April 29, 2024, 01:50:11 pm

Author Topic: Season 14 idea  (Read 11099 times)

Offline Persuade

• FML Contributor
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: persuade
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Random
Season 14 idea
« on: August 20, 2012, 01:17:19 pm »
Seeing as playing the same players over and over has made game-play at times monotonous and predictable, I have an idea that could potentially add some flavor to spice up season 14.

It would require a lot of dedication from the players and staff, so I propose we make it a one division season with a small pool of players, such as 16 or 24. 

It will be a "smurf" season essentially.

Worpex and other admins who aren't playing could perhaps assign certain players a different smurf of their own creation for each round.  Granted this would mean we have to use the bot as well, since creation would be extremely annoying over ggc.

We would have a group email thread for each round, where everyone details the times they can play, then an admin chooses a time that is good for all players.

As we all know, we all play the same players over and over, with certain players being labeled in a certain manner.

Does anyone else have any thought about this type of season?

Offline Redkeekee

• Tauren
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Redkeekee
  • Race: Night Elf
Re: Season 14 idea
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 01:21:41 pm »
If this were a reality I would reconsider my withdrawl from s14.
:ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne:

:ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne:

Offline MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMK

• Grunt
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMK
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 01:25:52 pm »
i tought about this too but it will not be difficult to discover who are behind the smurfs...
after round 1 everyone will be known...

Offline Persuade

• FML Contributor
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 01:26:40 pm »
i tought about this too but it will not be difficult to discover who are behind the smurfs...
after round 1 everyone will be known...

which is why i said we use a different name every game, created by admins themselves :D

Offline MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMK

• Grunt
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMK
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 01:32:45 pm »
even then its easy...

you see mass gargs/wyrms coming to your base with imba micro... who else then maga would it be? (the only ud in this league that can actually micro)

or you see panda kotg potm chippo hit and run... that's renaud

or a human with am bm pally... Q-veta

or an ud who makes a banshee, steal a peon or wisp and makes dual race... ugri

etc...

Offline FML|Mage

• FML Bets Season 1 Winner
  • Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: practice_mage
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 01:37:01 pm »
This has been discussed extensively before, but never acted upon.  I think with the bot it could be feasible.

Some things I think would be important. 

Different Smurfs every round.

Round 1: FML-1 : FML-16
Round 2: FML-17 : FML -32
Etc Etc.  The names aren't important, only that they be uniformed and created by admins not players.

All accounts that will be used for a round are created before the round matchups are announced so that no one tries to dick over the round by creating that account.

Small player base.  Qualies would be good (or just admin selection based off of who they think would present the best season), but this won't work with a large amount of people. 

Completely Different names used on the points ladder/rank/place.  I think that in order to preserve the spirit of the season everything should be anonymous. 

Trying to call out someone's name in game, be it correct or incorrect, is banned.  Manip/don't manip based off of in game scenarios not reputations.

Things to be considered:

Will playoffs and finals be anonymous as well?

Will players in a match be announced after it is played?

How will scheduling work.

Will add more as I think of it.

even then its easy...

you see mass gargs/wyrms coming to your base with imba micro... who else then maga would it be? (the only ud in this league that can actually micro)

etc...

This would provide the perfect opportunity for players to expand and try new things.  Maga goes that combo because it gives him the best chance since people fear him for his micro.  If he went a weaker combo he would still be teamed out based off of reputation and wouldn't have the units to beat the teaming.

If no one knew who he was, and he went for a different combo, then he wouldn't be figured out nearly as quickly and could take out people with surprise strategies that shouldn't work ordinarily but he would have the micro to pull it off.

Renaud likes to play other races I know, but no one would expect it. 

This would provide a perfect chance for people to adapt and be original.  Yeah, people would be figured out sometimes.  But honestly, if you get figured out 9/10 times it will be your own fault for being too predictable.  Some things won't be helped like if Maga just dominates with micro.  But, stuff like unrelenting manip will give people and idea who it is.  That puts the person at a disadvantage.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 01:42:05 pm by practicemage »
Hi

Offline Persuade

• FML Contributor
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 01:38:52 pm »
even then its easy...

etc...

There are a few players who can micro undead well lol.  Maga isn't the only one. 

It would give players a chance to play a different race & style without consequence.

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: WorpeX
  • Race: Undead
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 01:44:48 pm »
Sadly, this idea would destroy the spectator and replay value of FML. Not knowing who the players are in any of the games and not knowing who is winning during an anonymous season makes any sort of following of the league pointless.

It has been a heavily debated topic, but I do not like it.

Offline Persuade

• FML Contributor
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 01:58:29 pm »
Sadly, this idea would destroy the spectator and replay value of FML. Not knowing who the players are in any of the games and not knowing who is winning during an anonymous season makes any sort of following of the league pointless.

Once game starts, the admin will say who the players are.

At end of round, say who won what game, reveal who did what, etc.

Then  for round 2 we just do anon again.  People won't know who's who until that round ends. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 02:02:00 pm by persuade »

Offline Persuade

• FML Contributor
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 02:03:11 pm »

Once game starts, the admin will say who the players are.

At end of round, say who won what game, reveal who did what, etc.

Then  for round 2 we just do anon again.  People won't know who's who until that round ends.

IF we do round robin, this will be a problem, so the only solution is to find a way where we don't get revealed through process of elimination of future games.

Offline FML|Renaud

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • ex King of FFA
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: FML_Renaud
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 02:06:56 pm »
even then its easy...

etc...

that would mean ppl would have to scout in order to know this! and you wouldn't be rushed based on who you are!

Also, rkk/mage/renaud would basically become 1 person :P (unless you see a huge main, then it's rkk, and if you see mass feary, then it's me) THE CHIPPO TRINITY!

@persuade
We are thinking of reducing the numbers of players and combining the two conference

as far as the anom thing goes, i suppose the best way to do it would be to schedule normally, but create a custom map for each map, where the players are randomly assigned team, colors and their name are changed to p1,p2,p3,p4 (but are normal from an obs point of view) (and hide the loading screen ofc, so that you can't simply know who is who based on the race)

This would mean you would know who is in your game, and what race they choose before the game was started, but you have no clue what's their name/color/team

the downsides
1-replay viewers would all need to download these special maps
2-these special maps would have to be create... and i'm not sure it's possible (i'm pretty sure it's possible to change the name though)

Offline Persuade

• FML Contributor
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 02:08:59 pm »
even then its easy...

etc...

that would mean ppl would have to scout in order to know this! and you wouldn't be rushed based on who you are!

Also, rkk/mage/renaud would basically become 1 person :P (unless you see a huge main, then it's rkk, and if you see mass feary, then it's me) THE CHIPPO TRINITY!

@persuade
We are thinking of reducing the numbers of players and combining the two conference

as far as the anom thing goes, i suppose the best way to do it would be to schedule normally, but create a custom map for each map, where the players are randomly assigned team, colors and their name are changed to p1,p2,p3,p4 (but are normal from an obs point of view) (and hide the loading screen ofc, so that you can't simply know who is who based on the race)

This would mean you would know who is in your game, and what race they choose before the game was started, but you have no clue what's their name/color/team

the downsides
1-replay viewers would all need to download these special maps
2-these special maps would have to be create... and i'm not sure it's possible (i'm pretty sure it's possible to change the name though)

and a game with 3 elves and 1 orc makes it extremely hard for the orc player to identify who is who :)

Magadansky

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 02:39:16 pm »
The idea sounds nice. But an entire season is a risky attempt and, as already mentioned, there are downsides.

However, why not have such round? Like, if we have 4 rounds, the 3rd, for example, will be an anonymous one. This way we can see is it working and how good it is without potentially having a bad season.

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: WorpeX
  • Race: Undead
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 02:43:36 pm »
The idea sounds nice. But an entire season is a risky attempt and, as already mentioned, there are downsides.

However, why not have such round? Like, if we have 4 rounds, the 3rd, for example, will be an anonymous one. This way we can see is it working and how good it is without potentially having a bad season.

I'm thinking, instead of a round, what about an unrelated tournament?

Offline FML|Renaud

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • ex King of FFA
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: FML_Renaud
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 02:46:42 pm »
yeah, and even better, make the tournament at a specific date, that way we can all have ppl with aka, and no one knows who everyone is (since it's all at the same date, no need to schedule)