April 27, 2024, 02:51:34 pm

Author Topic: The Official Beer Thread  (Read 4748 times)

Offline FML|Mage

• FML Bets Season 1 Winner
  • Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: practice_mage
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Night Elf
The Official Beer Thread
« on: October 29, 2013, 02:09:12 pm »
Okay, this has been a long time coming.  This is for talking about beers to try, favorite beers, or beers that just absolutely suck. 

My current favorites:

120 Minute by Dogfish Head. 

Starting off with the big guns, this beer weighs in around 18-22% ABV and costs ~$14 USD.  It's technically an IPA, but the aging process makes it much sweeter than you would expect an IPA to be, and almost resembles a desert wine or a barrel aged beer.  Everyone should try it at least once, and then they will no doubt want to try it more!

Imperial Russian Stout by Stone.

As far as I can tell it's impossible to go wrong with Stone.  While I normally lean towards their IPA's, this is a special stout.  With a strong bitter taste at first it evens out and allows the drinker to quickly adapt to it.  While I hesitate to say any good stout is very drinkable, this one comes pretty close to being something I could consistently drink. 

Port City Porter by Port City.

One of the less well known brewing companies, Port City can be very hit or miss.  Their porter is a home run though, and one of those few beers that is very affordable and absolutely delicious.  For a cold winter night when you don't want to break out anything special, this does just the trick.
Hi

Offline Pinballmap

• FML Contributor
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Replay Master
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Pinballmap
  • Race: Orc
Re: The Official Beer Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 02:29:50 pm »
I dont know what these beers are, but in Germany almost all beers only have around 5% alcohol. Strong beer has around 8-10%

I prefer Warsteiner Pils or Becks :D

also whats ABV and IPA?

Offline Persuade

• FML Contributor
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: persuade
  • Race: Random
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 02:41:07 pm »
I dont know what these beers are, but in Germany almost all beers only have around 5% alcohol. Strong beer has around 8-10%

also whats ABV and IPA?

abv is alcohol by volume, the %.

and ipa is the style, an indian pale ale.

Offline mogg_maniac

• Peon
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: MrWhite
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 02:47:20 pm »

No offense, but that's disgusting!

This is real german beer:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/820/2560
(just an example ofc, there are a lot of good beers)

edit: I start to like this site, they know almost every beer!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 02:55:25 pm by mogg_maniac »

Offline Jey_s_TeArS

• Official FML Streamer
  • Shaman
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Jey_s_TeArS
  • Race: Human
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 05:27:27 am »
Unfortunatly there is not much choice in usual grocery store and pubs in France. Mostly drink Picon-bière, it changes any beer from the tap in a bitter drink tasting orange and beer. Arguably the best value in alcool for money with good taste still.

try it!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirop_de_Picon

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: WorpeX
  • Race: Undead
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 08:33:49 am »

also whats ABV and IPA?

Not going to lie, I do like me some Becks!! My grandfather drinks it all the time so whenever I drink with him thats all we have.

My favorite beer I think is called the Left Hand Milk Stout. Its awesome. It's like a creamy stout. Very tasty!!

Offline FML|Mog

• Global Moderator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Mog[skynet]
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 11:52:06 am »
Well I'm gonna be less sophisticated here and just say I love me some Blue Moon! My favorite is the Belgium White, and I also love their seasonal Pumpkin Ale.

I also love Four Peaks Kiltlifter, but I think Four Peaks is a local brewing company only in Arizona....

Offline Slythe

• Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Slythe
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 12:58:38 pm »
i prefer wine, but these are my favourite beers atm:

flötzener märzen:

pretty deep structure, herbals and a small sweet note and still pretty drinkable.

zötler gold:

superfresh and a good malty side with fine finish.

more common beers: rothaus tannenzäpfle, schlappeseppel pils, cech imported budweiser, staropramen, heineken ( only on vacation ^^)

Offline SteppinRazor

• Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: SteppinRazor
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 04:56:40 pm »
Well I'm gonna be less sophisticated here and just say I love me some Blue Moon! My favorite is the Belgium White, and I also love their seasonal Pumpkin Ale.

I also love Four Peaks Kiltlifter, but I think Four Peaks is a local brewing company only in Arizona....

Nothing wrong with that Blue moon is awesome

Offline FML|Mage

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 05:16:54 pm »

Nothing wrong with that Blue moon is awesome

Wrong.  Blue Moon is terrible piss water, the fact that you put fruit in it should tell you everything you need to know!  (Also that it's brewed by Coors)

All that being said, on a hot summer day while eating it's pretty damn hard to beat a Blue Moon.

If you want to try an interesting lighter Belgian styled beer, then try Hennepin by Omegang.  I'm not a big fan of the style myself, but it is pretty good.  La Fin Du Monde by Unibroue is also fantastic, though as a tripel it's a bit stronger.
Hi

Offline FML|Mog

• Global Moderator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Mog[skynet]
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 05:25:02 pm »
Ok Mage you caught me all I drink is Miller High Life

Offline Seksi

• FML Contributor
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: sEksi
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 12:22:51 pm »
I live in AZ too, and I second Four Peaks Kilt Lifter.  I am a fan of Red Ales, Ambers and Porters/Stouts.  I don't care for light beer much, but I like a couple.  For common brand name beers, I like Heineken, Amber Bock, XX Amber, Guinness

I especially like a nice Porter or Stout.  A place in AZ called the Yard House has over 200 beers on tap, my favorite is their Vanilla Porter :icon_smile:

@Mage: Seems like you know a lot of craft beers, I do not like IPAs but any other Stouts or Porters you would recommend?

Offline FML|Mage

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 06:12:03 pm »
Yard House is awesome Seksi!

And agree about porters and stouts, I know that a lot of people only like 1 or 2 in the winter, but I could drink them all day. 

My recommendations for porters and stouts are going to be a bit east coast biased since most of the ones I have are east coast (minus Stone)

1554 by New Belgium

Okay, so right off the bat I'm deviating a bit.  1554 does not qualify as a stout or porter I don't believe, however it does qualify as fucking delicious.  It's a black ale that carries a lot of similarities as a light porter or stout might.  It's not as chewy, but it has a nice blend of coffee and bitter chocolate that tastes delicious, and leans towards the bitter end of the scale.  If you're a sweet beer person this may not be for you, but highly recommend trying it.

Smoked Porter - Chipotle by Stone

This one should be right around you.  It's another very interesting beer.  Very smoky, as the name might suggest but the Chipotle really adds an interesting taste to it.  I'm not sure it's one of my favorites, but give it a try.  You certainly won't really taste anything else like it.

Founders Breakfast Stout by Founders

Here's a more classic example of a stout.  Slightly sweet and very potent for what it is, you'll be able to easily drink a 6 pack of this and not even blink.  Warning though, unless you're used to craft beer you might not want to do that since it does come in at 8.5%

World Wide Stout by Dogfish Head

A great beer that you have to try at least once.  Registering a whopping ~20% ABV it certainly packs a punch.  It's incredibly sweet, and is more along the lines of a desert drink than anything else.  The taste is unique though, and while I certainly wouldn't drink more than a bottle of it, you won't regret having that bottle.  Protip, split it with a friend the first time you have it.

Miles Davis' Bitches Brew by Dogfish Head. 

This one is pretty hard to find, but should you come across it you have to try it. An American Imperial it represents everything America does right with beer.  Dark as can be, this beer will have your insides warming up and leave your taste buds tingling.  Not for the inexperienced drinker.

Hi

Offline normalice

• Grunt
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: normalice
  • Race: Undead
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 07:03:55 pm »
I like malt beers on tap.

Xingu is alright for bottled..

Offline ReFlekKt

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 10:25:04 pm »
Red Stripe!

Alright I like your sophistication Mage and beer tasting does sound like a pretty fun hobby so I'm thinking I'll have to grow into it eventually (hopefully sooner rather than later).

Seriously though I find that I drink Red Stripe most often so I guess it's my favorite beer. I recently had a Modelo Negra which I really liked so I bought a 12-pack of that and I'm not sorry I did. Pacifico and Blue Moon always deliver for me though I wouldn't consider them personal favorites.