April 26, 2024, 12:10:14 pm

Poll

Should PM chat be banned from future FML games?

Yes, Ban PM.
No, PM is part of FFA.

Author Topic: Banning PM Chat  (Read 13291 times)

Offline ReFlekKt

Re: Banning PM Chat
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2012, 01:05:24 pm »
^Voted like a true teamer.

In all seriousness though it may be as you say - that people just need to learn to scout and get smarter about who to team out, and that it's only a matter of time before that happens - and I hope you're right, because it is a lot more interesting to see players take decisive action early on when the iron is still hot.

Case in point was Q-veta's game with y.z. (on Deadlock I think), where Q-veta rushed him out quickly, precisely because of the danger y.z. would have posed later in the game. I (and I'm sure other people are as well) am looking forward to seeing more games like that, especially where the roles are reversed and a player like, say, Duck will have no qualms or reservations about rushing out someone like Q-veta for the same reason (or, as happened to you vs Starshaped on Gold Rush, force him to relocate), and other players in the game won't feel like Duck must now be teamed for the rest of the game, as Q-veta wasn't vs y.z. - after all, he had just rushed out a dangerous player.

Maybe people do just need to smarten up and study FFA. I know there's a good chance I'm wrong on all this since I'm not primarily an FFA player. But I am wondering what fighters think of the idea.

EDIT: and when I say "fighters" I'm referring to players such as Dase, Maga, Duck and Darkness, and anyone else who generally has no problem cleaning up in fights. I know my fighter/teamer terminology is reductive since most players are hybrids, but it's just for argument's sake, as I'm sure everyone understands already.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 01:34:17 pm by ReFlekKt »

Offline rygorych

• Super-Blademaster
  • Pro Troll
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Ebo
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Orc
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2012, 04:13:56 pm »
Problem is, FFA isn't competitive enough for people to smarten up.

Moronic strats work precisely because people aren't good enough at FFA. Many powerful "fighter" combos/strats work only because they rely on either everyone doing a "fighter" strat, or everyone not giving a shit and not teaming at the right time.

I don't think it's going to change. There are many 50 total active FFAers, and without competition there is no need to improve :/

Offline Kruppe

« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2012, 08:16:00 pm »
Some annoying shit removed.

Sorry again.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 08:20:26 am by Kruppe »

Offline FML|Renaud

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • ex King of FFA
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: FML_Renaud
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Night Elf
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2012, 10:08:25 pm »
What was what? O_o
If Kruppe was referring to this topic, it was to gather information about the player's opinion.  And we ended up with the status quo

Offline daselend

• Shaman
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: DasElend
  • Race: Orc
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2012, 07:29:46 am »
I am fairly disappointed of Kruppe's last post. It was spiteful, rude and irrelevant to the discussion, and while I haven't participated in it (mainly due to lack of time, not interest) I feel like Reflekkt, as the name perhaps is telling us, is trying to contribute differentiated and reflected points in a very polite manner, without claiming to be right (!). If you fail at understanding and respecting that, as do 99% of the public in general (hint: this is probably why populism works), I can not help you.

Offline Kruppe

« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2012, 08:16:03 am »
Kruppe apologizes for this post.

It was made in anger and Kruppe is very sorry.

DasElend, you are completely right.

To stop this going further, Kruppe asks to be allowed to delete the post.

Sorry at Reflekkt,
Kruppe

Offline ReFlekKt

« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2012, 11:58:21 am »
It's fine Kruppe, I have very little personal experience of FFA, while you all have plenty of games and ability to your credit. I understand if it's hard to take my thoughts seriously as a result, and I appreciate that you all have taken the time to reply. I appreciate the apology, and thanks Daselend for making those points in your post :) And while I'm at it thanks to rygo and Renaud for their responses as well. Just to be clear I ultimately defer to you guys' judgement on this topic.

Offline Kruppe

« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2012, 12:51:40 pm »
Thank you for accepting my apology, I (Kruppe too) appreciate it a lot.

The post was referring to the game played yesterday and I was simply angry about the way it went. I realize now I put the blame on you but thinking further it was a matter of constellation and Starshaped's play style.

The post did not relate to your analysis in this thread, there are many good thoughts in your writing and I do not hold the holy grail of FFA in my hands.

Neither it is my nature being that misbehaving.

Best wishes and see you in Garena,
Kruppe