April 19, 2024, 08:11:14 am

Author Topic: FML Season 29 | Winner is...  (Read 12155 times)

Offline FML|HighTac

• Administrator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: HighTac
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Night Elf
FML Season 29 | Winner is...
« on: March 11, 2019, 04:56:10 am »

Congratulations to :Germany: :hu: GEASS for winning Season 29. He deservedly made it to the finals by crushing his enemies in three out of the four rounds. He probably didn't expect the headache and exhaustion, caused by his map pick for the final. Each of the four finalists camped on islands for some time of the game, leading to an intense 5:56h base race.

Thanks to everyone for participating. It was a fun season overall, without extensive drama or scheduling issues. Feel free to post your feedback into this thread. In general, admins will take a closer at how to avoid five hour matches. Maybe adding a timer at the three hour mark would be an option. We will need to find ways to limit match duration, without removing the excitement of base race scenarios.

Offline ZsSuperCumulo

• Super-Blademaster
  • Ich der Beste
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: SuperCumulo@Lordaeron
  • Race: Human
Re: FML Season 29 | Winner is...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 10:37:27 am »
Season 29 in a nutshell

ŦEspero pacientemente el dia que deba mostrar mi verdadero poderŧ Supremo

Offline Slythe

• Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Slythe
  • Race: Random
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 02:56:09 pm »
cumulo, i made a tom hanks reference in the obs chat :D saw it the same (although i might called him forrest gump, cannot remember ^^)

Sheeesh - that game was beautiful - for bondage fetish lovers, masochists and overall mostly a torture for everyone involved. On the other hand it served for some special circumstances and unique situational scenarios: cannot remember ever watching that weird island & cliff hopping in such a nerdy, intensive way.
Also how cumulo and geass worked together to get the camp & spank 2.0 guy from his treasure island, i mean how many items cumulo did geass give? ( tic missed it to steal them with invi heroes before they were handed, thatīd be a fun move :D).

Players breakdown from my POV:

Janker: Played a strong early 1v1 vs geass with good timing. His choice for tinker/panda was good, maybe with potm woulda gain more mapcontrol which is so important vs humans, especially mass tp/baserace/islands. Was hard for him when cumulo pushed him that much with a big gold advantage, sticked around quite well, when he was almost out already, but suffered from cumulos will to take out air army, mb cuz he feared chims vs builds in baserace + tinker.

Cumulo: Spanked all of them one by one but missed to take one out, he most likely coulda take it 1v2 with his gold advantage. Kept his cool during the game quite well and hustled until the end.

liltic: seemed to plan that game about sticking around until his heroes are 6, atleast the Am, retreating to islands, manipping & teaming without using any gold early, hoping to outgold them in the end by losing minimum amount of slack and flying once again under the radar. It almost worked out but fire got fought with fire and to face two mass-tp humans in such a scenario limited his chances by a lot.
Missed some chances to take out geass castle/workshop or cumulos last buildings.

geass: just did enough not to die early vs janker, was in a bad spot or atleast really not in a good spot but made some good choices and moves later (adding griffs to army to have more dps to kill cumulos AM, killing tics t2 hall with paladin being staffed there, making workshop (after HOURS of not knowing how to deal with islands!!!), end sequence with taking island by his own) and stayed composed and tryhard until the end. Never had thought it would work to build constructions for getting mortar and gyros. In the end he was the last man standing his ground on that right cliff like the last emperor of the iron throne in game of thrones...after many kings were slaughtered or atleast sent into exile.

There were a couple of close moments were the tides could have turned, like last peasant killed and revived, crititcal buildings not found in time etc...how it is often the case and luck played once again a big role.

The issues with islands are that they made up for so long, complicated games when ffa is complicated enough already. It can be so stressful and seemingly unfair and lame. Geass and cumulo stayed relatively calm for that...the guy who executes the island lame is always in the better psychological position and just takes the advantage of having the literally the upperhand when everyone could decide to do the same - which is really an easy thing to do.
Island can be okay to me when they are used in a baserace scenario though to make buildings less easy reachable, but not with camping or building mass towers.
Sometimes it seems legit - when you get overteamed pretty hard - to retreat to an island and defend from there when you donīt have any other opportunity to survive. But people seem to tend using those tactics way too early and too often these days, same as crying for help with 20k in bank when itīll appriopiate to call help when youīre down to like 2k etc...

The thing is with abusing islands in almost every game spoils the fun  - atleast to me - a lot.
Although I donīt have too many really tough island camp & lame games in FML as i can remember. Mostly in bnet ladder games that occured and was super annoying - because on the one hand you want to win but u know it will take a lot of extra time (and u usually need someone to team up with that is aware of whats going and can communicate in a proper way) and you donīt want to encourage the island lamer to go on with this style of play, once he gets way more wins than he usually would get.

Offline Peregrine

• Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Peregrine
  • Coins: 168
  • Race: Random
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 02:41:30 pm »
Personally I dont mind that the match lasted so long. Its a testament to how epic and serious the players took the Finals. And the winner is the one who can maintain focus for so long. I lost some focus in my four hour semi, and janker kept composure, thats why he won and i lost. I wouldnt want a timer on my matches

But if you want lower match times, ban human masonry upgrades ;) 3 tryhard unkillable humans is a recipe for 5 hr matches

Havent seen this final yet but congrats to Geass. Some new players doubted him, but old schoolers knew how gosu he is

Offline FML|Mog

• Global Moderator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Mog[skynet]
  • Race: Night Elf
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 10:47:12 pm »
When I saw Geass won finals I expected to come to the comments section and see he removed his mask to reveal his true identity as humanst4r. But also, I was disappointed and maybe they truly are two separate people. I blame wrecktify aka darkflamemaster and eshan aka velociraptor or whatever the hell it was for making me so paranoid about smurfs.

Didnt watch any games from this season and definitely not watching a 6 hour final but congrats Geass and all the finalists. I see human is still OP in ffa :)

P.s. maybe just adjust all ffa maps to not have any potential islands? I don't think islands are necessary for epic base race scenarios.