April 23, 2024, 05:03:18 pm

Author Topic: Build A World Map Making Contest!  (Read 58504 times)

Offline ZsSuperCumulo

• Super-Blademaster
  • Ich der Beste
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: SuperCumulo@Lordaeron
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Human
Re: Build A World Map Making Contest!
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2016, 05:39:04 pm »
thanks guys, I'll look into it tonight :)

«Espero pacientemente el dia que deba mostrar mi verdadero poder» Supremo

Offline Puke

• Peon
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Son_of_a_lich
  • Race: Night Elf
« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2016, 06:06:31 pm »
If anyone is looking for a theme i always wanted to see a dungeon based warcraft 3 map.

If anyone remember the old 1 vs 1 map bright and dark... then a bit like this map, just only the dark part :)

Were talking a map with warlocks, overlords, Voidwalkers, infernals, fel stalkers and the list goes on.

And ofcourse a sick ass terrain that remains enjoyable for a player, but still is remarkable and exclusive for a spectator! Lets go!
"Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"

Offline Pinballmap

• FML Contributor
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Replay Master
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Pinballmap
  • Race: Orc
« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2016, 06:18:06 pm »
There was an old map with this theme in the 1vs1 pool in battle.net some years ago.

(4)Hellfire  - sure it could be used for FFA but i think its a bit too small and too few goldmines.

Offline ZsSuperCumulo

• Super-Blademaster
  • Ich der Beste
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: SuperCumulo@Lordaeron
  • Race: Human
« Reply #93 on: December 23, 2016, 07:32:25 pm »

«Espero pacientemente el dia que deba mostrar mi verdadero poder» Supremo

Offline FML|red7z7

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: red7z7
  • Coins: 284
  • Race: Undead
« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2016, 02:51:00 am »
 :FMLN:

Breaking news! Courtesy of @DV- the prizepool now totals $51.

Merry christmas!

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: WorpeX
« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2016, 02:20:41 pm »
Who got stuck with the extra dollar? Haha

Offline Blood Raven

« Reply #96 on: December 25, 2016, 04:19:34 am »
If anyone is looking for a theme i always wanted to see a dungeon based warcraft 3 map.

If anyone remember the old 1 vs 1 map bright and dark... then a bit like this map, just only the dark part :)

Were talking a map with warlocks, overlords, Voidwalkers, infernals, fel stalkers and the list goes on.

And ofcourse a sick ass terrain that remains enjoyable for a player, but still is remarkable and exclusive for a spectator! Lets go!
I have a couple of maps that use the dungeon tileset if you're interested:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/deamonheim.190529/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/elemental-caverns.208149/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/separated-worlds.262645/
Only the first on is FFA though. The second one is a kind of 3v3 and the last is 1v1.

Happy holidays everyone!

Offline FML|red7z7

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 25, 2016, 02:45:02 pm »
Anyone know how to get the doodad rocks/glaciers to touch or overlap? There seems to be a restriction preventing them from getting too close but on some maps I see them overlap.

Offline Mr.Henci

« Reply #98 on: December 25, 2016, 06:34:08 pm »
Anyone know how to get the doodad rocks/glaciers to touch or overlap? There seems to be a restriction preventing them from getting too close but on some maps I see them overlap.

Hold Shift while placing them.  :icon_wink:

If you dont know about theese:
 Ctrl + Page Up/Page Down = Rising/Lowering of the object
 Ctrl + Left Mouse = Rotation of the obejct
 Shift + Right Mouse = Zoom in/Out
 Ctrl + Right Mouse = Camera rotation

Offline blast870

• Grunt
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: selfy
  • Race: Random
« Reply #99 on: December 26, 2016, 07:08:04 am »
I heard players hate snow maps in normal melee. Does it also apply here at FFA? Or am I allowed to make a map based on Icecrown?

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 26, 2016, 08:37:30 am »
I heard players hate snow maps in normal melee. Does it also apply here at FFA? Or am I allowed to make a map based on Icecrown?

That stigma does exist, but I don't think its a tileset problem. More of an issue with a lack of good snow maps. Savage Storm is the only Icecrown map we play on and its a love it or hate it type map. The creeps on the tileset are really tough, I would recommend using ones from Lordearon Winter if you do an Icecrown map.

Offline blast870

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 26, 2016, 12:03:31 pm »

That stigma does exist, but I don't think its a tileset problem. More of an issue with a lack of good snow maps. Savage Storm is the only Icecrown map we play on and its a love it or hate it type map. The creeps on the tileset are really tough, I would recommend using ones from Lordearon Winter if you do an Icecrown map.
Thank you for your explanation and suggestion. Yea, I found creeps at Icecrown to have extra Hps. As far as I remember lv6 polar bear has 1200hp, which is really really tough.

And I have 2 extra questions. Does basic melee rules apply in FFA? And if so, how important are they? Are they compulsory or just recommended? I downloaded a 4 player map at Map Downloads and I found  the distance between bases to be extreme long, 39~40sec, which is +10sec than normal melee.

My second question is how many player map FML is lacking the most? 4 player map would be easier to work on, but I would like to create something this community is lacking. That way both FML and players will be more satisfied. I can barely see 8 and 10player map. How high is the use frequency of such large scale maps?

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 26, 2016, 12:34:42 pm »

Thank you for your explanation and suggestion. Yea, I found creeps at Icecrown to have extra Hps. As far as I remember lv6 polar bear has 1200hp, which is really really tough.

And I have 2 extra questions. Does basic melee rules apply in FFA? And if so, how important are they? Are they compulsory or just recommended? I downloaded a 4 player map at Map Downloads and I found  the distance between bases to be extreme long, 39~40sec, which is +10sec than normal melee.

My second question is how many player map FML is lacking the most? 4 player map would be easier to work on, but I would like to create something this community is lacking. That way both FML and players will be more satisfied. I can barely see 8 and 10player map. How high is the use frequency of such large scale maps?

Good questions! In solo they like the bases as close as physically possible. They wanted really short games so echo isles clones became rampant and the Twisted Meadows type maps went away. I personally don't feel that that was the way the game was meant to be played, its just how the game evolved over time.

In FFA, we like the old starcraft "no rush 20" type of play. No hero harassment or tower rushes in our games. We play with big ass armies and stacked heroes. This generally means that bases farther apart is the norm.

---

Second question: We've been playing this game a long time. There really isn't any right or wrong type of map cause just having something fresh is going to be great.

If I was going to say one type of map that we have a lack of, it would be the "Deathrose" type map. A 4 player map that is large enough to support FFA games. Deathrose is very unique in that regard. We modified Emerald Shores to fill as an alternative to it, but theres not much else.

Blizzard actually made good 8 player maps. While I would definitely agree that we don't have a lot, the ones that we do have are very highly regarded in the community. Twlight Ruins, Deadlock, Market Square are all classics. Sanctuary, Battleground and a few others are also pretty solid.

We don't really play 10 player maps in the league. It might have something to do with there not being any to use though. Blizzard only made two and they are both garbage.

Divide and Conquer is the only good 12 player map that blizzard made. We usually use the custom map Splatter as an alternative to it. That said, we only use 12 player maps in special events.

Offline blast870

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 26, 2016, 01:15:51 pm »
Curiosity still remains. I've checked other maps, and they tend to have short distances like 28sec, which is very norm. Also the highly regarded maps you mentioned, Silverpine Forest had 28sec of distance while Twilight Ruins had 20 and 26 sec. So the latter maps theoretically allows hero harassment and tower rushes. The source of my curiosity is simple; why there exists such a gap between maps. For a FFA layperson, that irregularity is confusing and I do not know which to focus.

-------------

As for the second question, so the map truly in demand is a 4 player map with large space?
I was thinking of making a 8 player map due to its lacking numbers but if solid maps do already exist hmm
Maybe i should move onto 6 or 4 haha

Offline FML|red7z7

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 26, 2016, 02:20:24 pm »
My opinion on what is missing from FFA is balanced 6-player maps with lots of creeps, yet small spawn distances. The only 6-player maps we play regularly are Silverpine Forest (very good) and Monsoon (stable, but less popular) and Harvest of Sorrow (somewhat of a classic in FML). Neither Silverpine nor Monsoon has a lot of creep camps per player. Harvest, while it has a lot of creeps, is a humongous map with large spawning distances. On occaison we will play Thunder Lake and Savage Storm. They both are way less popular for multiple reasons. Thunder Lake has really long distances across map because you can't walk the center. It also has really hard to attack mains due to uphill and small pathways. Savage storm has too hard of creeps overall especially for some races. FFA palyers like to be able to fast expand relatively easily and Savage Storm doesn't have that. It also has islands/unreachable cliffs which can lead to camping and long boring games.