April 28, 2024, 12:34:44 am

Author Topic: Request: Remove spam messages from bot games  (Read 2739 times)

Offline deluded

Request: Remove spam messages from bot games
« on: July 14, 2018, 03:56:05 pm »
We already live in societies where we are harassed with advertisements 24/7. Why have these constant spam messages during bot games? It's annoying and coercive since they keep popping up throughout the games. Playing WC3 is a fun spare time activity and shouldn't get interfered with by harassing the players with unrequested "advice".

Offline deluded

Re: Request: Remove spam messages from bot games
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 03:59:11 pm »
#lessIsMore

Offline FML|HighTac

• Administrator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: HighTac
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Night Elf
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 05:00:51 am »
We may look into shortening the ffamasters info message at some point. However, it's important to us that new players learn about the existence of FML and I doubt anyone but you is as annoyed by a simple ingame message every now and then.

Offline deluded

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 05:21:24 pm »
i think there are better ways to recruit new players than constant harassment with spam messages. mage used to make announcements on other platforms like reddit and w3arena when season applications started. simple and effective. add official blizzard forums to that and you can reach out to a considerable audience.

also how many players do you think you gonna get this way? it's mostly bot noobs and ppl who already know about fml. you contradict yourself by saying the messages are not annoying yet they are impactful when it comes to recruiting new players. when ppl are asked how they found fml in season applications thread nobody ever mentions following a spam message read during bot game. it's almost like their attention is somewhere else while playing a game...

Offline aarnikratti

• FML Contributor
  • Shaman
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: aarnikratti
  • Race: Random
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 06:19:03 pm »
i think there are better ways to recruit new players than constant harassment with spam messages. mage used to make announcements on other platforms like reddit and w3arena when season applications started. simple and effective. add official blizzard forums to that and you can reach out to a considerable audience.

also how many players do you think you gonna get this way? it's mostly bot noobs and ppl who already know about fml. you contradict yourself by saying the messages are not annoying yet they are impactful when it comes to recruiting new players. when ppl are asked how they found fml in season applications thread nobody ever mentions following a spam message read during bot game. it's almost like their attention is somewhere else while playing a game...

I totally disagree. I would not have joined FML if I would not have seen the bot message of that FML Season 23 applications were open.

Bot is gathering the players who are interested in FFA and who already like to play FFA. From Reddit you mostly only get some players who never played FFA and who would sign up for on a whim and then probably even forget that they have signed up.

Offline deluded

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 06:48:03 pm »
Quote from: arni
I would not have joined FML if I would not have seen the bot message of that FML Season 23 applications were open.
Announcing season applications is very different from what is displayed now, which is basically empty spam. In the past it was even more stupid when the season applications announcement spam was kept indefinitely and showed still despite the entire season being already over. that meant you had spam with false information popping up multiple times every single game. apparently, the current "solution" to this issue is to still display spam but phrase it in a way that is basically void of information.

In any case, I think in-game is not the correct place for season announcements.

From Reddit you mostly only get some players who never played FFA and who would sign up for on a whim and then probably even forget that they have signed up.
...yeah right like starshaped, rain and yaws. surely, bot noobs are highly reliable persons in comparison to these scrubs.

Offline aarnikratti

• FML Contributor
  • Shaman
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: aarnikratti
  • Race: Random
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 07:26:46 pm »
Man, the FFA bot is a natural environment to recruit new players. Why? Because playing FML requires some prior experience from FFA games. You can just look the first half of the last FML season which was kind of ruined because so many players had zero experience from FFA games. Do we want to recruit players from Reddit and get again those kind of seasons? NO. From the bot its much more likely to get players who know how to actually play FFA. And just look the current FML player roster, many players were active bot players before they joined FML, almost no one joined from Reddit.

Offline FML|HighTac

• Administrator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: HighTac
  • Race: Night Elf
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 02:10:11 am »
More words in this thread than the bot ever spammed  :icon_lol:

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: WorpeX
  • Race: Undead
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 12:59:05 pm »
From Reddit you mostly only get some players who never played FFA and who would sign up for on a whim and then probably even forget that they have signed up.
...yeah right like starshaped, rain and yaws. surely, bot noobs are highly reliable persons in comparison to these scrubs.

None of those 3 were recruited from Reddit lol

Offline deluded

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 06:27:36 pm »
WorpeY stop being such a bully...