March 28, 2024, 07:20:36 am

Author Topic: S24 Community Feedback  (Read 11017 times)

Offline noexxx

• FML Contributor
  • Tauren
    • View Profile
  • Coins: 55
  • Race: Random
Re: S24 Community Feedback
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2017, 03:41:54 am »
Why is the point system a little bit better now ? (For the obs and for most of the players)
Because with the 25 points system players tended to be much more passive and I'm one clear example for that and so was Soso. I think last seasons he was more passive then this one. Just look at the game on the island map where I waited 4 hours to win the game.
All in all I don't think the point system changes a lot since it didn't change any result at all. And mostly all the players in the top where top players.
That's why I think we should stick with this point system a bit longer because games were more enjoyable to watch and no matter what the point system is I will try as hard to win.

Offline zTsoso

• Shaman
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: zTsoso
  • Coins: 100
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2017, 06:42:50 am »
Could this be the reason why Cumulo is against top score reward?

Maybe the point system is "bad" for Cumulo because he can't get top score with naga/beastmaster and other heroes, which he uses to avoid being the target of teaming. 

On the point system:

I don't agree that nothing has changed with the new system. I recall previous seasons where everyone sits in base waiting to win because there's no incentive whatsoever to put yourself in a position where u dominate and will get teamed to death. Players would compete in patience, its a battle of who can keep his head cool after sitting in their main base for hours.

On new changes and top score reward

Thank God for the changes that has created action this season because players want that extra +2 score for top score or win. The system is still not perfect, but its a big improvement for players like me who are the main target of teaming almost every game because the skill gap in FML is huge. At the same time the system has been kept intact:

- It is still rewarded most of all to win
- 4th place is a big blow but not as bad as it used to be (which actually favors noobs).

The admin team is doing a great job at changing things up in the right direction

This new point system is a great start. Now we are finally going to try anonymous games out and the main problem with FML where players get "teamed for name" may be overcome. Anonymous games might also prove to be "boring" for some because the best players will likely hide their true skill level until the very end, but I don't think this will be the case. If one has managed to keep oneself under the radar the entire game in an anonymous game it just shows how well one has played in the arts of "manipulation". 

The ideal for FML should in my opinion be to have a versatile range of FFA types included in a season. The classic games, the anonymous games, 6-way, 8-way etc. etc. to spice things up.

The skill gap and different opinions makes it impossible to satisfy everyone

FML is still a fight between what I consider "noobs" and good players. It is as bad as b100death says. 

However, the admin team has found a balance this season that the majority has been satisfied with.

- The games have been entertaining and action packed.
- Winning is still rewarded most of all
- everyone has a shot at making finals.
- The best players got to the top of the score board for the most part.

The changes have been much needed for a long time and I am happy to see fresh ideas carried out in a thoughtful manner. I am exciteted to see how well the anonymous games will be.

Anonymous games will be great

I think anonymous games is the one thing that would get me motivated to practice again. Right now I have 0 motivation to practice because if I get better and win more games then I will likely get teamed more except if I play ridiculous bad heroes and change race, which is not fun or how it should be. I suppose some can relate to this.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 07:58:21 am by zTsoso »

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: WorpeX
  • Race: Undead
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2017, 07:26:01 am »
Just to follow up on your post @zTsoso about the anonymous games: its only intended to be for the event and is unlikely to carry over to a standard FML season. The reason for that is the way we schedule in a normal season is counter productive to anonymous games. However, we will be doing KoFFA scheduling for the upcoming event so it'll be possible to do anonymous games.

Offline ZsSuperCumulo

• Super-Blademaster
  • Ich der Beste
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: SuperCumulo@Lordaeron
  • Race: Human
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2017, 12:56:43 pm »

All in all I don't think the point system changes a lot since it didn't change any result at all. And mostly all the players in the top where top players.

that is correct, I really haven't noticed any significant difference in the quality of the games. I mean most of the games lasted well above 90 minutes specially just like it probably did last season.

The only thing this new system did was reward 4th players with an unbalanced ratio of points compared to 2nd place and also reward 1st place finishers by leeching pts from the actual winner.
Personally, if you want to continue with this system; give 4th place 8 points, and 1st place finisher only +1 pt while keeping the 22 pts for the real winner.

«Espero pacientemente el dia que deba mostrar mi verdadero poder» Supremo

DV-

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2017, 01:03:58 pm »
noe says "results didnt change"
cumulo reads "games didnt change"
some ppl seem hopeless

s23: 1 or 2 good games
s24: around 10 good games
end of fucking story

Offline Peregrine

• Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Peregrine
  • Coins: 168
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2017, 09:46:07 pm »
1. The whole argument about "good games" is just opinion

especially when you compare s24 to s23, you're just comparing two different seasons. Theres been over 20 seasons of FML, and there have been many great ones. S24 was a really good season, but that doesn't mean that the point system is perfect. Also, most of the shorter games were a result of map choices. Most games this season were played on smaller maps than last season, including the finals.

2. I have to agree that the point system went too far - a balance can be found. One option is 20-12-12-8 and give only +1 point for top score

Or - you do 20-10-10-5 and do +2 for top score (but winner can't get +2). That way winning is still the biggest reward, losing in 4th causes a huge penalty (and avoids suicides), and the player who gets top score gets a big boost.

Cumulo made a good point about players having two wins being below in standings to someone who had zero wins and a lot of bonus points. He also makes a good point about 4th place.

3. I faced a lot of good players this season, right from the beginning. Other players faced noobs for the first few rounds. Those noobs soon dropped out of the standings. There should be some system where its not so unfair, where someone doesnt have to face good players all season long (due to random matching) while other players can get a bunch of noobs.

4. Map veto system - I liked this system a lot, it added a lot of variety and an element of strategy to the game. What I DIDNT like were the map choices. There was usually only one "classic" or "good" map available, and 4 mediocre or shitty maps. There should be two "classic" or "good" choices every round, even if they repeat from a previous round. That way, if the players decide to choose a non-classic map, its truly a CHOICE. (Not a result of one asshole player vetoing the good map)

No offense to Bnet 2006, but if I never play another duststorm game again it would still be too soon

All in all it was a good, fun season, even though I lost. And congrats to Noe.

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2017, 10:32:23 pm »
Cumulo made a good point about players having two wins being below in standings to someone who had zero wins and a lot of bonus points. He also makes a good point about 4th place.

That never happened and can't happen, I don't know where you or cumulo is getting this from. The only time in this season that someone had a higher score than someone with more wins is with zTsoso. But if you look at the results, I think you'd agree that 1 win, 4 second places and 4 top scores SHOULD be ranked higher than someone with 2 wins, 2 4th places and a 3rd.

It literally takes 4 top scores to put your rank higher than someone with an extra win. The fact that @zTsoso  even did that is absolutely insane. I think he should be applauded instead of the point system being blamed.

3. I faced a lot of good players this season, right from the beginning. Other players faced noobs for the first few rounds. Those noobs soon dropped out of the standings. There should be some system where its not so unfair, where someone doesnt have to face good players all season long (due to random matching) while other players can get a bunch of noobs.

I agree, that was sort of a luck of the draw thing. We went with random pairing in S24. We have an interesting idea coming up for S25 that will hopefully make the matchmaking feel less random and more fun!

No offense to Bnet 2006, but if I never play another duststorm game again it would still be too soon

Haha, yes!! I hate Duststorm. What a shit map.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 10:41:04 pm by FML|WorpeX »

Offline ZsSuperCumulo

• Super-Blademaster
  • Ich der Beste
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: SuperCumulo@Lordaeron
  • Race: Human
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2017, 12:00:26 am »
But if you look at the results, I think you'd agree that 1 win, 4 second places and 4 top scores SHOULD be ranked higher than someone with 2 wins, 2 4th places and a 3rd.

yes, if you give +2 bonus pts per win to the 1st place finisher and take away -2 pts from the actual winner of the game; then the 6 pts gap per game becomes obsolete by the end of the 5 rounds assuming someone finishes 1st place many times, hence finishing on top those who managed to get more wins. The Bonus point made sense with a big enough difference between 1st and 2nd, now it's just being way too rewarding.

«Espero pacientemente el dia que deba mostrar mi verdadero poder» Supremo

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2017, 01:37:32 pm »
@Mr.LighT & @blast870 Please take it to Private Messages. This is not the correct thread to be discussing that. I have removed the messages.

Offline Mr.LighT

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2017, 01:47:47 pm »
Worpex, I never wrote to him, never insulted. I wrote a 3 post for all. Or the truth as the rules are not for everyone?

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2017, 02:00:00 pm »
I didn't say you did. This thread is for discussion about Season 24 of the FFA Masters League, not the map making competition.