March 29, 2024, 08:54:00 am

Author Topic: Map Contest | 24 is the new 12 | Results  (Read 5515 times)

Offline FML|HighTac

• Administrator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: HighTac
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Night Elf
Map Contest | 24 is the new 12 | Results
« on: February 26, 2018, 04:09:32 am »

Patch 1.29, although it's only available on the Public Test Realm currently, increases the maximum player count to 24. In the past few days, many players experienced these gigantic and totally chaotic matches on the PTR, but there is a lack of playable maps obviously. I would like to use this opportunity, to hop on the hype bus and motivate all the map makers to create a fancy map for 16 to 24 players by March 20. Submitted maps may get the chance to become part of FML events and the future FFA bot on Battle.net.

Participation

Please send your map file (and potentially additional random hero version) to hightacelf@gmail.com (no zip or rar)

Scores

• In general, I will grant up to 100 points for each map
  • 90 for playability, creativity, balance and design
  • 5 for fixed spawns in case someone wants to use it for team matches
  • 5 for an additional random hero version
  • Points will be deducted for bugs

Some tips for big FFA maps

• There should be at least two mines per player
  • Main mines should have at least 18k gold in them
  • Each main needs a sufficient amount of lumber
  • Shops, taverns and goblin labs should be available and accessible for all players
  • Markets (depending on item set), fountains and particularly dragon roosts can become overpowered very quickly in FFA. They are no must have
  • Although it's difficult to manage on huge maps, it's helpful if there is a certain distance between main bases
  • A minimap that's still somewhat readable makes life easier
  • Creeps and item drops should be aligned with normal melee standards (e.g. no infernal as creep or speed scroll item drop)
  • If played with fewer players, empty player spawns should have creeps.
  • In case anyone attempts to create a map with islands, it's important to have "flat water landing areas" to allow zeppelin drops out of tower reach
  • Staff of Silence and Amulet of Spell Shield are overpowered in FFA

I'm looking forward to your maps. Let me know if you have questions.

Rules of this contest may be subject to change and I reserve the right to decline submissions without giving reasons.

Update:

A big thank you to all participants and congratulations to Arrr. We received nine maps and analyzed them carefully, before scoring them individually and then averaging our results. All maps were unique and we were amazed by the creativity displayed. They all come with flaws, which is understandable, regarding the short period of time they had to be created in. However, this made it even more difficult for us to evaluate their true balance and potential. Furthermore, we didn't manage to get as many test matches filled on the PTR, as planned. Though, Emersion is a deserved winner for sure.

As soon as 1.29 gets officially released on Battle.net, we would try to get regular matches hosted for 24 players with maps from the contest and hope they'll fill as quickly as they did in the early PTR days. If any contestant does not want his map to be used at all, please let us know.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 07:57:13 am by FML|HighTac »

Offline FML|HighTac

• Administrator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
Re: Map Contest | 24 is the new 12
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 12:29:41 pm »
Some FAQ

Whoa, 2-3 weeks for a map that huge - that's quite a challenge. Guess I'll have to postpone my 4 player map once again.

I know it's a bit tight, but I know you guys are Worldeditor Magicians! Also, I want to use the hype around 1.29 and PTR to get this contest running. The short amount of time may come at the price of "imperfection" and some bugs. Also, I'm aware that the Worldeditor still has some "issues" and limitations when it comes to gigantic maps (e.g. creep limit). I think that's okay though and there'll always be the chance for further tweaks once 1.29 is released officially (whenever that might be).

From what I've understood from the tips, markets etc. are a big no on these maps. Are there rules concerning size, custom models, custom terrain and so on? I won't be using any custom stuff but I'm still asking as this was an issue in the last melee contest.

Many good FFA maps do contain market squares. However, especially when they have the highest tier item set (with staff of silence, etc) maps can become imbalanced. I'm not sure yet what kind of impact such markets may have in a 16 or 24 player FFA, they are neither a must have, nor a total no-go. There are no rules regarding size, custom models, etc., also because these gigantic maps are kind of unknown territory still. Whatever looks good and is playable has the chance to win this contest. However, one of my major concerns with huge maps is the size of the mini map. If the latter is not "readable" anymore and you can't even find your own main base on it, than it may be an issue.

I don't understand - additional random hero version. Perhaps it's just a language barrier, but I don't know what's meant by it.

FFA is often played with random heroes. Meaning, you can't select a specific hero when your altar is built, but can only click on a "random hero icon" in it. A random hero (can be each regular race or tavern hero in the game) will pop out of the altar. Same with second and third heroes. You can even get one and the same hero twice (e.g. Paladin, Paladin, Shadow Hunter)

Offline LssL

• Peon
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: LssL
  • Race: Human
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 04:03:31 pm »
Great Idea, HighTac!

Looking forward to playing 24p madness!

Offline FML|HighTac

• Administrator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 07:30:59 am »
6 Days to go!!!!

Offline FML|HighTac

• Administrator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 04:49:29 am »
The deadline was moved to March 20, so everyone has a few more days

Offline FML|HighTac

• Administrator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
Re: Map Contest | 24 is the new 12 | Results
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 04:16:43 am »

https://s18.postimg.org/aa0451415/24_new_12_results.png

A big thank you to all participants and congratulations to Arrr. We received nine maps and analyzed them carefully, before scoring them individually and then averaging our results. All maps were unique and we were amazed by the creativity displayed. They all come with flaws, which is understandable, regarding the short period of time they had to be created in. However, this made it even more difficult for us to evaluate their true balance and potential. Furthermore, we didn't manage to get as many test matches filled on the PTR, as planned. Though, Emersion is a deserved winner for sure.

As soon as 1.29 gets officially released on Battle.net, we would try to get regular matches hosted for 24 players with maps from the contest and hope they'll fill as quickly as they did in the early PTR days. If any contestant does not want his map to be used at all, please let us know.

Offline Ugrilainen

• Administrator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
    • Ugri on twitter
  • Race: Undead
Re: Map Contest | 24 is the new 12 | Results
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 09:55:16 pm »
i dont see the map image? only me?

I wanted to make one tweet about it

Offline FML|Mog