March 29, 2024, 09:36:15 am

Author Topic: S26 round 5!  (Read 7467 times)

Offline IWANTWC4

• Tauren
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: DONALD-TRUMP
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Random
Re: S26 round 5!
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2017, 02:04:38 pm »
Who cares about aesthetics if the map sucks for ffa

Apparently, the judges from the contest did because the map won. Also, the map doesn't really suck; it just looks like a labyrithm with narrow paths, but other than that it's gorgeous.

Should host it for me sometime.   I wanna see it, but either way equalriam is one of the best I've ever played on.

Offline Peregrine

• Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Peregrine
  • Coins: 168
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2017, 02:38:54 pm »
Again, who cares if its gorgeous when its an unbalanced map? Any map that has has two expos on one side is imbalanced. It means your 1v1 opponent will have access to both of your expos, while his will be safely on the other side of the map. It gives one player a huge advantage over the other, simply based on map positioning. A map that makes 2 players start with a disadvantage over the other two is an imbalanced and unplayable map. Meson de taberna does this too, unless players all coordinate and decide to expo clock and counterclock.

Maps like twisted meadows have one expo that is close to your enemy, but it compensates by having an island expo behind your base.

Cozy fuckin sands is the reason noexxx lost to laxu in 1v1 lol. If that doesnt prove imbalance then idk what does

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: WorpeX
  • Race: Undead
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2017, 03:04:23 pm »
Again, who cares if its gorgeous when its an unbalanced map? Any map that has has two expos on one side is imbalanced. It means your 1v1 opponent will have access to both of your expos, while his will be safely on the other side of the map. It gives one player a huge advantage over the other, simply based on map positioning. A map that makes 2 players start with a disadvantage over the other two is an imbalanced and unplayable map. Meson de taberna does this too, unless players all coordinate and decide to expo clock and counterclock.

Maps like twisted meadows have one expo that is close to your enemy, but it compensates by having an island expo behind your base.

Cozy fuckin sands is the reason noexxx lost to laxu in 1v1 lol. If that doesnt prove imbalance then idk what does

The map contest had its flaws, no doubt about that. However, Cozy was the best map submitted based on the rules and scoring system which was put in place. If we do another contest, I would absolutely do the scoring and judging a little bit differently.

That said, from all the finalist maps, I think even with a revised scoring system Cozy would have still been a top 3 map. Every map submitted was flawed in some way. Looking back almost a year later, only one map came out of the contest with a really good reputation, Dragon Island. Most of the other maps are very polarizing with opinions on the map.

So like I said, looking back at the contest a year later if I had to pick the top 3 now, it'd be Dragon Island, Neon City and Cozy Fucking Sands. The rest of the maps are all flawed in a similar way to Cozy but don't have the aesthetics.

Offline Peregrine

• Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Peregrine
  • Coins: 168
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2017, 04:30:51 pm »
Yeah the map contest was a great idea and really invited creativity from the community which led to new maps. Idk what the criteria was, but doesnt matter anymore who won, it matters which maps actually work.

interms of FFA usage, cozy sands is on duststorm level imo. Even if its rly pretty

Offline IWANTWC4

• Tauren
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: DONALD-TRUMP
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2017, 04:58:41 pm »
Why don't we have another one?  Me and Eshan can be the judges.

Offline FML|Mog

• Global Moderator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Mog[skynet]
  • Race: Night Elf
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2017, 05:16:05 pm »
Yeah the map contest was a great idea and really invited creativity from the community which led to new maps. Idk what the criteria was, but doesnt matter anymore who won, it matters which maps actually work.

interms of FFA usage, cozy sands is on duststorm level imo. Even if its rly pretty

DUSTSTORM LEVEL?! you must be out of your mind. I think the top 3 maps to come from the map contest are dragon island, greenville woods, and purity. All 3 of cumulo's maps are pretty good too, and I think are balanced enough for ffa. Cozy Sands needs some major terrain working, but you could always initiate the action first so you are fighting toward another player's expo. It's definitely far > duststorm. Probably more like similar level as Lost Temple.

Offline FML|HighTac

• Administrator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: HighTac
  • Race: Night Elf
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2017, 07:14:40 pm »
By the way, I was just judge in the Back2Warcraft and Hive Workshop map contest and got some new contacts. FML might be able to benefit from that in 2018.

Offline QQs

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2017, 04:42:47 am »

I have to agree here with Eshan. Cozy fucking Sand may look good, but it's not a good map to play on it. We tested it quite often before the final fml game and most of the times( 80-90 %) won the guy next to the opponent mines. I don't know why people still trying to defend this map. It's not a good ffa map. We have a lot more better maps from that Contest like Dragon Island, Neon City, Purity, even Boom town is played sometimes and it's fun as well. I'm also pretty sure we never hosted fucking sand once for a inhouse after the final game.

I think also that Purity is quite underrated, it's actually a nice FFA map.
"QQs is rly good at doing Mannequin Challenge with his units at his main" DV-

Offline ZsSuperCumulo

• Super-Blademaster
  • Ich der Beste
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: SuperCumulo@Lordaeron
  • Race: Human
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2017, 05:00:11 pm »

DUSTSTORM LEVEL?! you must be out of your mind. I think the top 3 maps to come from the map contest are dragon island, greenville woods, and purity. All 3 of cumulo's maps are pretty good too, and I think are balanced enough for ffa. Cozy Sands needs some major terrain working, but you could always initiate the action first so you are fighting toward another player's expo. It's definitely far > duststorm. Probably more like similar level as Lost Temple.

I agree with the 2 of your top 3 maps. Cozzy Sands definitely deserved to win, but Greenville Woods and Purity were really good as well. I think my favorite map of all the submissions was Greenville woods because the area of the center looked very well built and I used the same idea of bences in the center of the map for Neon City.

«Espero pacientemente el dia que deba mostrar mi verdadero poder» Supremo