April 26, 2024, 02:01:57 am

Author Topic: The Return of FML FFA Ladder  (Read 4947 times)

Offline FML|Mage

• FML Bets Season 1 Winner
  • Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: practice_mage
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Night Elf
The Return of FML FFA Ladder
« on: October 07, 2012, 10:14:05 pm »
 :FMLN:

As we have hinted at with previous announcements, Season 14 will not the only FML sponsored event to occur this winter.  Running simultaneously with Season 14 we will be bringing back the FML FFA Ladder.  Because we realize that there were a lot of great players who were not able to compete this season for various reason, the FML Ladder will be open to all players who register. 

The new ladder will run start following this post, Sunday October 7th, until the end of Season 14’s regular season Sunday December 2nd (Admins reserve the right to change this date based upon changing circumstances.)  The winner of FML Ladder Season 1 will receive $50 USD.  Without further ado…

FML Ladder Rules

1) To register for the ladder you must post the Bnet Name and GGC Name that you will be playing your games on in (this) thread.  Max of 2 Bnet Accounts and 1 GGC account per a player.  If you would like access to the bot on your account message Mage.

1a) All current FML players and players from last season will automatically be added to a Ladder Roster.  If we get the wrong accounts, you are not included automatically, or we just screwed up somewhere just post it in the thread.  There will be a sticked list of all current ladder players for players to check here

1b) Shared accounts will not be allowed, any player found to be allowing other players to use their account to play FML Ladder games will be banned.

2) All replays must be submitted to admin@FFAMasters.net by winner.  The replay will then be uploaded by either PBM or Mage to keep the surprise of who wins the game intact.

3) 75% of all players in the game must belong to the FML ladder prior to the start of the game.

3a) The game counting for the ladder must be agreed upon by all FML Ladder players before the game starts, and announced in the start of the game.

3b) Bnet ladder games will not count.  All player names must be visible.

3c) There must be a minimum of 4 players in the FFA game.

4) There will be no map pool for the ladder.  Maps just have to be agreed upon by all players.

5) Losers of a match will receive -1 point.  Winners of a match will receive +X points where X = the number of players in a match (capped at 6 points maximum, even if more players)

5a) Players cannot go into negative points.

6) FML reserves the right to add or change the rules at any point if they feel it is necessary

6a) This is meant to be fun, don’t be a dick and try to go by the technicality of the rules but against the spirit of the game.

Rules will be sticked here.

For more information or any questions feel free to contact mage or PBM. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 03:32:44 pm by FML|mage »
Hi

Offline Persuade

• FML Contributor
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: persuade
  • Race: Random
Re: The Return of FML FFA Ladder
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 11:55:05 pm »
where is the ladder standings?

what happens if it gets to a point where people team someone in first place, is that allowed?

Ugri2

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 12:13:33 am »
Ladder you do wtf you want, like a ladder ( I guess).

We just did one ladder game just now

Offline Elessar

• Peon
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Elessar
  • Race: Orc
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 02:46:42 am »
yer and in the ladder game ugri deliberately fed renaud level 10 heros so nobody could beat him! It's collusion between admins imo  :icon_twisted:

Offline Elessar

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 02:47:33 am »
just to clarify, i was just joking   :icon_biggrin:

Offline ATiBright

• Shaman
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: ATi.Bright
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 11:47:20 am »
Some constructive criticism I'd like to bring to the table.  Ladder systems don't work when its not experience points based, because its easy to abuse.  Player A plays 10 FML ladder games including several against a fucking behemoth of a player known as Magadansky who lets pretend is rank 1 on the FML ladder.  Player A only manages to win 3 out of 10 games.  Player B is a crafty player and also plays 10 games only he knows there is no point in playing vs the most godly players (lets say he avoids top 5 players on FML ladder) and he manages to win 6 out of 10 games.  Now when it comes to a ladder it would be more impressive and wins should be worth more weight to the guy managing to beat opponents at the top of the ladder, but player B ends up with far more points by playing only vs weaker opponents.  Its the same situation that happened back in warcraft 3's early days patch 1.14 I went 38-0 solo because I knew if I canceled my que every 20 seconds and restarted it I would never be forced to play opponents higher level then myself.

TLDR: Please implement an experience point system like one of the old FML ladders had to benefit people who beat top ranked players, and doesn't give as much XP to players who only face people on the lower half.

Offline Pinballmap

• FML Contributor
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Replay Master
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Pinballmap
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 11:49:38 am »
Your right the old fml ladder experience system was really great and it was not possible to abuse the system.

(I suggested in admin board that we use this script, but seems like worp doesnt have it anymore, but im confident that we will implement it to the fml page)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 11:55:47 am by FML|Pinballmap »

Ugri2

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 12:31:53 pm »
Sounds very complicated to do (I wasnt around for the first FML Ladder). I'm impressed if there is a script to take the players skill level into account

Offline Persuade

• FML Contributor
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: persuade
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 12:35:29 pm »
Sounds very complicated to do (I wasnt around for the first FML Ladder). I'm impressed if there is a script to take the players skill level into account

just assign everyone a secret number 1-10 based on what all the admins perceive their skill to be.  Take into account awareness, control, micro, macro, etc. etc.

So like gnom would be a 10, and maga a 8, ugri a 7, wreck a 2, etc etc.

Ugri2

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 12:40:07 pm »
IMO it doesnt matter. The goal of the ladder is to promote activity. If good players are active enough, they will get the top of the ladder. If they arent, someone else will!

Maga for instance is super active in cg, as well as Seksi or Renaud. I dont see how they wouldnt get the top of the ladder. I am not a superstar but I wont refuse to play them, it is SO FUCKING HARD to find a game why wouldnt I?

Offline FML|Mage

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 12:47:10 pm »
Quote from: Lewis
Some constructive criticism I'd like to bring to the table.  Ladder systems don't work when its not experience points based, because its easy to abuse.  Player A plays 10 FML ladder games including several against a fucking behemoth of a player known as Magadansky who lets pretend is rank 1 on the FML ladder.  Player A only manages to win 3 out of 10 games.  Player B is a crafty player and also plays 10 games only he knows there is no point in playing vs the most godly players (lets say he avoids top 5 players on FML ladder) and he manages to win 6 out of 10 games.  Now when it comes to a ladder it would be more impressive and wins should be worth more weight to the guy managing to beat opponents at the top of the ladder, but player B ends up with far more points by playing only vs weaker opponents.  Its the same situation that happened back in warcraft 3's early days patch 1.14 I went 38-0 solo because I knew if I canceled my que every 20 seconds and restarted it I would never be forced to play opponents higher level then myself.

IMO it doesnt matter. The goal of the ladder is to promote activity. If good players are active enough, they will get the top of the ladder. If they arent, someone else will!

Maga for instance is super active in cg, as well as Seksi or Renaud. I dont see how they wouldnt get the top of the ladder. I am not a superstar but I wont refuse to play them, it is SO FUCKING HARD to find a game why wouldnt I?

I think Ugri has answered this question well enough for now.  Lewis, I think you make a really good point, and it may well be something that we need to look into for future ladder seasons.  For now though, the primary purpose of the FML Ladder is to: grow the community, promote activity, provide more good replays, and most importantly have fun. 

There is some money involved, but it isn't much and it is primarily there to help encourage people to play and take this seriously.  It is not meant to make everyone try to beat the system and take advantage of others.  I certainly hope that this will not happen, but I do refer everyone to the last rule of the ladder:

6a) This is meant to be fun, don’t be a dick and try to go by the technicality of the rules but against the spirit of the game.
Hi

Offline Elessar

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 05:16:47 pm »
Is there going to be a spot in the regular FML finals for the ladder winner (as someone suggested)?

Btw, I agree there doesn't need to be a ranking system or w/e.

Offline FML|Renaud

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • ex King of FFA
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: FML_Renaud
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 12:54:05 am »
@louis
You are right, we should have a better system.  However, this would push back the date of the ladder, and god knows we don't want to wait a few weeks (or we could have it up asap, but full of evil bugs)!  I will see what I can do about getting an automatic system with xp, like the last ladder for the next season.

But the current activity of fml cg ffa is not at a level where we can pick and choose who we go against repeatedly, so it shouldn't be a big problem yet (hopefully the activity level will be boosted by the ladder, and we will have reason to worry)

Also, I believe the winner of the Ladder will be decided by a final ffa between the top 4?  If so, such players probably wont last very long in the final (although since I don't see this in these rules, it might have been dropped somewhere in the process and I missed it)

@elessar
at some point it was discussed to have the winner of the ladder go to the fml semis, although since I don't see this in these rules, it might have been dropped somewhere in the process and I missed it.  I will try to get a confirmation

Offline Cai

• Peon
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Dkh.Katun
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 02:39:10 pm »
bnet name: Cai

Offline FML|Mage

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 02:41:11 pm »
Is there going to be a spot in the regular FML finals for the ladder winner (as someone suggested)?

Btw, I agree there doesn't need to be a ranking system or w/e.

That will not be happening this season, but we may discuss it in future season because it is a very interesting idea to work with.

Quote from: cai
bnet name: Cai

Added, but the correct spot to put it would be here
Hi