March 28, 2024, 10:37:51 am

Author Topic: The 80+ Club (Build-A-World Results!)  (Read 6255 times)

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: WorpeX
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Undead
The 80+ Club (Build-A-World Results!)
« on: February 20, 2017, 05:03:33 pm »

The votes are in! The polls have been closed! It's time to reveal the winners of the Build-A-World Map Making Contest!!

If you have yet to play any maps from the contest, the maps to be revealed in the coming days are the ones you should familiarize yourself with. Why? Because maps that are part of the 80+ Club will be part of the FML Season 25 map pool!

Right, so how is this gonna work? Don't you want to hype this up WorpeX? Why yes, thank you for asking, I certainly will!! Starting today a new map will join the club until the winning map is announced on Saturday Feb 25th!

The 80+ Club:
7) Neon City - by SuperCumulo
6) Greenville Woods - by Mr.Henci
5) Purity - by blast870
4) Dragon Island - by Tyrant66
3) Freezing Field - by Tyrant66
2) Meson de la Taberna - by SuperCumulo
1) Cozy Sands - by rhythmt :gold: $51 Winner
--Scores of all non-80+ maps TBA 2/25--

We know everyone put a lot of time into making their maps and we hope that, even if your map wasn't selected, you keep improving it so that it can be used in the future. Thank you everyone for your hard work!

Congratulations to EVERYONE who competed in this contest! We had a ton of amazing submissions and we had a blast playing on all of them! Can't wait to see some competitive matches on these great maps!

---

Scores can be found in the comments of this post! They were calculated by averaging the scores of 3 judges together. I want to remind everyone that these scores are 100% subjective. Please be respectful with our opinions!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 04:36:35 pm by FML|WorpeX »

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
Re: The 80+ Club (Build-A-World Results!)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 05:34:44 pm »
7th: Neon City by SuperCumulo - 80.08

What we said...

Quote from: Red7z7
Wonderful detail on the doodads. Nice symmetry in the map (not as easy to do with 6-way maps), but it does appear a little plain/deliberate around the spawns. The terrain is very flat, probably intentional, but some high ground areas would be nice. Pretty cool big creeps. Not sure I'm a fan of the walled-off mains.

Quote from: PinballMap
Neon City is a 6 player map in a city landscape. The map has all relevant FFA buildings (2 shops, 4 laboratories and 4 markets in each corner). The usage of doodads and the placement of the neutral houses looks very nice and polish. The map offers 3 additional goldmines for each player in a 4 way and it seems to be very balanced so are the creeps and their drops.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 03:44:32 pm by FML|WorpeX »

Offline ZsSuperCumulo

• Super-Blademaster
  • Ich der Beste
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: SuperCumulo@Lordaeron
  • Race: Human
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 05:56:28 pm »

«Espero pacientemente el dia que deba mostrar mi verdadero poder» Supremo

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 03:35:54 pm »
6th: Greenville Woods by Mr.Henci - 80.33

What we said...

Quote from: Junkerzam
A beautiful blend of forest and water with a nicely varied landscape. It's kind of hard to find any structure at first glance, but it is well balanced in all regards with the exception of the questionable portals. The value they add is scarce and their impact will make for weird games where players have an extreme accessibility to certain players bases. Creeps are a-plenty albeit a bit predictable, the spread and placement of them partly make up for their low variety. A daring effort that is keen to the eyes and with a makeover or two to balance its gameplay it might be here to stay.

Quote from: WorpeX
The layout of this map is a little maze-like but it doesn't feel difficult to understand when you play the map. The addition of the warpgates definitely add a touch of spice to the map. I do fear that the gates will be abused and that it negatively affects the balance of the map though. Terrain is beautiful and feels very natural and real. Item drops are not great - the level 5 charged on the left expo is a bit much in particular. Overall - map is a blast to play and feels like its only a balance patch away from being truly great.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 03:44:07 pm by FML|WorpeX »

Offline FML|Mog

• Global Moderator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Mog[skynet]
  • Race: Night Elf
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 04:45:22 pm »
Yay! Greenville was one of my favorite (and it looks like I'm the only one who voted for it). I'm so glad it made the 80+ club!

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 03:51:37 pm »
5th: Purity by blast870 - 80.67

What we said...

Quote from: Junkerzam
Nice structure, it's symmetrical but in a varied way. I really like the creeps and how they are spread out, also a nice mix of trolls/ogres/dragons/golems that deviates from the standard camps. It seems well balanced considering gold mines and trees.

I have a lot of fun playing on this map! The center of the map drums up a lot of combat due to literally every shop being there. The natural expansions are also in very vulnerable positions which causes you to fight over them constantly. The mines themselves have too few gold in my opinion as they drain very quickly. These factors combined really causes fast paced games and intense action. The terrain work on the map is extremely well done and I honestly love the whole theme - even if its not overly unique. In the end, this is a great map which could see some great league action for seasons to come!

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 04:28:33 pm »
4th: Dragon Island by Tyrant66 - 82.00

What we said...

Nice map. We were in need of a 8-way summer map. I like the islands with the waygates, especially because normally waygates are bad for undead since destroyers cant go in, but in this case they are not teleporting very far so you can fly your destros the distance. Also he places the unbuildable terrain at the island so they can't be camped heavily. For a map called dragon island I did expect a dragon roost though. Also there is a TON of gold in the mines, for a map with 16 mines that will be played mostly 4-way in FML, that is a lot. Overall I think this will be a fun map, and it's good looking. I think the imbalance of only having 4 mainland natural expos is okay because at least every spawn has equal access to them - so it will be a battle early on or players can opt for the island which is nearly equally easy to access.

Sometimes it pays to spend the little bit of extra time on a map! Tyrant66 worked right up to the deadline on this beauty and I think it paid off. The map has a lot of resemblances to Twilight Ruins but this map is larger and has a lot more caveats. The warpgates to the islands are a nice little touch and keep them feeling balanced. The item drops and creeps feel rather generic and maybe even a bit annoying to creep (dragons are a pain!). Getting a natural expansion on the map is weird. Every other player has a different type of expansion. One gets the island and the next gets one thats part of the main land. Overall though, the map has great terraining and a nice balanced design which leads to a very promising map!

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 12:01:20 pm »
3rd: Freezing Field by Tyrant66 - 82.33

What we said...

Freezing Field is a 4 player map in the icecrown landscape. The terrain and doodad placement is very natural and the map looks very living. I like the non symmetrical terrain – to me the best ive seen so far in the map contest. Every player has 2 additional expansions in their own corner (14k and 16k). I would like to see this map in the next season. Good job tyrant.

Solid map overall. Great terrain work and excellent use of the tileset. Map feels cold and mysterious. The layout of the map is pretty unique overall, I like that there are a lot of different ways to attack an enemy. What I didn't like was how difficult it was to actually maneuver around the map. Getting my 100 food necrowagon over the bridges was not a whole lot of fun. Item drops felt a bit wonky as well, 4 fairly easy red camp drops level 6 charged items. Mog got 2 infernals in the game I played and killed someone with it right away.Map could use some balancing but is very unique!

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 08:31:51 am »
2nd: Meson de la Taberna by SuperCumulo - 82.67

What we said...

The maps looks like a smaller version of the famous FML map „Harvest of Sorrow“. The terrain and creepsets look very similiar despite the fact its just a 4 player map. The map looks ok but a little uninspiring for me. Cumulo created 3 maps and for me this was the best of them.

My biggest gripe with this map is that the minimap looks nearly identical to a smaller Harvest of Sorrow. I really wanted to hate it for that reason.... but I just can't. This map is every bit what I wish Harvest would have been. The terrain is gorgeous and the spanish theme is really unique. The creeps seem to be the biggest glaring issue on the map to me. Way too many of them and some of them are very difficult. It doesn't take long to get your heroes to 5-5-5 and you can do it with just the creeps in your own little corner. That negatively hurts the overall balance of the map, but its not exactly game breaking. Love the map!

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 04:35:00 pm »
1st: Cozy Sands by rhythmt - 87.67

What we said...

Cozy Sands is a 4 player map in the fallow land landscape. There are plenty of creeps everywhere and 2 potential expansions for each player available (12,5k start + 12,5k and 14,5k ). The map has all FFA relevant buildings ( 4 Merc camps, 2 goblin shops, 2 markets, 4 goblin laboratories and an unguarded health fountain in the middle). The terrain looks well made and pretty natural – suiting to the theme of that tileset. Also it seems to be pretty balanced for 4 ways. For me this is a potential map for the next season. That's why i rated it above 80. Congratulations rhythmt.

Every so often a map so polished comes around that you would swear it was created by Blizzard themselves. In fact, the map looks strikely similar to two other blizzard maps: Desert Strife and Centaur Grove. Attention to detail has to be the biggest accomplishment on Cozy Sands as the terrain is just flawless and the treeline is perfect (bases even have a nice notch for a graveyard!). My biggest gripes really came with the creeps, many of which felt difficult or poorly placed. One camp in particular is right in your main base so if you don't creep it at the start, they will attack your workers in 20minutes. I also really felt that a red camp would make this map feel a bit more interesting. While the map fell short on the creeps, it certainly made that up in every other category. Well done map!

Gorgeous map, and so natural looking! This is the first map I wanted to give 20 points for doodad/terrain. The structure is mostly standard, but it does have the nice uphill expo. In terms of balance, seems fine. Natural is maybe a little tough, so favors human, but overall there are no broken items or creeps, even with the marketplace. It's a great map, probably the biggest mark against it is that it's another 4-way. It definitely lives up to it's name as a cozy sand map. He does absolutely need to remove the stags in the corners with level 5 item drops though...

Congratulations to Rhythmt for winning the Build-A-World Map Making competition!

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 04:51:29 pm »
Full results for every map can be found here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CYRWG4wq8_3TWg5_PDdGFI8KIplP36tYazGIr--Z51s/edit?usp=sharing

These reviews are unedited. Please be respectful towards the comments and opinions. Thank you everyone for creating a map and if yours didn't make the 80+ club, please keep working on the map! Many of the maps fell short on minor issues that can be fixed and potentially be added into future seasons or the ladder!

Congratulations again to the winning maps! Can't wait to play them next season!

DV-

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 05:07:47 pm »
Gratz Rhythmt, well deserved!

Offline rhythmt

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 05:45:47 pm »
I really enjoyed partecipating in this contest, and I'm also really happy that you enjoyed the map.

If there is anything bothering you/that you find poorly balanced, please do contact me either here or (better) at The Hive Workshop: https://www.hiveworkshop.com/members/arrr.246355/
The contest is over, but the map can be easily still be modified.

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 05:59:37 pm »
I really enjoyed partecipating in this contest, and I'm also really happy that you enjoyed the map.

If there is anything bothering you/that you find poorly balanced, please do contact me either here or (better) at The Hive Workshop: https://www.hiveworkshop.com/members/arrr.246355/
The contest is over, but the map can be easily still be modified.

Thank you for the map! We will be doing the first official tournament match on it + a shoutcast tomorrow at 15 EST / 21 CET. It would be really cool if you could attend and maybe Mog and I could do a live interview with you about it.

Also, a minor update with some creep changes (basically what we mentioned in the blurgs) before the game would be really cool. Not necessary though.

Ponty

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 06:09:36 pm »
GG man!

congratulating also the admins for hosting this event
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 06:15:51 pm by Ponty »