April 20, 2024, 07:46:20 am

Author Topic: Welcome Back Folks  (Read 5393 times)

Offline Ugrilainen

• Administrator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
    • Ugri on twitter
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Undead
Re: Welcome Back Folks
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 06:21:25 am »
I would like to share my opinion and develop it beyond a simple 200% agree comment.

For me oldschool FML meant that before, it was hard earned to qualify for it. Only the top guns could make it with a double epic round of qualification.

Then the games with an elite of 16 players were all followed and made us enthusiastic.

Now with 50 guys the overall level obviously decreases and I do not think that it is what we expect from FML.

On the ladder and on regularly in inhouse games or other events, all the community can involve and play : the offer in ffa games to be played is numerous.

But we do not have an offer of elite 4 ways games at all! Not only the best players would want that but also the FFA followers would want to see Nooblex vs Yane vs Renaud vs Persuade type of games.

I think last seasons lacked such games because the best were always mixed up with other players a little less skilled.

That is my opinion of course but I wish to see back an elite FML season that we would all fight to have an obs slot like it used to be.

Ugri

Offline FML|red7z7

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: red7z7
  • Coins: 284
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 07:40:45 am »
Thanks for the feedback! Let me assure you that we take everyone's feedback on the league into consideration and that many of the concerns you've expressed are actually things we're already planning to address in season 20. I think you'll be happy to hear that some aspects of the oldschool FML formats will make a return in s20 :)

Agree with you Ugri -- FML is the place we all expect to have FFA competition of the highest degree. The place to go to see the very best players duke it out in anticipated 4-ways, where the stakes are the highest because there is no anonymity and players can prepare for matches a week in advance. We plan to maintain FML with that calibre of competition.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 07:47:09 am by red7z7 »

Offline Ugrilainen

• Administrator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
    • Ugri on twitter
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 08:53:44 am »
My take is : 16 is the magic number!

DV-

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2014, 12:51:24 pm »
Lvl of ffa skill obviously increased over the years based on early seasons replays.
16 is too little as for me cuz quali is kinda luck based and random.

Offline FML|Mage

• FML Bets Season 1 Winner
  • Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: practice_mage
  • Race: Night Elf
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 01:49:35 pm »
It's a good point, and it's part of the reason we like to mix seasons up.  No matter what number we set it at (unless there's no qualifiers), someone great is going to be left out of the season.  Now, that is part of the fun as well is that even making the league is a big accomplishment but we want to hit the sweet spot on size for sure.

If you look back over the years I'm sure you'll notice a trend starting with Season 10 where we'd have a big group of players (Season 10 there were no qualifiers) followed by more select groups.  With a bigger season last season then you can be sure we'll probably be narrowing it down.

Again, thank you all for the comments and feedback.  You can be sure we want to hear more but the feedback has been great so far.  I love the well thought out and reasoned arguments for or against certain things, and while we won't be able to please everyone you can be sure we'll be giving each point consideration.
Hi

Offline FML|Renaud

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • ex King of FFA
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: FML_Renaud
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2014, 05:26:13 pm »
We all know the truth guys...
The only reason we did the elimination season, is because I'm unable to win qualifier matches :D

Offline Nooblex

• Grunt
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Nooblex
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 05:48:16 pm »
Let me add to my first comment. I think there's a few things we all want:

1. Competitive, balanced games with really good players.

2. Big names like Maga, Wreck and Htrt actually being in the league.

3. A chance for newer players to prove themselves and potentially make it in.

I may be wrong, but I think that's what most people want. So let's think about what kind of set up helps that happen.

What comes to mind for me off the top of my head is either having an extensive qualifier (perhaps with the first matchups trying to evenly distribute skill level... so we don't get a Htrt/Seksi/Maga/Ostone game in round 1). Either that or have a few set spots for the top 8 or so (based on previous FML success) and a qualifier for the other 8-16 spots.

That would make it likely that most of the great players get in, but still give a fair chance to anyone newer.

As far as the league goes, I think simpler is better. The same 25/10/10/5 points with a a small bonus for highest score. Good balanced maps all the way through like twilight, silverpine, market, harvest, sanctuary, etc. Top 2-3 players make finals and 1-2 4 person semis for the last 1-2 spots.

If other things are added, make them things that don't promote luck as a factor. Maybe each person gets 1 map veto per season.

Cheers

Offline FML|Mog

• Global Moderator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Mog[skynet]
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 06:48:47 pm »
Well whatever the format is, good thing former champions get auto qualified......right? :D :D : D

But yeah... I have a similar problem as Renaud; losing in qualifiers haha

Jokes aside I agree with both super long posts from blex and mage.

TLDR version: don't want stagnation, but want best players playing for highest level and quality games

Offline FML|red7z7

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: red7z7
  • Coins: 284
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 07:28:54 pm »
Just curious if anyone has any thoughts/ideas on fair tie-breakers.

Whats been tried:
-TB points with the cards system
-Checking to see if one of the tied players beat the other in the same game (only looking at wins, keeping 2nd and 3rd equal)
-Checking to see which of the tied players had better performance vs the point-leaders (keeping 2nd and 3rd equal)

What else could be tried?

Offline MattiasG

• Shaman
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: MattiasG
  • Race: Random
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2014, 05:41:08 am »
Just moved into my new house, internet is set-up but currently only wireless on my macbook.

As soon as I manage to pull a decent UTP-cable in the walls above, I will be glad to play again!