March 28, 2024, 11:00:52 am

Author Topic: Welcome Back Folks  (Read 5374 times)

Offline FML|Mage

• FML Bets Season 1 Winner
  • Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: practice_mage
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Night Elf
Welcome Back Folks
« on: October 22, 2014, 10:07:53 am »
:FMLN:

Well, we've heard the questions about when would Season 20 get started and the answer is very soon!  This coming weekend we will be hosting a show match to kick things off, and after that we'll host some custom games for those that are interested.

We will also be announcing the time-frame for Season 20 on Saturday, and asking for your feedback on Season 19 as well!  We couldn't run this league without those of you who want to play in it, and it's very important to us that your experience be as enjoyable as possible.

Stay tuned for future updates and enjoy the rest of your week!

~Mage
Hi

Offline ostone

• Shaman
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: ostone
  • Race: Orc
Re: Welcome Back Folks
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 10:44:34 am »
Lets make a showmatch between all active fml champions:) would be great

DV-

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 11:03:05 am »
Double points - fun but bad with cut off system (especially for those noobs who cant win 1 game like persuade and me)

Actually i dont like cut off system at all! Let noobs play till the end!

Offline FML|Mage

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 11:40:58 am »
Lets make a showmatch between all active fml champions:) would be great

I like this idea a lot, thanks!

Quote from: dv
Double points - fun but bad with cut off system (especially for those noobs who cant win 1 game like persuade and me)

Good opinions and thanks!  We'll have a thread dedicated to feedback coming out soon with a few other areas we'd like comments so hope we can get some more from you :)
Hi

Offline Pinballmap

• FML Contributor
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Replay Master
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Pinballmap
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 11:42:31 am »

We are reworking the cards which were used in S19, we will probably remove one of them and change the other.

We are not 100% sure about the format yet, but it wont be an elimination system we used in the previous season.

e: damn mage was faster.

and we are planing some All-star /ffa pro matches. so i agree that Ostone's idea is great :D

Offline Seksi

• FML Contributor
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: sEksi
  • Race: Random
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 12:13:31 pm »
Cool guys, good news. 

Maybe this isn't the right spot to say, but I think it would be interesting to consider a round with 6 or 8 players in one game.  (More likely 6)

Offline Ugrilainen

• Administrator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
    • Ugri on twitter
  • Race: Undead
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 07:23:56 am »

100% agrees!

Offline Nooblex

• Grunt
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Nooblex
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 01:03:15 pm »
Obviously I didn't play last season but the elimination and especially the cards make no sense to me. If you win the game you use your double points card in you're basically already in the semis even if that's the only game you win.

I guess my perspective is FML has always been *competitive* FFA, and for a long time it's been the only place where that gametype exists. Leave the funky stuff out.

Offline Pinballmap

• FML Contributor
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Replay Master
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Pinballmap
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 01:07:15 pm »
About the cards. You had to use it before the game happened. And we just used them in S19. we will work out an alternative system for S20.

Offline FML|Renaud

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • ex King of FFA
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: FML_Renaud
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 04:01:59 pm »

Actually, when we don't have the cut off system we use the qualifier system, where noobs don't get to play at all ;)

Offline FML|Mog

• Global Moderator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Mog[skynet]
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 07:34:53 pm »
The thing I disliked the most about the elimination system was how the matchups are made. Example: soso and I matched 3 times in the season, and Renaud and I also matched 3 times I believe. It might be just in my head, but I felt like it put both soso and I at a big disadvantage when we matched in the semi final. By that point, it seemed like we were both somewhat annoyed at playing vs the other, and it showed within the game.

The cards were fun, but not ideal. The double point card especially didn't work out as well as maybe it was intended. The sub card, while really annoying scheduling wise, did allow for more strategic play. And the map voting system was great.

That's my opinion at least :)

Offline Ugrilainen

• Administrator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
    • Ugri on twitter
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 07:55:02 pm »
Obviously I didn't play last season but the elimination and especially the cards make no sense to me. If you win the game you use your double points card in you're basically already in the semis even if that's the only game you win.

I guess my perspective is FML has always been *competitive* FFA, and for a long time it's been the only place where that gametype exists. Leave the funky stuff out.

200% agree! :D

bring back oldschool FML

Offline FML|red7z7

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: red7z7
  • Coins: 284
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 08:09:30 pm »
Agree with Mog on that one -- I don't think pairing should ever be based on score, as that causes repeat matchups the entire season.

Double score card should be a smaller multiplier and it might be fair.

200% agree! :D

bring back oldschool FML

400% agree

Offline FML|Mage

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 08:17:58 pm »
All fair points, and it looks like maybe we should just have this be the feedback thread ^-^

I completely understand the idea of having "old school" FML to come back, and Season 20 will look more traditional.  That being said, people don't want the same season format over and over again.  Season 19 had as many changes as it did because of the fact that the previous seasons had been the same format for a while and players wanted change.  Perhaps we were a bit bold combining so many new elements at once, but I think that overall it did pretty well.  There were certainly parts we didn't like (double score was weighted too heavily) and parts that we really did.

Certain things like elimination will make an appearance again in the future I'd guess, but it's not a format that will be used season after season.  It's a fun way to include more people in FML though since normally only 16 or 20 people make each season.  Last season I think we started off with ~50 which allows for a lot more participation, and a lot of people to get their shot that normally might not. 

Stagnation is the enemy of FML, however we completely understand that players see it as a platform to measure themselves against the best in the game and want it to be a more traditional league.  As such we're constantly working to balance keeping players interested in the game and keeping a pure experience for our users.

Thank you all for the great feedback!  Keep it coming and stay tuned for more announcements.
Hi

Offline FML|Renaud

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • ex King of FFA
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: FML_Renaud
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 12:34:46 am »
Well we wouldn't have had the same game 3 time, but SOMEONE decided he wanted to switch match!