April 30, 2024, 12:35:14 am

Author Topic: Little thoughts about (pre?-) teaming  (Read 1903 times)

Ugrilainen

Little thoughts about (pre?-) teaming
« on: December 22, 2011, 12:18:14 am »
Guys,

Running this league is fun and watching good ffa games even more.

By itself, the ffa mode is abusable, and rules are hard to enforce, grey areas are many between a normal teaming due to circumstances, an abusing teaming after a peace agreed by pm, and an even more abusive teaming agreed pre game.

We had a lot of events of such, all different, and we have to take decisions on those. This isnt fun at all and it isnt fun to watch neither.

In the end I'd ask : what are you trying to achieve? This is no ladder and there isnt any money to win in the end.

Out of 32 players, some like to play with the "gray area". Just dont. There is no point testing the limit, we are no cop. We cannot know if two guys cheated with vent or decided long ago not to attack each other.

Just play the game as it should and avoid annihilating a player 2 vs 1 just to get rid of a guy and have a nice 1vs1 (Q Renaud game). There isnt really any rule applicable in this matter.

Do not pm a player pre game to form "an alliance" , this is game ruining. Only few does, mostly Q. You can peace according to pos but to a point. When you do it until total annihilation of the 3rd part, you enter an unholy shady part of the rulebook on which we dont want to see.

If these events keep multiplying, the league would be ruined. I wont admin it anymore that's a start but no one would play it at all. So let's go back to the basics.

Offline hejpådigStarshaped

• Shaman
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: DkH.Starshaped
  • Race: Human
Re: Little thoughts about (pre?-) teaming
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 12:34:00 am »

In the end I'd ask : what are you trying to achieve? This is no ladder and there isnt any money to win in the end.

This is why Rain and I were so pissed off at the guy telling Rain he couldn't obs my game.

Lightweight!

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 12:52:46 am »
Fun should be the most important reason to play in this league. I think eshan had exaggerated ambitions in this league which led him into this situation. I prefer to  have a league with 12 clean guys and losing every game instead of that preteaming garbage. 

Wrecktify

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 12:55:16 am »
Solution: Go back down to 16 players and kick all teh gays out of the league.

Offline Peregrine

• Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Peregrine
  • Coins: 168
  • Race: Random
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 01:09:01 am »
My ambition was winning - if thats exaggerated depends on how bad I play lol.

Caring for this league as the last remaining sanctuary for FFA is what led me to this situation. Being punished by the players I play with for trying to help the league and being accused of cheating is pretty unfair

Offline Walking.TrL

• Shaman
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Walking.TrL
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Undead
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 01:35:46 am »
Just play the game as it should and avoid annihilating a player 2 vs 1 just to get rid of a guy and have a nice 1vs1 (Q Renaud game). There isnt really any rule applicable in this matter.

What you are talking about is avoiding a strategy.  An in-game, fair strategy. Now when does it look stupid? When you are apart of the 2 and you lose the 1v1.  But hindsight is 20/20, right?

Do not pm a player pre game to form "an alliance" , this is game ruining

I responded to Eshan as a joke.  Other then this joke, I don't think anyone seriously tries to preteam.

You can peace according to pos but to a point.

This is also trying to say to someone don't do this strategy.  In FFA, you can peace for whatever reason you want to.  Say player 1 and 2 creep jack you, so you have nice feelings about player 3 and you peace with him.  Thats fair.  Say its a 3 way and player 1 hits you, so you peace with player 3.  Thats fair.  You cannot make a rule about who you can peace with and why.  Why? Because that would be silly :icon_lol:

When you do it until total annihilation of the 3rd part, you enter an unholy shady part of the rulebook on which we dont want to see

Not everyone likes to play the game of "balancing the strongest player".  Usually games like that end up by chance and you more or less have a 33% chance of winning the "balance" game.  So once again, you are talking about sticking to a certain "Strategy" because it sucks for players to get "picked on" and get killed for no reason.  Kind of like Darker (the elf in Rain/q/duck game) who was annihilated for no reason.  Was it fair to him? No.  Did he deserve it? No.  But thats one of the things that make FFA so exciting and unpredictable.  Anything happened. 

I would not play FFA if it was always two 1v1's to start.  Once the three way happens you stop your 1v1 and play the balance game.  Result: random winner.  And that is the game you are suggesting we all play because its fair. 

My two cents.

Ugrilainen

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 01:42:30 am »
I hear what you say, i was sharing thoughts. You are free to think different.

Of course i can start a game, pming Ebo and say "let's kick walking out" and we both run in your base with 100 food - you die.

Then we can pm again and say : let's kill renaud now, and do the same.

Finally we 1vs1, and one wins.

What is the point seriously

Offline Peregrine

• Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Peregrine
  • Coins: 168
  • Race: Random
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 01:46:11 am »
Ugri thats true, but the other players could also PM. So whoever has better manip comes out on top. Manip is an important tool. Also, suicide is a strong weapon. If two people team you, you can use a suicide to teach one of them that next time they better think twice. That is what RSM did to Q in his game, next time I doubt Q will behave the same way.

Thats what i should have done with Q/Renaud but it took me too long to realize I couldnt break their truce

Offline Walking.TrL

• Shaman
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Walking.TrL
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Undead
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 01:50:04 am »
I hear what you say, i was sharing thoughts. You are free to think different.

Of course i can start a game, pming Ebo and say "let's kick walking out" and we both run in your base with 100 food - you die.

Then we can pm again and say : let's kill renaud now, and do the same.

Finally we 1vs1, and one wins.

What is the point seriously

That is fair.  You may think "whats the point" but the winner is thinking he had a great strategy. Isn't that was skyfireice would do? Team from the start and win the 1v1?

Also understand that I have never seen a game do that, not even close. 

The way the recent match player out.

Player 1, 2, 3, 4 start the game
Player 1 rushes 2 and 3
Player 4 kills player 3
Player 1 and 2 try to team player 4
Player 4 and 2 kill player 1
Player 4 kills player 1

Yes its opinion, but you are always talking on behalf of the admins when you post on this board. So please take into consideration what it looks like when an admin posts this message telling everyone they shouldn't be teaming people out of the game.  Remember that other league where we all shared a laugh because it had the rule "no teaming"? Now think where your post is going and that. Yeah, weird.

Ugrilainen

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 02:15:10 am »
I wished i had seen more positive posts coming onto this thread. I was a little too optimistic I suppose.

I've led lot of seasons, I dont recall so much contestation about teaming/preteaming. Just once in S4 I think, Lel and Q on monsoon. Now it is every damn game. What was wrong before is now considered legit by half of the players.

I lost interest guys, do as you please.