April 25, 2024, 04:37:09 pm

Author Topic: S25 Grand Finals  (Read 8343 times)

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: WorpeX
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Undead
Re: S25 Grand Finals
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2017, 01:48:02 am »
Awesome write-up mog!

As for the map, wreck mentioned something about "testing"it in the finals which is untrue. It has been through a ton of testing prior to this on the bot and it was featured in TBR. It's well past the testing phase. Games have been great on the map and I'm looking forward to the finals!

Offline SosoHasRedHair

• Grunt
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: SosoHasRedHair
  • Race: Random
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2017, 02:36:32 am »
we played couple of inhouse games on that map yesterday....they were all shit (i was obs not player) since u stubborn admins wont switch the map maybe make some changes? increase gold amount in goldmines or add another goldmine? we wanna see big 100 food fights in final and not 4 morons sitting in their bases afraid of losing a single unit since they have no gold to get it back (remember 4 hour semi final on emerald shores) (now remember playffacup final on market square) one of them has 20k views on youtube the other one isnt even on youtube i think. #evidence #adminsarelazy #themapsucks #mogisgay

Offline deluded

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2017, 03:04:33 am »
*dislike*

1) Nitpicking: wreck mentioned something about "testing"
2) Exaggeration: has been through a ton of testing
3) Stubborn: I'm looking forward to the finals!

I think the biggest problem here is that the players have very little experience on these new maps. There is a HUGE difference between a map that someone has played and observed >1000x in comparison to a map that was played <5x and observed 0x.

Offline SosoHasRedHair

• Grunt
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: SosoHasRedHair
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2017, 03:11:04 am »
disagree

i wouldnt like finals on meadows deathrose etc. also 4s maps arent finals material. goldrush would be cool for finals but sucks in r1 or quali for example.

i wouldnt mind playing deathrose in r1 and goldrush in finals. but i wouldnt like it the other way around. final should be a 3 hour game of 4 tryhards. to make these 3 hours interesting map needs to be big and have a lot of gold. we wanna see people hiding a single worker and rebuilding a completly new base. we wanna see laxu charming a worker going dual race etc etc. on a 4s map you lose one 100 food fight u dead. u cant hide u have no ressources to rebuild etc etc.

Offline Wrecktify

• FML Contributor
  • Blademaster
  • Supreme Admin of FML
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: SerWrecktify
  • Race: Night Elf
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2017, 07:23:29 am »
*dislike*

1) Nitpicking: wreck mentioned something about "testing"
2) Exaggeration: has been through a ton of testing
3) Stubborn: I'm looking forward to the finals!

I think the biggest problem here is that the players have very little experience on these new maps. There is a HUGE difference between a map that someone has played and observed >1000x in comparison to a map that was played <5x and observed 0x.

Another common losing argument technique.  Refute one facet of an argument and claim your point is made.  Of course this doesn't change the fact that that 'a ton' is completely subjective an utter nonsense , as the testing period was 1 month between seasons.

I vote the admins, who (not counting games they played in), attended maybe 1/5h of games, similarly stay out of the map selection process. 

Offline Tleilaxu

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2017, 08:58:53 am »
I wouldn't mind playing on Twisted Meadows actually.

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2017, 09:36:11 am »
Another common losing argument technique.  Refute one facet of an argument and claim your point is made.  Of course this doesn't change the fact that that 'a ton' is completely subjective an utter nonsense , as the testing period was 1 month between seasons.

I vote the admins, who (not counting games they played in), attended maybe 1/5h of games, similarly stay out of the map selection process. 

And you weren't active during the map making contest, which was 3 months long, not 1. The map was on the bot for a long time and received many updates during the process.

Here is the TBR Match on Cozy, which was an intense game.

On that note, we will discuss making changes to the map or switching to something else internally.

Offline Wrecktify

• FML Contributor
  • Blademaster
  • Supreme Admin of FML
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: SerWrecktify
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2017, 10:16:05 am »
Currently the most interesting 4 player map in the rotation is Anarchy Castle,  though what a shit finals map that would be also. Considering how good you are at making maps worpexe I'd think your recognize that's Sands is basically an incomplete, less interesting Fountain of Manipulation (3rd best 4 man map, also player made I think) 

I'll save more long winded rants for tonight since typing on phones suck.   

Edit: since everyone is so emo lately I appreciate new maps, I don't appreciate unfinished work as the Grand Final (singular ) match.   Either round 1 or round 4 should have had the top 3 maps featured in order to feature them.   Force feeding it for finals feels damn near punitive.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 10:19:16 am by Wrecktify »

Offline ZsSuperCumulo

• Super-Blademaster
  • Ich der Beste
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: SuperCumulo@Lordaeron
  • Race: Human
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2017, 10:32:25 am »
lol@unfinished work :icon_lol:

«Espero pacientemente el dia que deba mostrar mi verdadero poder» Supremo

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2017, 11:29:18 am »
Cozy is far more finished than Harvest will ever be. lol Harvest, in my opinion, is extremely incomplete. I don't see how Cozy can be considered incomplete though. Maybe you think its not complete cause it needs more testing? But... every map could use more testing. I just uploaded a new version of Harvest cause I found bugs and we even play on updated Blizzard maps here in FML.

I can agree that Cozy could use more gold and the creeps at the Lab could be adjusted. There were plans to change the Lab before TBR but I made the decision to keep it as is after an extended testing session with rhythmt. We may make some changes to these two things before the finals - however - since we're having issues with our bot provider, I can't guarantee any changes will make it to the bot in time for the match.

Offline Peregrine

• Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Peregrine
  • Coins: 168
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2017, 09:26:55 pm »
First of all amazing write up by Mog. Great descriptions for all the players, and they really do fit the Hogwarts houses perfectly.

Secondly - if i were playing in this game I would be upset about the map choice too - maybe atleast give players the options to choose, just like in the normal rounds

I've personally never played cozy sands (and thats one big reason why i would be upset, its a new map, and i would prefer to play on a classic map, because that way i dont have to do hours and hours of map testing and then see someone pull out some map trick ive never seen before to win the game. it should be based on ffa skill, not map skill on a new map.) it might have been a better showcase for the new map to put it as the semi-final map.

i also personally think that smaller 4way maps aren't ideal for high-stakes ffa's. they result in lots of rushing and chaotic attacks - which isn't always the best showcase for the all-around skills of our all-star finals cast.

anyway gl hf to all, even you laxu. you may have gotten free wins all season, but you played well in semis!

Offline Ugrilainen

• Administrator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
    • Ugri on twitter
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2017, 02:02:38 am »
Tleilaxu, I've come to bargain

Offline Tleilaxu

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2017, 02:00:24 pm »
wat

Offline FML|Renaud

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • ex King of FFA
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: FML_Renaud
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2017, 04:23:12 pm »
Eshan manipping! This is the map he won on during the TBR!!!!!

At least it might be? I'm not really sure anymore, and it's a pain to look back since everyone was playing under AKA ^_^

Offline zTsoso

• Shaman
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: zTsoso
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2017, 05:18:00 pm »
Salazar Slytherin would be proud :-)