April 20, 2024, 02:36:38 am

Author Topic: Round 2... Fight!  (Read 9297 times)

Offline Peregrine

• Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Peregrine
  • Coins: 168
  • Race: Random
Re: Round 2... Fight!
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2014, 02:42:38 pm »
Wrecktify used to have the best prediction descriptions but this year LW had me laughing by halfway through

ps alienwarezowns isnt a newcomer, he used to contend with f-l-y for rank 1 back in prehistoric times

Offline SweeT

• Shaman
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: SweeT
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Orc
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 02:46:05 pm »
"Best Australian wc3 player Elessar"

Offline Wrecktify

• FML Contributor
  • Blademaster
  • Supreme Admin of FML
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: SerWrecktify
  • Race: Night Elf
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2014, 03:45:12 pm »
Wrecktify used to have the best prediction descriptions but this year LW had me laughing by halfway through

ps alienwarezowns isnt a newcomer, he used to contend with f-l-y for rank 1 back in prehistoric times

Q_Q unfortunately between work, the fact that the admins let 400 players into teh league, and the fact that I dont know half the players makes it impossible to make quality predictiosn anymore :(

Offline FML|Renaud

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • ex King of FFA
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: FML_Renaud
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2014, 04:31:40 pm »
Yeah I started doing them a while back and realized half my prediction were "he's the only one I know so... I guess him?"
Need to wait for the main season :)

Offline Wrecktify

• FML Contributor
  • Blademaster
  • Supreme Admin of FML
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2014, 04:34:09 pm »
there is no main season o_O

Offline Pinballmap

• FML Contributor
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Replay Master
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Pinballmap
  • Race: Orc
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2014, 04:51:16 pm »
there is after round 3

Offline Wrecktify

• FML Contributor
  • Blademaster
  • Supreme Admin of FML
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2014, 04:58:26 pm »
naw, its basically like a tournament.  this is barely a season in the truest sense of the word.

realyl we are playing the 'season' now, with the crap after r3 being the playoffs leading into a finals.

Offline Peregrine

• Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Peregrine
  • Coins: 168
  • Race: Random
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2014, 12:14:19 am »
yeah what wreck says is true, personally id prefer a 4 or 5 game season, 3 seems too few for ffa, where anyone can win a game or two due to random factors

Offline FML|Mog

• Global Moderator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Mog[skynet]
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2014, 12:18:07 am »
This season, despite the terminology of "qualifiers" and "season" is just a variation of last season's elimination style. Except instead of 3 smaller eliminations, there is one big one halfway through.

I'm not saying I mind it, or it is bad, or anything like that. Just how I see it. Seems like regular season should be at least a week longer though... but then again if I don't qualify I wouldn't want it longer because I would want the next season to start sooner haha

Offline FML|red7z7

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: red7z7
  • Coins: 284
  • Race: Undead
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2014, 12:53:31 am »
There are many logistical factors that go into the consideration of the season format, on top of considering what players enjoy and what makes for the best competition. The admin team feels that we have chosen a format that reaches a good balance between the advantages and disadvantages of various formats, and most importantly one that addresses much of the feedback from recent seasons. We appreciate all feedback and ask that players have an open mind while the season is still in its early stages.

Cheers

Offline FML|Renaud

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • ex King of FFA
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: FML_Renaud
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2014, 07:41:29 am »
LIES! YOUR NAME IS NOT CHEERS! ITS RED7Z7

Renaud

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: WorpeX
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2014, 08:29:43 am »
yeah what wreck says is true, personally id prefer a 4 or 5 game season, 3 seems too few for ffa, where anyone can win a game or two due to random factors

3 is the qualifiers and the season is 4 games. I think. Thats what I thought it was.

Offline Wrecktify

• FML Contributor
  • Blademaster
  • Supreme Admin of FML
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2014, 10:39:22 am »
its 3 and 3.  which is why this season is not a season, but a retarded pseudo tournament.

also red - having been on the admin team for 2 seasons i know there is little logic that goes into these discussions.  ill leave it at that, but lets call a spade.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 10:40:53 am by Wrecktify »

Offline FML|red7z7

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: red7z7
  • Coins: 284
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2014, 01:47:50 pm »
its 3 and 3.  which is why this season is not a season, but a retarded pseudo tournament.

also red - having been on the admin team for 2 seasons i know there is little logic that goes into these discussions.  ill leave it at that, but lets call a spade.

That may have been the case during that time, but there are over 20 pages of discussion regarding this season in the admin section right now. A lot of discussion went into this format. I don't mind making our reasoning transparent:

- Player's complained about getting eliminated too early and they wanted to play more games. The 2-round qualifier system is even worse on this point than the elimination system from last season, since many players (including some unlucky good players) get only 2 games.

- Players asked for an extended qualifier.

- There needs to be some kind of filtration system, whether qualifier or elimination, because otherwise the bottom of the rankings at some point have 0 chance of proceeding and thus lose interest and never schedule their games.

- An extended qualifier helps to keep worse players from lucking into the season.

- The 2-round qualifier system requires a precise amount of players. You have X players auto-qualify, then you have N number of applicants divided by 4 who qualify from round 1, followed by (N - N/4)/4 for round 2. Choosing how many auto-qualify in a fair manner to make the numbers work is not easy. And all the numbers go to shit when some players drop out of the league.

- To continue on the point above, the 3 round qualy system makes the logistics a lot easier since you only select top X, there doesn't need to be a perfect balance.

- This system improves on the elimination system because after 3 rounds, the scores are essentially reset except with some points to award players who did better in the qualifier (1 per win).

- With the auto - qualify method, a lot of the most exciting matches are delayed over a month, and those players have to wait that long to play their first game. It's a small perk with this system that we avoid that.

- I would hardly call this season a tournament. It is the same length or longer than previous seasons, taking up a good portion of the year (definition of season). It certainly is less of a "tournament" than the last season.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 05:04:38 pm by red7z7 »

DV-

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2014, 05:35:35 am »
The thing is - 3 rounds quali is the same as 1 round quali since u need to win 1 game. Well and show up for 2 other games.

I have no idea which format would be better but it seems 3 rounds system isnt great with 25-10-10-5 points system.