March 29, 2024, 11:31:05 am

Author Topic: Communication Pause  (Read 10676 times)

Offline tuna

• Peon
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: tunnah
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Random
Re: Communication Pause
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2017, 07:37:40 am »
If we ever find that this rule is being abused or makes the game frustrating to watch/play, we will consider banning it.

Would you please explain this to me. Are you going to ban this rule or a player who abuse it?

DV-

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2017, 07:38:17 am »
Its most dumb decision that was ever made by fml.

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: WorpeX
  • Race: Undead
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2017, 07:50:59 am »
If we ever find that this rule is being abused or makes the game frustrating to watch/play, we will consider banning it.

Would you please explain this to me. Are you going to ban this rule or a player who abuse it?

We are discussing banning this for Season 25 but don't want to change/add new rules during the middle of an event (team battle royale).

Anyone saying this is a rule change is absolutely being ridiculous. Someone had pause-maniped in a battle royale game earlier which caused a bit of a commotion. We wanted to clarify what the league's stance is on this behavior. Right now, it is allowed.

As I said before, NOTHING HAS CHANGED. This is a clarification post.  When we make a rule change it will include the official wording, rule number and we will update the rule book page.

Offline QQs

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2017, 07:58:31 am »

We are discussing banning this for Season 25 but don't want to change/add new rules during the middle of an event (team battle royale).

Anyone saying this is a rule change is absolutely being ridiculous. Someone had pause-maniped in a battle royale game earlier which caused a bit of a commotion. We wanted to clarify what the league's stance is on this behavior. Right now, it is allowed.

As I said before, NOTHING HAS CHANGED. This is a clarification post.  When we make a rule change it will include the official wording, rule number and we will update the rule book page.

Just to clarify the situation -  Do I am allowed to pause the game 3 times for 10 mins for manipping? And the other players are not allowed to unpause my pause?

"QQs is rly good at doing Mannequin Challenge with his units at his main" DV-

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2017, 08:05:29 am »

Just to clarify the situation -  Do I am allowed to pause the game 3 times for 10 mins for manipping? And the other players are not allowed to unpause my pause?

Rule 3.40b and 3.40c in the rule book should clarify that more. This is the current ruling on the situation:

Quote from: Rule book
3.40 Pausing Match

3.40a Limits

Pausing the match is allowed in consideration with the 3 timeouts per player limit. However, abuse of this system is considered unsportsmanlike and will have consequences.

3.40b Duration

A player is allowed to pause the game for up to 10 minutes (total across their 3 allowed pauses). After 10 minutes the other players can choose to resume the game at their own discretion without penalty.

3.40c Unpausing

When unpausing, players must get verbal indication from each other player that they are ready to resume, with the exception of players that have been away for over 10 minutes as per 3.40b.

Offline Tleilaxu

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2017, 08:14:16 am »
Horrible decision. Instead of making pause manipping implicitly disallowed you've now opened the flood gates for 10 min pause-and-spam fests.

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2017, 08:27:39 am »
Horrible decision. Instead of making pause manipping implicitly disallowed you've now opened the flood gates for 10 min pause-and-spam fests.

Like Renaud already said, abuse will get all types of pause-manip banned pretty quickly. In fact, abusing this is already banned in rule 3.40a. Your example situation is, in my opinion, abuse.

I understand everyones concern and its definitely warranted. We're trying not to overly control the FFA games and just let players play. Right now we don't believe that pause-manip is being abused or overly used. Obviously if it becomes an issue we will take action.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 08:34:03 am by FML|WorpeX »

Ponty

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2017, 08:36:40 am »
Players should not be allowed to talk about the current game during the pauses. If I want to go shit and need to pause, you allow players to continue manipping without me being able to countermanip.
The game can't continue during the pauses... they should only be available for people who really need them for something non-game relative

Also it makes no sense to wait for players to abuse that rule to forbid it when we can already prevently ban it. No one likes the manip pauses here except maybe Ena and Eshan  :icon_wink:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 08:41:51 am by Ponty »

Offline FML|Renaud

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • ex King of FFA
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: FML_Renaud
  • Race: Night Elf
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2017, 10:27:10 am »
just a couple of clarifications:
-you don't get 3x pause of 10 min, for a total of 30 min; you get 10 min TOTAL
-if we allow pause manip, we MUST forbid unpause during pause manip, otherwise you get incident like the eshan-cumulo game, where eshan paused, and cumulo though it was a pause to manip so resume.
-like worpex said... this is technically not a new rule, it was just something that some admin (me) said was part of the grey area and started yelling whenever someone did. While I'm not a big fan of pause manip, I HATE grey areas. I would rather a rule I don't like than a rule that changes based on who the admin interpreting it is.

Offline Tleilaxu

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2017, 10:33:33 am »
-if we allow pause manip, we MUST forbid unpause during pause manip, otherwise you get incident like the eshan-cumulo game, where eshan paused, and cumulo though it was a pause to manip so resume.
Lol @ Culo manipping admins into believing his bullshit  :icon_lol:

Offline ZsSuperCumulo

• Super-Blademaster
  • Ich der Beste
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: SuperCumulo@Lordaeron
  • Race: Human
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2017, 10:39:11 am »
otherwise you get incident like the eshan-cumulo game, where eshan paused, and cumulo though it was a pause to manip so resume.

yup, that's exactly what happened.

On this topic.
Personally I'm not a big fan of manipulating during pause, but I think it should be up to the players to allow such actions. For instance, let's say it's a 4 way, 40 mins into the game, then 1 pauses for 2 mins so the other 3 players should remain quiet, but ofc one of them will initiate some sort of talk that would drag into more talk if the other two participate; in other words, it is up to the players' responsability not to play along the manipulation chat initiated by one of the players. Put it simply be quiet during the pause or simply say: "guys please, let's stfu, shall we?"

Perhaps something that could be done is give warnings if people persist in manipulating during a pause, and only give penalty points after, let's say 2 warnings during the season, and the penalty could be between -5 and -10 pts. Of course the warning would have to be legitimate, if someone initiates manip during pause, but then shuts up, then there is no need for a warning, but if he continues maniping or saying the usual line of talk "I lost this, I broke early, I have no expo, he has higher lvls, etc", then a warning should be given.

Now that we are talking about the rules and grey areas, I think there are some aspects of the rule-book that can be improved and there should be an indication of how many points during the season will be taken off rather than simply saying "a penalty would be given" because this is open to arbitrary decision, and imo it's better to have the penalty out there before the season begins so that players know the consequences before they even attempt to do it.

«Espero pacientemente el dia que deba mostrar mi verdadero poder» Supremo

Offline SteppinRazor

• Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: SteppinRazor
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2017, 10:44:00 am »
My thoughts are this rule is intended to allow players breaks to use the bathroom or whatever but the reality is that now every game will be extended 30 minutes for pause manips.  Not gonna lie, I don't see this helping too much in any way.

If a player needs a legit break, they should be allowed and another player should be penalized if they unpause but chat shouldn't be allowed during pause related to game play
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 10:45:36 am by SteppinRazor »

Ponty

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2017, 10:50:05 am »
Just change the rule, and say that players can't talk about the game they are playing during a pause.

I don't see what's so wrong about changing the rulebook in the middle of the event.  :icon_neutral:

Offline Peregrine

• Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Peregrine
  • Coins: 168
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2017, 11:29:32 am »
I see my fans have mentioned me a few times so ill add my thoughts

I am NOT in favor of "pause TO manip". The admins are correct that this is very rare and i dont remember anyone pausing to manip in my games

But when someone else pauses - sometimes for up to ten minutes, and im sitting there at my screen just waiting for that person, for whatever reason, i should be allowed to talk about what I want.

If I want to talk about the game, maybe I will. Or maybe ill use that time to go piss. Either way, the players should be free to choose. If you dont want to respond, thats your choice. But its unfair to force players in a middle of an intense game to suddenly stop and wait silently just because ONE player had too much mystery meat the night before

This is FFA and its a video game, I dont want too much admin control. The current rule is not a change from before, its a clarification. Manip during pause should be allowed. PAUSE TO MANIP should be controlled. If someone continues to abuse the system, the admins have a right to penalize them

So basically, the rule is fine as it is. They just clarified it for us.

Ponty

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2017, 12:57:59 pm »
Whats unfair about not trying to manip behind the back of someone who just paused to go pee ?

Manip during pause should be allowed if the player takes more than 5min to come back, pause to manip should just not exist and be sanctioned
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 01:06:33 pm by Ponty »