April 28, 2024, 12:30:56 am

Author Topic: What does suicide mean?  (Read 4052 times)

Offline FML|red7z7

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: red7z7
  • Coins: 284
  • Race: Undead
What does suicide mean?
« on: August 06, 2011, 03:59:33 pm »
So I see everyone talk about suicide and there seems to be a lot of debate on what's actually considered suiciding and what's not. So this thread aims to define the term more precisely and clear up some of the confusion.

My interpretation as a noob is that suicide means engaging in a solo with someone despite the fact that it's costly for the attacker. Further and depends on the context of whats happening on the rest of the map.

Examples:
player X engages player Y for 15 minutes while the other two players  hoard. Suicide.

player X engages player Y for 15 minutes while the other two players are also fighting. Not suicide.

Player X engages player Y and kills player Y off, while player X loses a lot himself. In a 4 way this is not suicide, but in a 3 way it is.

Not only does it seem to be based on context, but it's also a scale. The less the fight cost the attacker, the less its considered suicide.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 04:01:05 pm by red7z7 »

Offline DarKNeSSCaLLs

• Blademaster
  • The Imbalanced one
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: DarKNeSSCaLLsMe
  • Race: Orc
Re: What does suicide mean?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 04:05:15 pm »
Suicide can be intentional or non-intentional.

Suicide basically means using ALL of your resources possible and focusing on only one person, ensuring that he dies or is severely weakened and unable to win, but also sacrificing the win for yourself.

Sometimes, noobs or other players new to FFA will unintentionally do "suicide" by constantly focusing on one player and using solo tactics and 100 food, after that person is eliminated they are surprised to see that the other player has 20k gold and wins easily.

There is also lots of manip that can surround the term, many people threaten or claim they will go suicide on one when in fact they use it as a manip tactic to use on the other players.

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: WorpeX
  • Coins: 100
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 04:19:32 pm »
What Darkness said is 100% correct. Very well put.

Offline hydro

• Shaman
  • Never give me your phone number!
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: UnholydreadlorD
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 09:45:42 am »
To me, suicide means to act intentionally or unintentionally in a way that removes your chances of winning the game.  To suicide another is to do the same but in a way that also reduces another's chances of winning the game. 

Offline FML|Renaud

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • ex King of FFA
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: FML_Renaud
  • Race: Night Elf
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 12:11:04 pm »
To me suicide is intentionally forgetting about winning the game, on concentrating on making someone else lose (ie: not caring about the other players hoarding or killing your main while you solo that person).  it IS possible to change your mind half way through a suicide.  Because you either realize you still want to win, or because you realize you have good chance.  However, it usually takes time to change your mind (more than one attack). 

The typical reason for a suicide, is to "punish" or have revenge against a player who you feel has either killed your chance of winning and/or your enjoyment.  In most case it is a childish act.

Offline FML|Renaud

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • ex King of FFA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 12:17:32 pm »
ps: the reason ppl said i suicide a lot, is because i usually go 100 and hit whoever touches me first (like killing an archer) until they (or I) are dead.  And usually don't stop even when harassed by someone else.

However this is not a suicide, because the only way im able to win battles is with huge hero OR 100 vs 50 (sometime 100 vs 80).   And I noticed in the past that when i focused on harasser, my "target" would usually come back at me... very angrily, which is why i always try to finish them.  (but i do tp to defend against an army :o ).  And to make sure i don't ruin someone chances of winning for no reason, i decided to wait until they touches me, to go 100 on them.

So it looks like im suiciding someone every game, but i think it's more like p4k

Offline Slythe

• Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Slythe
  • Race: Random
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 12:53:23 pm »
ZzZz next time save ur last word , renaud ! now u will have to explain what p4k stands for ;P.

Offline FML|Renaud

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • ex King of FFA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 01:35:02 pm »
p4k is sending your lone dk into nooblex main to kill wisp, until he hits your dk, and then going  necrowagon at him.  In the case he does not hit your dk, you can still go and hit him :D

Offline Peregrine

• Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Peregrine
  • Coins: 168
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 04:45:11 pm »
So this MightyMurrock, whoever he is (can we get an IP check), seems to hate me which is fine. But he also seems intent on making me lose without care whether he wins. Is that suicide? Also, if a player is playing FML to ruin another player, is that something we are allowing?

Ugrilainen

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 12:43:37 am »
So this MightyMurrock, whoever he is (can we get an IP check), seems to hate me which is fine. But he also seems intent on making me lose without care whether he wins. Is that suicide? Also, if a player is playing FML to ruin another player, is that something we are allowing?

We saw that in half the game, i had virtue on my part

Offline FML|Renaud

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • ex King of FFA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 07:45:28 am »
Well as an obs from eshan game's and not a replay viewer who paused and looked at the 3 diffrent perspective, it seemed like every time you peaced with murrock, you would then backstab him, either by hitting him (though he might have re-hit you first) or by manniping against him (if i hear ppl talking about teaming me, i will try to take one out asap, or if im dead, i will try to harrass them to delay my death).  The reason he focused on you only, was mostlikely because rebuke never hitted him, and so he did not feel he had to defend against him.

Or you might be right.  On the bright side, if he does hold a grudge for something, the chance you meet him again in FML are slim

Offline Slythe

• Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Slythe
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 12:31:28 pm »
:p i predicted in the game-chat that eshan would call murrock suiciding him... and about the grudges, that is mb a reason why eshan was hiding behind an actors name, or why would u smurf like this?

Offline Seksi

• FML Contributor
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: sEksi
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 05:59:19 pm »
Attempting to play an FFA game with one or more Orc opponents

Offline FML|Renaud

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • ex King of FFA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 06:19:19 pm »
LOL!

Offline Peregrine

• Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Peregrine
  • Coins: 168
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 06:31:56 pm »
I don't fear grudges or Murrock I can beat him easily but I don't want him to ruin integrity of the league and to mess up my chance at enjoying the first real FML in over a year

And I didnt team or manip murrock in the game but i did try to destroy him fast because he talked about hating me and killing before the game so I knew he would be dangerous if left alive. after the game he talked more about hating me and killing me anytime he sees me