April 23, 2024, 06:32:02 pm

Author Topic: [Interview] The Long Overdue One  (Read 8264 times)

Offline FML|Mage

• FML Bets Season 1 Winner
  • Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: practice_mage
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Night Elf
[Interview] The Long Overdue One
« on: October 23, 2013, 11:16:28 pm »
FML|Mage: Hey what's up everyone, this is Mage and today I have with me our Season 16 champion: DFM!  I promised him an interview for winning Season 16, but have been a little lazy in getting around to it.  So, how are you doing today DFM?
DFM: Not too shabby! Thanks for interviewing me Sir Magus
FML|Mage: Of course, of course.  If only everyone would be so appreciative when I deliver on my promises 3 months late!  Let's get into some background on you though since your FML playing history appears to be a bit lacking on paper, though you've certainly made the most of your time.  You joined FML just about a year ago, how did you first get involved?
DFM: I was bored waiting for ladder and one day saw a custom game for an "FML Ladder Match" on Silverpine.  I joined the game and was up against two solid FML players - Seksi and Eshan.  They ignored me for the most part, and I won a very easy game as they suicided one another for (what I think was) a bad history between the two
DFM: Afterwards Seksi invited me to the FML clan room and told me to play the ladder and, later, to apply for the league
FML|Mage: Well, that's certainly what our goal was with the FML Ladder, so glad to see that it actually worked in at least one instance.  I can't really remember, but did we have qualifiers for Season 15?  I believe we did.  If so, do you remember who you played and did you have any trouble making it into the league?  Being one of 16 certainly isn't the easiest task in the world.
DFM: Actually I didnt qualify.  A certain player decided to try to solo me out on a close spawn on Sanctuary, allowing another player to hoard massive amounts of gold.  Despite an hour of futility, this player continued to attack me and then switch to suicide mode.  I was pretty bummed, though my valliant effort allowed me to sub for (and ultimately replace) a no-showing RSM in Round One of S15.  I had to play undead though, which was not the best experience in the world. (read: Starshaped destroyed me very easily)
FML|Mage: Haha, well as you can clearly tell I don't do much research before these interviews.  Still, you managed to make it into the finals so you must have managed to step your game up.  Do you remember what your first win was?  And what were some of your notable moments throughout that season excluding the finals which we'll get to soon?
DFM: Maybe its my competitive nature, but its the losses that actually stand out more than the wins.  I literally just combed through the site, and it was a chim-over-water victory on Spider Falls.  I remember that ame because Humanstar missed it and Ugri subbed.  Also because Humamstar missed it I didnt have a tiebreaker against him which caused headaches at end of season
DFM: My most memorable moment of the season was losing to Seksi on Twilight Ruins when he went an awful, no DK hero combination.  I have always always always struggled with when to hoard vs when to build.  He hit me just as I tried to start hoarding
DFM: It was from that point to this day that I build an army 9 times out of 10, unlike my fellow hoarding elves, cause id rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
FML|Mage: That probably just means you've had too much experience on your knees... ANYWAY moving on from that disturbing mental image.  I do remember the tiebreaker at the end of the season, though it didn't cause any headaches for us.  What I remember causing headaches was you Mr. DFM.  Humi had won the tiebreaker, however wanted to play in the Semi's and you wanted to be in the finals so it did end up working out.
FML|Mage: That brings us to the Season 15 finals.  Arguably one of the most memorable finals in FML history, and certainly the most popular one on other sites.  With several thousand downloads all around, it was probably the first exposure most of the WC3 community had to you.  What were your thoughts going into the final, and how did you think you performed?
DFM: It was a tough final to prepare for.  I get the impresion 90% of FMLers dont give much thought to their gameplan, but I try to 'envision' my win, and I really couldnt do it for that game.  I wasnt confident I could beat maga without level 3 silenece and level 2 entangle minimum, which meant beating either Seksi or Humanstar.  Deadlock is a VERY good map for HvN (very wide open, easy to split tanks, etc.)  And even though I was faring well vs human that season he worried me.
DFM: Seksi is also a fearsome competitor, and not being able to prepare mentally for what race he was going to play in advance sucked.  I was worried he might go HU or Orc.  Ultimately he went elf, and the one time I faced his elf he beat me, so I didnt have much confidence
DFM: In terms of performance I am very happy.  Beating humanstar in a finals 1v1 was rewarding on many levels (Read: revenge for S13 finals haha)
DFM: Im disappointed I didnt push Seksi to acknowledge Maga more than I did, and that I allowed Seksi to get me heated enough to effectively suicide him.  But I repelled a 2v1 from those two very effectively and almost won.  Thats worth something right?
FML|Mage: I would certainly say so, and I think that that was probably the moment that you became regarded as the best active night elf player (minus me of course), and one of the top FML players at the time.  It also autoqualified you for Season 16 which was probably a bit of a relief after the prior seasons qualifiers. 
FML|Mage: Along the same lines as Season 15, what are your most notable memories of Season 16, up until the finals at least
DFM: Well definitely the lousy start.  LW rushing me out with mass tanks was a major shot to the old ego.  After that I started scouting more, and playing more aggressively.  There was also a supremely ridiculous game on Deadlock where Persuade tried to rush me out again, but I had planned on rushing him out as well.  After that was done I had like 500 gold and good heros vs I think 14k of FireDragon.  I wittled him down with charm and bof/haze and eventually beat him, which started a streak of 6 straight FML wins (yes, I am proud of that!)
DFM: I thnk you tried to cast that game actually
DFM: The stream crashed though, so you said "Well DFM probably loses GOOD NIGHT EVERYONE!"
DFM: (The North Remembers!)
FML|Mage: I do indeed remember that.  The problem was that Renaud had WTV'ed it for me, but he crashed.  So I exited the game saying it was clearly over on the stream.  Continued to stream on bnet and got a whisper saying that DFM had won it.  I'm pretty sure that's been the most confused I've been while streaming yet!  As for your streak, that's certainly something that is worthy of being proud of I think.  Hell, that's more wins than I have in my entire FML career I believe.  The other rather important part about it was that it allowed you to autoqualify for the Season 16 finals!  How'd it feel to qualify for the finals directly after such a dominating season
DFM: Now THAT was a relief.  Players play stupid on ladder, loosely in qualifiers, but in semis they really tighten up and I knew I didnt want to be a part of that.  Also I feel like winning with elf is 90% luck, so I didnt like my chances of winning two playoff games in a row :)
FML|Mage: I can only imagine... some day I'll reach it!  What about the finals though.  After an entire season of preparation, and a heartbreaking loss the finals before what did it feel liking going into this one?  You were matched up with Magadansky, the only three time FML winner and the bane of your previous game.  And more importantly, what did it feel like when you pulled off the win?!?
DFM: In a word? Redemption.  Maga has a permanent cloak of invisibility because, despite being the only three time FML winner, he is seldom if ever teamed properly.  I went in hoping to tome Sved and let LW/Maga battle it out.  Instead Maga *almost* tomed me, which would have just added insult to injury.  Fortunately a few proxy Trees of Life, 2 speed auras, 8 chims, and endless hit andruns later I got him off me
DFM: As for the win it was amazing.  In all my history of FFA I can count on one hand how many times I have had to rebuild and won the game
DFM: When I was down to a kotg, 2 chimera roosts, and 1 wisp, I could not dream of coming back.
DFM: When I *did* win it was great.  I have a tradition of playing Queen's "We are the Champions" out of my sound system after big wins, so needless to say Freddie Mercury was jamming out after that.
DFM: (seriously watch the game
DFM: the ending was epic)
FML|Mage: If ever it was deserved, it was probably then.  With an all star cast like that finals I think any win would be well deserved, but even more so one pulled off in such a stylish and adrenaline pumping manner. 
FML|Mage: Now, those that are familiar with my interviews may have noticed I skipped a rather standard part of the opening.  I normally take that chance to get to know a bit more about the player themselves.  However, we (the admins) have reason to believe that your background might be even more interesting than it would appear at first glance.  I didn't want this to take away from the rest of the interview, but is there anything else you'd like to tell us about yourself DFM?
DFM: Well, I've never really lied about my origins.  I *did* dominate RoC FFA as Progress with Starfall/invulnerability potion abuse, and did quit WC3 for some time when I couldnt figure out how to play TFT properly.
DFM: I also played under a few other AKAs, notably FoH)Bluedragoon (where I 2:0ed that chump Yane in a clanware once.  Also mulled to 20 of solo at that point on Azeroth, though I was truly a terrible player.)
DFM: I was the last US player to hold rank1 on the highly competitive Northrend FFA ladder under the AKA Knightmare (yes all my AKAs are anime inspired.) before FFA on northrend became hacker infested.
DFM: And perhaps the crowd reading this interview would know me best as 6 time FML finalist and 3 time champ Wrecktify.

Hi

Offline Persuade

• FML Contributor
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: persuade
  • Race: Random
Re: [Interview] The Long Overdue One
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 11:27:56 pm »
Your memory is atrocious.

The qualifier game i asked for peace and you backstabbed me because you were cocky enough to think you could beat mog.

And the deadlock game I was surrounded and you lore rushed me while I had like 1 expo to your 3.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 11:31:57 pm by FML|Persuade »

Offline blegfis

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 11:31:36 pm »
Best interview yet. And wb Wreck

Offline Wrecktify

• FML Contributor
  • Blademaster
  • Supreme Admin of FML
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: SerWrecktify
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 11:34:14 pm »
Your memory is atrocious.

The qualifier game i asked for peace and you backstabbed me because you were cocky enough to think you could beat mog.

And the deadlock game I was surrounded and you lore rushed me while I had like 1 expo to your 3.

As I recall you sent endless waves of tanks at me while screaming racial slurs.  Meanwhile Mog hoarded 120k.  You mentioned something about my mother as well. 

And indeed I did rush you while you had 2* expos to my 3.  Perhaps I should have waited for you to even it out so it would be less successful!??!?

8D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Persuade

• FML Contributor
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 11:35:56 pm »
I mean if I knew you had a hardon for rushing me then I wouldn't have gone rifles or maybe actually picked a race.  Rushing into a surround is something jackasses do.

(:

Offline Wrecktify

• FML Contributor
  • Blademaster
  • Supreme Admin of FML
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: SerWrecktify
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 11:37:58 pm »
Lul you were going rofles to rush out of that surround.  Now whose going all revisionist history.

Anyway I won, so clearly it was the right call 8))))))))))

Offline Persuade

• FML Contributor
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 11:39:38 pm »
Lul you were going rofles to rush out of that surround.  Now whose going all revisionist history.

Anyway I won, so clearly it was the right call 8))))))))))

Getting lucky vs someone who is bad vs orc is not the right call.

Also I was going humie because he's an easy tome.

Offline SteppinRazor

• Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: SteppinRazor
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 12:25:46 am »
Wait WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT, am I reading this correctly? DFM = Wreck?

Offline Searcher_FF

• Shaman
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Searcher_FF
  • Race: Undead
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 03:41:49 am »
omg )))))))))))))))   :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

Offline KenoStrikesBack

• Grunt
  • If I have wings... Why am I always walking?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 05:20:35 am »
The North remembers! Alright!

Offline Slythe

• Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Slythe
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 05:40:46 am »
oh, no. dfm is a smurf ! what a surprise...really...not. 

my guess was either htrt or wreck.

during the interview it was not bad done with some hints leading to the "unmasking", still wreck shoulda done some "wreck´s corner´s" instead.

it was kinda clear, after winning a final, that the guy could not hold back and had to reveal his identity, so that others would recognize " who really won that game".

sorry, but winning with smurfs does not count for me. maga with 3 wins still #1 fml.

still a story, so... gj

Offline Searcher_FF

• Shaman
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Searcher_FF
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 05:45:29 am »
Well DFM was already know as VERY good player when he got to this final, so we can't say he won coz of smurfing and underestimation. But, well done trolling xD

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: WorpeX
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 07:30:15 am »
Great interview!! Time to change the Hall of Fame to say Wrecktify. DarkFlameMaster doesn't fit anyway...

Offline SteppinRazor

• Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: SteppinRazor
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 09:01:03 am »
How did you go so long without saying 77 and 8D8D8D8D

Offline Searcher_FF

• Shaman
    • View Profile