April 23, 2024, 09:26:52 am

Author Topic: Communication Pause  (Read 10747 times)

Offline massmoretankz

• Administrator
  • Peon
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: MMT#21873
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Undead
Re: Communication Pause
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2017, 02:17:50 pm »
What is this decision? Were you guys smocking crack? *rollseyes*

Offline FML|red7z7

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: red7z7
  • Coins: 284
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2017, 03:24:42 pm »
Nice discussion so far. Here's the way I see it.

- Some people seem to believe pausing to manip is some kind of overpowered strategy and some huge advantage for certain players. I really doubt this is the case. If this thread is any indication, then the guy who pauses to manip will be immediately 3v1d right after. I think it is another tool to use, but one that can't be used effectively very often and requires some finesse in the right situation.

- The abuse clause of the rule still applies. If someone pauses to sit there for 3 minutes or more just spamming chat and testing everyone patience, then I think you would be hard-pressed to find an admin that doesn't think that is abusing the system.

Here's a couple scenarios and how I personally would apply the ruling:

1) Bob gets attacked by Jack. Bob pauses for 1 minute to rationalize to Jack why he should instead attack Tony. Verdict: this is okay.

2) Bob gets attacked by Jack. Bob pauses to flame Jack for attacking him. Jack flames him back and other players ask him to unpause. Bob unpauses. Verdict: this is okay, but it will surely hurt Bob's reputation for poor sportsmanship and probably work against him in the end.

3) Bob gets attacked by Jack. Bob pauses to say why he shouldn't be attacked. Everyone tells him to unpause. Bob doesn't unpause for 5 minutes despite not having a valid reason to do so. Verdict: this is abuse. Bob will probably get a warning on the first incident and penalty points if he repeats it.

4) Bob pauses the game during fights multiple times. Verdict: this is abuse. Bob probably gets either a warning or penalty points depending on how many times he did it and the impact it had on the game.

Hope that gives you a sense of the intention of the rules around pausing. But actually there's a better unwritten rule that will always keep you out of trouble: don't be an asshole.

DV-

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2017, 03:37:18 pm »
I like how terrible players are not considering scenario when 2 ppl team him and pause to coordinate.
Never happened to them, why would they think about it.

Ena paused to manip vs Nick and they continued to 3v1 him although they stopped for some time before.
But thats not abuse since no one asked to unpause.

Offline Tleilaxu

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2017, 05:05:05 pm »
Nice discussion so far. Here's the way I see it.

- Some people seem to believe pausing to manip is some kind of overpowered strategy and some huge advantage for certain players. I really doubt this is the case. If this thread is any indication, then the guy who pauses to manip will be immediately 3v1d right after. I think it is another tool to use, but one that can't be used effectively very often and requires some finesse in the right situation.

- The abuse clause of the rule still applies. If someone pauses to sit there for 3 minutes or more just spamming chat and testing everyone patience, then I think you would be hard-pressed to find an admin that doesn't think that is abusing the system.

Here's a couple scenarios and how I personally would apply the ruling:

1) Bob gets attacked by Jack. Bob pauses for 1 minute to rationalize to Jack why he should instead attack Tony. Verdict: this is okay.

2) Bob gets attacked by Jack. Bob pauses to flame Jack for attacking him. Jack flames him back and other players ask him to unpause. Bob unpauses. Verdict: this is okay, but it will surely hurt Bob's reputation for poor sportsmanship and probably work against him in the end.

3) Bob gets attacked by Jack. Bob pauses to say why he shouldn't be attacked. Everyone tells him to unpause. Bob doesn't unpause for 5 minutes despite not having a valid reason to do so. Verdict: this is abuse. Bob will probably get a warning on the first incident and penalty points if he repeats it.

4) Bob pauses the game during fights multiple times. Verdict: this is abuse. Bob probably gets either a warning or penalty points depending on how many times he did it and the impact it had on the game.

Hope that gives you a sense of the intention of the rules around pausing. But actually there's a better unwritten rule that will always keep you out of trouble: don't be an asshole.
I don't think number one is okay at all. It's an RTS game. You should chat/manip while playing the game. Also, remember that there are 2 other players in the game whose gameflow might be disrupted. It's really frustrating to be in a micro intensive fight and then have somebody pause the game. Especially if they don't even announce the pause (like cumulo does every time).
Anyway, I actually agree with Eshan. There probably shouldn't be a specific rule of this, since it would be too rigid, but my problem with this thread is that it sounds like you are implicitly condoning pause manip whereas before we all thought it was banned.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 05:07:38 pm by Tleilaxu »

Offline FML|Renaud

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • ex King of FFA
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: FML_Renaud
  • Race: Night Elf
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2017, 05:14:47 pm »
We are implicitly condoning pause manip.

It used to be in a grey area where some admin would allow it, other wouldn't, and the most that you would get out of it is a warning.

Now it's officially out of the grey area and into the white one. If we see that it causes a problem we will send it to the black area.

But no more grey area, where admin had all the powers of saying "this time it's ok"

DV-

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2017, 06:02:04 pm »
Well, I think I can make you send it to the black area in one game.

Offline Tleilaxu

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2017, 06:13:46 pm »
We are implicitly condoning pause manip.
Lol it seems the admin team bullied Renaud into submission.

Offline ZsSuperCumulo

• Super-Blademaster
  • Ich der Beste
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: SuperCumulo@Lordaeron
  • Race: Human
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2017, 06:55:51 pm »
wow lol, this topic has blown out of proportion  :icon_surprised:

Something tells me @FML|WorpeX will close this topic soon  :icon_smile:

«Espero pacientemente el dia que deba mostrar mi verdadero poder» Supremo

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: WorpeX
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2017, 07:00:55 pm »
wow lol, this topic has blown out of proportion  :icon_surprised:

Something tells me @FML|WorpeX will close this topic soon  :icon_smile:

naaahhh its all good discussion. I only close threads when it comes flaming.

Offline ena1337

• Tauren
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: ena1337
  • Race: Orc
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2017, 08:44:21 pm »
ALL ATTACK NICK HE IS SUPERIOR

lol

Offline letshavesomefun

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2017, 01:38:28 am »
i say we test this rule in a 6way with: ena sweet cumulo eshan qwest

and one voluntarely sacrifice

dv you wanna be that poor soul?

Offline FML|Renaud

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • ex King of FFA
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: FML_Renaud
  • Race: Night Elf
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2017, 02:17:17 am »
Oh we should make a new mode!
Every 10 minute, a player is picked randomly.
For the next 10 minute, that player is the only one allowed to chat.

Offline SweeT

• Shaman
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: SweeT
  • Race: Orc
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2017, 02:57:28 am »
DV, nick constantly killed my expos before we even saw each other. He also kept hitting me, he got the 3v1 he deserved. I even offered my peace but he refused

Offline Peregrine

• Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Peregrine
  • Coins: 168
  • Race: Random
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2017, 04:18:39 pm »
The scenarios Red described seem bad to me, that doesnt usually happen in FFA games. If its minor i guess its okay, but there should be a difference between pause TO manip and manipping while someone else pauses.

Theres nothing wrong with the second case. If someone goes away, you can talk or manip, and when that player gets back he can read the log before unpausing and respond. As long as his total time is under 10 mins pause. No one should be rewarded for pausing and wasting 3+ other players time

Personally i take my shits before a game so i have no sympathy for long pauses, unless theres an emergency

Offline ZsSuperCumulo

• Super-Blademaster
  • Ich der Beste
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: SuperCumulo@Lordaeron
  • Race: Human
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2017, 05:32:43 pm »
Eshan, are u watching Alien Covenant when it comes out ?  :icon_smile:

«Espero pacientemente el dia que deba mostrar mi verdadero poder» Supremo