March 29, 2024, 11:16:46 am

Author Topic: FFA Ladder | Map pool suggestions  (Read 3374 times)

Offline FML|HighTac

• Administrator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: HighTac
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Night Elf
FFA Ladder | Map pool suggestions
« on: April 07, 2018, 04:02:31 am »
First of all, thanks a lot for putting in the effort into the new ladder bot. It's awesome. I thought it might be useful to have a thread for map discussions.

I like the current map pool. Only change I would like to see, is swapping in Twilight and Sanctuary non-LV versions (wicked said he'd need some further input on that by others) and in the random hero section Market and Twilight.

Andorhal
Ashen Wood
Deadlock LV
Deathrose
Emerald Shores
Fountain of Manip
Gold Rush
Harvest of Sorrow
Market Square
Neon City
Phantom Grove LV
Purity
Sanctuary LV
Silverpine
Twilight Ruins LV
Twisted Meadows

Gnoll Wood
Monsoon
Pinball Crux
Polska
Silverpine
Storm Mount
Thunder Lake
TR Crazy
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 12:00:27 pm by Ugrilainen »

Offline FML|Mog

• Global Moderator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Mog[skynet]
Re: playFFA Ladder | Maps
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 11:43:15 am »
Would love to see Greenville woods in the map rotation. It's one of the best 4 player maps!

Offline IWANTWC4

• Tauren
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: DONALD-TRUMP
  • Race: Random
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 12:00:19 pm »
I like the new sanctuary with shredders.

Like the old twilight where shredders are mid.

I dont mind 4 player maps like deathrose, but I dont think twist, turtle rock or gnoll wood should be in the rotation at all.

Offline Seksi

• FML Contributor
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: sEksi
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 02:25:51 pm »
Map rotation looks good.   

For normal maps, Battlegrounds could be added, and I like Greenville Woods also.   In general, I think 6+ player maps are best because on a 4 way if one player leaves it instantly becomes 3 way.   

For random hero maps, I really like Banewood Bog.  I'd also like to see the best regular maps added for RH (Market RH and Twilight RH).   

Lastly, I think PinballCrux could go.  It fills up slow and often has imbalanced positions with only 4-5 players on it.   We have Polska as a big RH epic map too.   

As for Twist/Crazy TR/Gnoll Wood... I happen to like those but I know not everyone does.   The one that I miss is the 12 player RH on that 1v1 map Lol, I forget the name? 

Offline Dovekie

• Shaman
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Dovekie
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 03:39:33 pm »
I think it intelligent if 75-85% of FFA bot time was spent on these maps only:

-Silverpine
-Twilight Ruins
-Market Square
-Sanctuary
-Harvest of Sorrow
-Gold Rush
-Northshire
-Monsoon* (?)
-Deadlock* (?)

*ugly tile-sets

Like or dislike those maps, I think they have stood the test of time as popular ladder maps. The more that is deviated from those, the less popular the bot will be (this isn't subjective, and 'less popular' is a massive understatement).  Even at the height of the playffa ladder, a standard map like deathrose could take up to 30 minutes to fill up, because it's just not popular at all, whereas any of the ones I listed could take 2 minutes. I think the lower skilled players enjoy being in a 6 - 10 person game  (for obvious reasons), and they are an integral part to keep the bot actually going.

Maps like:
Storm Mount, Thunder Lake, TR Crazy, Andorhal, Phantom Grove, Twisted Meadows, Gnoll Wood, or any of the "crazy" maps like 12 spawn two rivers / twisted meadows, I think all are unhealthy in one degree or another to the bot. Not that they are bad maps or make for bad games, it's just low popularity on a bot that lives or dies on popularity. I think random heroes are fine @ like 25-35%.

In terms of the other 15-25% of the time that is not on the popular maps, I think that's when you could try out new or different maps. Banewood Bog is a great example. Incredible map—one of my favorites—but it should appear on a bot like 1/4 the time that silverpine does. That shouldn't even be an argument at this point.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 03:44:54 pm by Dovekie »

Offline Dread

• Peon
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: DreadYourHead
Re: FFA Ladder | Map pool suggestions
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 05:52:37 am »
Hey,

short question. I often got the problem that i cant watch the replays cuz, i dont have the right maps. Could someone upload the new/actual maps or send me a mappack with it ?

Would be awesome :)

gr. Dread

Offline qwest

Re: FFA Ladder | Map pool suggestions
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 04:24:32 am »
I am think its 1.29.2 patch problem, cuz Bnet ffa replays was on 1.29.1 and others on 1 26(W3arena)
ggc acc bmimbaa