April 27, 2024, 06:28:50 pm

Author Topic: alternate ways to qualify for the league?  (Read 7759 times)

Offline FML|red7z7

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: red7z7
  • Coins: 284
  • Race: Undead
alternate ways to qualify for the league?
« on: October 25, 2011, 05:20:16 am »
the current qualification system isnt bad, but it can be pretty harsh, especially for new players trying to get mmore into FFA. the people who palyed in s10 got pretty lucky because it was open to all, and everyone got 4 games to win 1 and qualify for s11 (plus me and darkermirror who were fortunate enough to be given the open spots). players entering this season only have 2 games to get into the league. good palyers like lightweight can get screwed over more or less. seems pretty hard to get into the league now if you lose qualies one season, then have to do qualies again the next season and so on...

so maybe there can be an alternate way to prove yourself and qualify for the league. in particular i was thinking of doing a short tourney between seasons thats open to everyone and allows them a chance to prove themselves and if they do well they can qualify for the league. but then we have another problem of too many people who "are qualified" and end up having to do qualifiers on some of those people anyways.

i guess then it comes down to whether we want the league tightly capped at 30something people and accept the fact of harsh qualifiers for all (kind of exclusive, but also makes the league more prestigious and rewarding) OR if we want to embrace the FFA community and allow anyone to get in the league (like season 10), and just remove people based on inactivity or banable behavior.

TLDR currently its hard for new players / returning palyers to qualify for the league. possibly introduce tourney between leagues open to all for people to prove themselves and earn a spot in the league. also consider raising cap on players for fml
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 05:22:12 am by red7z7 »

Offline Murrock

• Peon
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: MightyMurrock
  • Race: Human
Re: alternate ways to qualify for the league?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 07:40:36 am »
Moar Murrock imo

Offline FML|Renaud

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • ex King of FFA
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: FML_Renaud
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Night Elf
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 09:44:20 am »
Hmmm come to think of it, there would be a way.  We could accept everyone, then every two game, cut the number of players.  That way everyone gets to play (because it must have been a month or two since my last fml game!) and chances are only players who got last twice in a row gets eliminated (as opposed to those who did not win)

HOWEVER! EVERYONE HATE THE IDEAL :(((((((

Offline Q-veta

• Tauren
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Jewish.Banker
  • Race: Human
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 09:47:37 am »
We hated the idea because this is FML, not Survivor.

Offline FML|Renaud

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • ex King of FFA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 10:29:54 am »
No, you hated this ideal because you were already in, and scared you couldn't earn your spot!

Some time you act like you're one of those lone guy

Offline rygorych

• Super-Blademaster
  • Pro Troll
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Ebo
  • Race: Orc
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 11:12:30 am »
Well it's always a trade off between the friendliness and strictness of elimination system.

As long as FML is kept at 4 players per game, we need a number of players divisible by 4.

More math: to keep matchups balanced (e.g. not playing same people over and over).

So the actual numbers are fairly strict if you want strctured/fair tournament.

The monkeys in the gears come in when people give up/fail to show up for their games. That's when you need subs / wish you had more players.

Offline FML|Renaud

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • ex King of FFA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 01:55:43 pm »
Or what we could do (but i'm reluctant since... well it would take more work from us) is revive the FML ladder and X position auto-qualify

Or we could simply remove the player cap

Or we could go back to an FML A / FML B thing

We have qualifiers for everyone beside the FML A finalist and FML B champ.
Winners goes in FML A, the others goes in FML B

This way the elite plays between each other in FML A, and the others fight between themselves for 1 spot in FML A
Also, whenever we need to replace a player (if he has to leave for personnal reasons) we pick the current top player in FML B

Heck, we could completely remove the qualifiers, 12/16 players stays in FML A, and the 4 finalist of FML B rises to FML A.  FML B would be sort of like a qualifier running during the regular season

Although if we go back to a 16 player league (for fml A) we might want to reduce the numbers of rounds to 4 (that way everyone would play everyone once)

Thoughts?

Offline DarKNeSSCaLLs

• Blademaster
  • The Imbalanced one
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: DarKNeSSCaLLsMe
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 01:59:14 pm »
Some people don't care to play FML ladder though.

FML A/B was a cool concept

Some time you act like you're one of those lone guy

Professional, courteous, and skilled? I don't think these are the qualities that match Q, sorry.

*dodges incoming flames*

Offline rygorych

• Super-Blademaster
  • Pro Troll
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Ebo
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 02:06:41 pm »
Or what we could do (but i'm reluctant since... well it would take more work from us) is revive the FML ladder and X position auto-qualify

Or we could simply remove the player cap

Or we could go back to an FML A / FML B thing

We have qualifiers for everyone beside the FML A finalist and FML B champ.
Winners goes in FML A, the others goes in FML B

This way the elite plays between each other in FML A, and the others fight between themselves for 1 spot in FML A
Also, whenever we need to replace a player (if he has to leave for personnal reasons) we pick the current top player in FML B

Heck, we could completely remove the qualifiers, 12/16 players stays in FML A, and the 4 finalist of FML B rises to FML A.  FML B would be sort of like a qualifier running during the regular season

Although if we go back to a 16 player league (for fml A) we might want to reduce the numbers of rounds to 4 (that way everyone would play everyone once)

Thoughts?
Of course, League B will still need to be limited in numbers to allow for reasonable number of games.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 05:34:20 pm by rygorych »

Offline JiNxD

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 02:29:36 pm »
As a new, fairly inexperienced FFA player, I like the idea of either a ladder or an "FML B" league that feeds into FML A in a system that resembles the promotion/relegation system of many European soccer leagues (check it out if you don't know what I'm talking about). I know it's more work for the admin, but I'd love the opportunity have organized matches and improve my FFA skills.

On another note, I really enjoyed the qualifiers even though I didn't win or come close even. It was fun to have organized matches to look forward to, and the most of the community was really nice and helpful in discussing my many errors in a constructive way. Thanks to the admins and everyone else for making this such a positive experience.

Offline FML|Mage

• FML Bets Season 1 Winner
  • Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: practice_mage
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 03:38:14 pm »
I really like the idea of FML B.  There's a good chance I won't make this season, but I really enjoy being able to schedule matches and know that I'll be able to play at certain times and against new players. I'm usually able to find a game on ggc, but a lot of the time it's against the same people.  I think that having a lower league would encourage the ffa scene to grow a bit more (hopefully.)
Hi

Ugrilainen

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 05:48:26 pm »
I recognize here the kindness of red7z7.

Qualifiers is the fairest way to chose who is in the league or not.

The guys have two chances to pass. They play mostly inexperimented or for some quite low level players. After chance 1, they play only losers in round 2.

7/16 players are in, nearly 50%.

There is no perfect system, this one is the best. It's only fair players prove their worth in these two games in order to qualify. Then the results are the results. I'd have liked LW in fml as well, but he lost 2 games in a row.

We will see him anyway as good and active as he is, he will be able to sub/replace any guy in the league.

Btw 32 players is the perfect number for the league.
Imo FML B sucked and we wont have enough players for it. Mage I suggest you just win your game, you have the skill to do it.

Gl to everyone

Wrecktify

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 06:47:59 pm »
The current system is fine.

The trick to qualifying is to become better.

Thread locked.

Oh wait im not an admin and cand do that :(

Offline FML|Renaud

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • ex King of FFA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 06:54:08 pm »
says the guy who din't have to qualify! :P

Wrecktify

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 07:23:20 pm »
Pfft I had to qualify at one point :P