April 18, 2024, 10:57:28 pm

Author Topic: FFA/FML Podcast  (Read 14614 times)

Offline junkerzam

• FML Contributor
  • Tauren
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: junkerzam
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Random
FFA/FML Podcast
« on: March 23, 2016, 10:01:28 am »
hello fellow nerds,

me and fetta are plotting to do a regular podcast to discuss and analyse recent FML games, the FFA scene and basically anything that has to do with WC3 with a focus on FFA.

so, is there any interest in such a podcast? if so, would be great to get some suggestions on themes and topics to discuss or whatever else. one idea is to regularly invite different players and admins to join the podcast. but it can be anything from fetta's complex orc strategies to tleilaxu's top 10 goth bands

Magadansky

Re: FFA/FML Podcast
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 10:24:05 am »
Sounds like fun! Also, you can add questions outside of FFA and stuff. We are a close community after all. We should know why Laxu ended up listening to such a horrible music! :D

Offline Valefort

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 10:58:23 am »
I would definitely listen to such a thing, suggestion : one study of an ffa map.

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: WorpeX
  • Race: Undead
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 01:38:06 pm »
Would like to hear some cool interviews too. Id listen!

DV-

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 01:46:47 pm »
1) recent FML games overview
2) fetta analysis on his play last round
3) whats going on at FFArena? Why mappool is so bad?
4) a minute with Dr.Jaod - new russian words we learned
5) how is soso doing? report from citadel of sadness

Offline FML|red7z7

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: red7z7
  • Coins: 284
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 03:48:52 pm »
What is the expected length of a podcast? Wouldn't it be kind of hard to make good content without visuals? I know Mage's style was often to talk about a lot of things during the downtime in long FFA replays etc.

Offline fetta_ook

• Tauren
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: fetta_ook
  • Race: Orc
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 04:36:30 pm »
@Maga I agree that we should really dig in to the reasons why laxu listens to that horrible "music", but despite my curiousity I'm not sure I really wanna know. #pandorasbox

@DV I really like your idea of having a repeating topic where we dedicate 5 minutes to the recent activity of Jaod. Sometimes at work/on the subway I can start laughing out loud when I read some of his posts. Also I think gradient deserves some air time.

@Red the purpose of a podcast is not to have something on youtube that you can watch, but rather a complement to listening to music/documentaries. Something you can listen to through iTunes, soundcloud or smth when you are on a bus, on your way to smth or mb just trying to fall asleep.

This is of course going to be reflecting our personal views and we are gonna be ourselves, which means that some people might not like what they hear and this will definitely not be politically correct. Just a fun way of discussing the best computer game ever, this godforsaken community and maybe deep dives into tactics or guessing the color of tleilaxu's family caravan and tent.

The people on my draft shortlist that I'd like to bring in as guests are:

mage
mog
seksi
DV
alien (but you can't be as nice and polite as always, you're not running for governor god damnit)
maga
mog
dovekie
JAODY

(maybe even cumulo, since I really liked the jokes you threw at me for being a greedy jew. However, I don't like your accent since it reminds me of being in Arequipa where I was shitting chunky liquid for 8 days straight)

Offline Pinballmap

• FML Contributor
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Replay Master
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Pinballmap
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 05:18:12 pm »
Yeah man great idea. Cant wait to listen to it.

Ponty

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 07:18:52 pm »
That's a pretty cool idea

One question, do you plan to record your podcast and then post it on youtube or w/e platform, or will it be something live on twitch? (or even both)

If you want to make these podcasts on twitch i recommand having a section where people in the chat can debate with you

Also you could use the ffamasters channel which already has a big pool of followers or even createan account more official like "Back2FFA"
Well if you decide to use your main twitch account its fine too
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 07:21:14 pm by Ponty »

Offline FML|Mage

• FML Bets Season 1 Winner
  • Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: practice_mage
  • Race: Night Elf
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 08:14:30 pm »
Awesome idea.  I presume the idea is to record it as an MP3 audio only right?  Live streaming on twitch could be cool though, maybe a 5 minute ask the audience section.

Obviously you're welcome to use the FML Twitch account (and upload the audio portion on YouTube as well if you want)

100% down to special guest whenever we can get our schedules to align.
Hi

Offline ZsSuperCumulo

• Super-Blademaster
  • Ich der Beste
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: SuperCumulo@Lordaeron
  • Race: Human
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 10:21:00 pm »
Me and Alien are going to cast a replay from one of the games this season, we'll do it tomorrow at 9pm EST (21 EST) so if anyone is intersted, feel free to join us :D

«Espero pacientemente el dia que deba mostrar mi verdadero poder» Supremo

Offline Ugrilainen

• Administrator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
    • Ugri on twitter
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 07:21:57 am »
Since the podcasts wont be politically correct, I suppose I will be allowed not to be myself.

It is a good idea, really it is. Now two things strikes me :

1- very FML self centered : you mean to discuss the FFA scene, it looks like more of a discussion of the FML league according to the topic and guests pre-drafted. Also, you draft according to personal relationships, which is k but still too self centered.

2- it joins 1 in some way. You publish your great idea one day after ztsoso publishes his, overshadowing it. On w3arena, we would discuss announcements so one does not overshadow another, thats why the FFA news has been left one full week despite Neo having something else to say.

Ideas should not be concurencial but try to complete each others. I appreciated that Soso mentionned the FFA cup to be to organized in his post for example.

You could say your podcast is not concurencing his project, since its just a podcast. But you purposely or not do not mention it at all or Ztsoso's name.

I feel like your podcast would in the end be the same as the skype group chat, but being read by somebody.

I hope it wont be that, and that it will be indeed organized (when does it start??). Even if fun and corrosive, it needs to be structured and global for it to be interesting outside of the skype group.

~Ugri (trying to improve a tool that could be useful, not trying to annoy anyone)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 07:44:11 am by Ugrilainen »

Offline Ugrilainen

• Administrator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
    • Ugri on twitter
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 07:52:00 am »
You could structure it this way, if you intend let's say to do it once every two weeks :

1- FML round review : by fetta and junkerzam. You will know what to do there so moving on.
2- FFA Ladder review : with Ponty or DV or whoever reached the top 3 and wasnt there last time? You can discuss winning streaks, streams etc..
3- other events (FFA Cup from organization to conclusion, Sympo, Ztsoso showgames etc)
4- Focus on a particular game with a guest who is selected according to the News (the guy who won an awesome FML game that week, the guy who won 16 FFA Ladder games in a row, w/e you feel like). If nothing major occurs, bring back Wrectify to discuss old games or something.

Just ideas to structure this. I would defenitely listen to that and would have it promoted on all w3a related medias : it could bring along new players, if you make it interesting.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 07:55:27 am by Ugrilainen »

Offline fetta_ook

• Tauren
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: fetta_ook
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2016, 02:36:09 pm »
I like your input Ugri, good ideas where I agree on most, especially on the aspect of spreading the news so they can be digested and discussed before the next one comes. Having said this, the timing has nothing to do with outshining soso' is news. In fact, I am still trying to come up with a cunning way to sneak myself into these showmatches, without luck so far.

The whole idea of this podcast thing was something that occurred last weekend when me and junker was having a LAN at his place. Junkers idea was initially to have it centered around fml. However, I think Ugris points are valid that if we make it a fml-podcast it would be a very narrow crowd who would find it interesting. Instead we should focus on things that are interesting for fml-players, random bot-players and maybe even solo-players and players that have been absent from w3 for a decade. With all the new cool things happening with w3arena, maybe we can leverage this podcast as an embryo to the future uprising of FFA.

It could be done live as a twitch channel, but the first one would have to be recorded, so that we can edit it and make it short but great.

Since me and junker are as big noobs to podcasting as we were to FFA whe. We discovered playFFA, we will need all the feedback we could get. We will soon sort plotting the first episode, but for now I just have one question:

Would you prefer having it with or without webcam? Pros and cons. One obvious con, junker is ugly as hell so lower the quality on your monitors so they don't crack, but that goes unsaid.

Offline Pinballmap

• FML Contributor
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Replay Master
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Pinballmap
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2016, 02:59:12 pm »
I'd prefer a video stream so it can be viewed live on twittch. Im really looking forward into your first attempt bros.