April 24, 2024, 07:45:28 am

Author Topic: [Interview]WANted: Solo Converts  (Read 3743 times)

Offline FML|Mage

• FML Bets Season 1 Winner
  • Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: practice_mage
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Night Elf
[Interview]WANted: Solo Converts
« on: August 08, 2013, 05:35:12 pm »
FML|Mage: Hey what's up everyone, this is Mage and today I have Wan as my victim.
FML|Mage: Tell us a little bit about yourself and how you got into WC3
Wan: Hi guys, my name is Domenic also known as Wan and currently im playing for the team "Pure OwNu" along with EnTe, Longwalk, feRfe and many other good players.

I started with WC3 for the first time around 2005-2006 ~ when my cousin gave me the Original Warcraft 3 Classic Box. Back then i was 13-14 years old and started with Funmaps such as Footy and some random 2v2s in Battle.Net. A few years later, somewhere around late 2006, i started to spend a lot of time in 1v1 and met my mate EnTe here for the first time.
FML|Mage: Cool, so you're certainly well known in the solo world.  When did you start to play this competitively?  And have you ever seen Warcraft as something that could be a job for you, or has it always been something you do for fun?
Wan: It's really hard to say for someone like me (i'd rather consider myself as a semi professional player) when i joined the "competetive scene". I guess my first real step into the competetive scene was when i joined WICKED along with Vortix, EricM, Targa and Lucifron around 2008. In WICKED i had my very first professional teammates and my own Salary plus we played in Leagues such as WC3L, NGL and WCIP which used to be the best Leagues during this time.
I always tried to get into the competetive scene for a long time and tried to improve so more people would get to know me, sadly an old friend brought me over to WoW when i lacked of motivation for WC3.
FML|Mage: Thus proving that WoW is the root of all evil.  When did you come back to Warcraft 3?
Wan: Yea WoW is definitly the root of all evil.. all the money i spend into this game instead of earning! =D
In April 2012 i made my comeback so i had a "long" break of WC3 but it took me like a few Weeks to learn all the new "Stuff" which all these Chinese players nowadays invented for the undead race specifically in Solo matches
FML|Mage: Speaking of Undead, has that always been your main race?
Wan: Yea, i never really had an offrace or any other race before Undead. I started with Undead and i will stop with Undead
FML|Mage: Nice, I can appreciate some loyalty!
FML|Mage: Now as interesting as solo is, let's get to FFA.  What most people are reading this for.
FML|Mage: How'd you get involved with FML, and when did you start playing FFA?
Wan: Im definitly one of the new Faces in the current Season and i really like to have that kind of "role". I've been following the FML League for a while but i never really thought about joining the league at the same time.
My first contact to the FML League was when DUCK had his GrandFinal Match and dropped out (i remember he raged hard in our Teamchat).

Speaking of FML, i cant really remember when i had my first touch with FFA to be honest. I guess it was somewhere around 2008 when i was about to leave the professional scene. Beside World of Warcraft i still played WC3 but only FFA and we all know that playing FFA on Battle.net is horrible. I remember that i won most of my games due to micro but u cant really compare these games to FML League Games since Diplomatics, Strategy and many other Stuff has never been involved in BNet FFA.
FML|Mage: That's very true.  I remember that you had a bit of a rough introduction into FML.  A player who won't be named raged pretty hard at you and said you were a mindless solo robot.  Despite that though you stuck with it and have dramatically improved.
FML|Mage: Did that incident, and other incidents like it, have any effect on you?  And do you have any words of advise to solo players looking to make the transition?
Wan: The reason why i changed my whole playstyle in FFA is quite simple to explain. I experienced that a lot of People like to whine in FFA when i joined the Scene and sometimes like to "Team" the guy with the bigger name.
I noticed that my former Playstyle (Micro much, being agressive and ruthless in the early game) doesnt fit to the FML League since everyone started to team me.
This might sound cocky and i know that my micro might be one of the best compared to all the other players but when u join this League, then Micro is principal not the best key to win FFA's and thats why i changed my Playstyle.
Manip is definitly one of the thing that everyone in this League has to learn and use (speaking of people who barely use it or are new to the league).
Manip can change game moments in favour for you if these people trust you. It brings you in a good position especially after a fight or anything else that might have been bad for you.
I remember that i tried to skip manip ingame, but i experienced a lot of game moments during my league games where i lost to manip (i remember i could have finished Maga in my first official league game but since i was new to the league and had no idea about manip, i later on lost to him).

Solo Players who join this league have to get rid of being too cocky / too arrogant. If you wanna improve, watch people like seksi, yane, dfm, maga and lightweight replays for example. These players will help you to improve your FFA Sense
FML|Mage: That's great.  I think that those are wise words, and new solo players would do well to heed them.  Since you've come in with an outside perspective, what are some things that you would like to see improved within the structure of the league, or do you think that it's pretty fine tuned as it is now?
Wan: I dont think that FML needs any improvement right now. You guys care more about this League than blizzard has done for wc3 the last years.
FML|Mage: Haha thanks, we appreciate that.  And we appreciate all that you do to help promote us.  Is there anything else you want to say before we wrap up?  I do want to get to word associations since we missed that at the start, but we'll cover anything else you'd like to first
Wan: Yea i'd like to thank you, pinball and all the other guys who take care of this league.
This League is alternative the best thing for Solo Players like me. If i wanna get rid of Solo for a few days, then i can join the FFA Scene or like in a few days, participate in the semi finals! =D
FML|Mage: It is pretty impressive that you've made the semi-finals in your first season, congrats on that!  Okay, are you ready for some word association?
Wan: Sure
FML|Mage: Warcraft
Wan: Best RTS Game
FML|Mage: Germany
Wan: WM 2016 Champion
FML|Mage: United States
Wan: Awesome Country which i havent seen yet :(
FML|Mage: Orc
Wan: 404! DK not found!
FML|Mage: =D Necromancers
Wan: Useless
FML|Mage: Beer
Wan: Potbelly
FML|Mage: Boobs
Wan: Thank God for these 2 awesome creation
FML|Mage: Worpex
Wan: Hates Solo Rushing UD Robots
FML|Mage: Renaud
Wan: Skips Archmage first
FML|Mage: Alright, that's a wrap then.  Any shoutouts before I let you go?
Wan: Yea Shoutout to EnTe who id like to see in the next FML Season, to Duck who has high hopes for me for the current Season, shoutout to the FML Team who does a great job, to my awesome Team and last but not least to everyone who reads this interview! I had a lot of fun during this Interview and i really enjoy representing this League at twitch.tv/whiteandnerdyyy !
FML|Mage: Cool, nice plug and thanks for taking the time to be interviewed!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 05:36:54 pm by FML|Mage »
Hi

Offline Lightweight

• Tauren
  • To protect the sheep you gotta catch the wolf.
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Lightweight
  • Race: Human
Re: [Interview]WANted: Solo Converts
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 05:45:46 pm »
I liked it, especially that Wan mixed up the years with the football world cup. Its not 2016 its 2014  :icon_mad:

Offline Pinballmap

• FML Contributor
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Replay Master
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Pinballmap
  • Race: Orc
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 05:47:36 pm »
Pretty good interview mage! And lol i thought the same like LW. 2014 WM and 2016 EM ;)

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: WorpeX
  • Race: Undead
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 05:47:57 pm »
Great interview! I never knew much about WaN before now and its great to finally get some background on him. Undead players ftw!!

FML|Mage: Worpex
Wan: Hates Solo Rushing UD Robots

Hey! That wasn't me who said that! lol I have no idea who it was. Sounds like a SteppinRazor quote to me.

Edit: rYm- called you a Solo rushing nerd in Qualifier Round 1 (same game that you were in with me).  Thats the only time I remember anyone complaining about you rushing people... also the only game I remember being in with you.  :icon_confused:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 05:54:11 pm by FML|WorpeX »

Offline humans7ar

• Tauren
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: humans7ar
  • Race: Human
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 06:12:42 pm »
great interview

Ugri2

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 06:13:26 pm »
Wan #1

(dont kill me)

Offline FML|Mage

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 10:16:19 am »
War3TV just conducted an interview with Wan.  It can be found here

<3 Wan for the shoutout!
Hi

Offline Searcher_FF

• Shaman
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Searcher_FF
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 10:40:05 am »
Not sure why to interview WAN, he could interview any of other novadays players, who are considered good but never won some serious tournaments.

Offline Ugrilainen

• Administrator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
    • Ugri on twitter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 01:03:24 pm »
Another guy has been interviewed by war3tv bu is not mentionned on this site ;)

Offline FML|Mage

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 01:46:19 pm »
Another guy has been interviewed by war3tv bu is not mentionned on this site ;)

Well this mysterious other guy didn't mention FML at all in his interview ;)

I mostly just posted a blip because I already had an interview of Wan here and didn't think it deserved a separate thread.

For those that don't know what I'm talking about Ugri was interviewed by War3TV as well and it can be found here
Hi

Offline Ugrilainen

• Administrator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
    • Ugri on twitter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 03:02:50 pm »
Well he did not because he was not questionned about it I suppose...
Wan just said ty to the ffamasters crew in his so well : "ty ffamasters crew!" :)