May 02, 2024, 01:14:17 am

Author Topic: FML's Race to the Top  (Read 2995 times)

Offline FML|Mage

• FML Bets Season 1 Winner
  • Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: practice_mage
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Night Elf
FML's Race to the Top
« on: August 18, 2014, 05:32:36 pm »
:FMLN:

Update: Please read the posted update in first comment.  This is competition is cancelled.

With the elimination of 8 more great players from FML, we've noticed that there are a lot of active players in the community, who unfortunately are unable to compete in the remainder of this season.  It's for that reason that we thought we would try and spice things up a bit more.  :United_Kingdom: Hayder & :Ukraine: Searcher_FF have generously allowed us to use the PlayFFA bot ladder for a little sub-competition within the FFA community. 

For those of you that played the Battle.net invitation seasons in solo this will seem very familiar.  All players will be given  weeks to play as many games as they can, and to win as many games as they can.  The twist, all players must be starting on a new account, and must post that they are playing on it in the thread here.  All accounts must have the FML tag attached to it as well, to establish that players are using it for the competition, and this is not a previous account that they had.  Example, I would create an FML-Mage account.  Seksi would do FML-Seksi, Hayder would do FML-Hayder etc. It could also be along the lines of Mage-FML, Mage[FML], FMLMAGE, etc.  The purpose is merely to ensure we don't have secret smurfs. 

The competition will only last 2 weeks since we do not want this to interfere with your regular laddering on the PlayFFA ladder.  At the end of the 2 weeks (23:59 EST on Sunday, August 31st) the top 4 players will be give their own topic to schedule a match amongst themselves.  The person has first place after the 2 weeks are up will be allowed to choose the map. 

Updates on where the ladder stands will be provided every other day, with a list of all players who are competing and their rank.  Players must post their account name into the thread within 24 hours of playing the first game on their account, or else they will be disbarred.

The prize for winning the competition will be $50 USD payable via Paypal (if you can't use Paypal talk with Mage, we'll figure something out), as well as a guaranteed spot in Season 20 of the FFA Masters League!  Best of luck and happy laddering!

Again, you can sign up here!

http://ffamasters.net/index.php?topic=1809
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 08:51:42 pm by FML|Mage »
Hi

Offline FML|Mage

• FML Bets Season 1 Winner
  • Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: practice_mage
Re: FML's Race to the Top
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 08:50:55 pm »
Update: Please Read

This idea is cancelled.  I had consulted Searcher and Hayder on the idea and they were fine with it, however I did not consult Ugri since I did not think he had time for FFA at the moment with the move and he had left it in the capable hands of Hayder and Searcher.  However he does not approve of the idea, and as such I feel it only right we not continue with it since PlayFFA is his brain child and I would never do anything he construed as harmful to it.  No disrespect was meant to him or any of the PlayFFA staff, and I apologize if it came off that way.

His response to the idea was posted on PlayFFA and can be found here.  I do not want to turn this into some type of PlayFFA vs FML rivalry, just the opposite. As I said before, I apologize if this came off as disrespectful in any way, and we will think of some other type of competition to have now that we only have 12 players left in Season 19.  Full post found below for those too lazy to follow the link.

Quote from: Ugri
I do not agree with this idea I was not informed about at all.

Many players, already two in the top 10, will stop laddering to play on a "FML" tagged account completely decreasing any interest on the ladder.

I am all in favor of collaboration and partnership but not at all cost.

There is a feeling as well quite strange that FML would know I would be totally up against this idea, so it was submitted when i was inactive.

Anything I could say or not say would make me looks bad. Anyway I am used to it and used to protect the independancy of the gaming project that is playFFA.

It is not meant to have a ladder within the ladder for others to operate on. If it is about having 50$ for winning a ladder, i'd rather give 50 bucks to the next season winner.

If it was not clear before, I cannot run anything on an everyday basis but important projects or idea, I would like to know about them. Like Worpex in FML perhaps.

Posting something or nothing about this topic, I wondered what I should do. Anyway I am not dead, or gone.

Cheers

Ugri
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 09:22:18 pm by FML|Mage »
Hi

Offline FML|Mog

• Global Moderator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Mog[skynet]
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 09:15:39 pm »
Interesting. If anything I thought this would increase activity at playffa and on the ladder, and since it is only a 2 week period the top of the ladder may not even change much. I don't think you need to apologize so much, it seems pretty clear (to me at least) that this was an idea to collaborate FML and play FFA in order to increase activity in both places and grow as a FFA community. However, I know playffa is ugri's project, and as such he has the right to manage it as he desires. I don't mean any disrespect to him in this post, just wanted to say how this appeared to an average playffa player/also FML player. Hopefully there will be positive collaboration in the FFA community in the future through other agreed upon events.

Offline ashalar

• Shaman
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: ashalar
  • Race: Orc
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 09:57:51 pm »
a few players smurfing on the ladder for 2 weeks will ruin everything obviously

Offline Ugrilainen

• Administrator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
    • Ugri on twitter
  • Race: Undead
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 04:17:32 am »
I agree with you Mog, I do not need to be apologized to and did not ask for it anyway.

You are not the "average ffa player" by the way, you are FML season winner and FML official co-caster.

We collaborated plenty, promoting everything FML do all the time : mage's shoutcasts, persuade's events, fml seasons registration etc... This is different and I explained why. This could be done in a satisfactory manner and I explained how as well.

Honestly this would not have bring more players, just forced regular fml players to play even more on the ladder.

There still would be dramas with result errors that we would have at playffa to fix and referee. Since money would be involved, I can only imagine the mess. On a regular fml ladder, seksi accused brainman of cheating having people suicide him. Any sort of such complains would happen even worse on a short term money rewarded ladder.

Offline MattiasG

• Shaman
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: MattiasG
  • Race: Random
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 06:34:53 am »
Well I don't really get it, but that doesn't matter. It's Ugri's project and we must respect that, no hard feelings whatsoever.

And mage, don't be too nice, I don't feel it's necessary to apologise this hard (As Ugri said himself)

Now, hand me over my 50 bucks damnit!

Oh, and the thingy Searcher said on playffa is a great idea, I quote:

At least we can make show match in the end fo season, like top 1-2 ladder + top 1-2 FML finals for show game.
Or even top 4 + top 4 for 8-way. If someone will be in both tops we can just take top 5-6 etc.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 06:37:21 am by MattiasG »

Offline Meeds

• FML Bets Season 2 Winner
  • Tauren
    • View Profile
    • GProxy++
  • B.net Account: Meeds.
  • Coins: 20
  • Race: Human
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 08:18:23 am »
I actually kind of agree with Ugri,
You better should put this in place for next playFFA season, give 50 dollars to the season winner if he is FML tagged. Or make a final between the top 4 playFFA FML players

Offline FML|Renaud

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • ex King of FFA
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: FML_Renaud
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 08:54:34 am »
I actually kind of agree with Ugri,
You better should put this in place for next playFFA season, give 50 dollars to the season winner if he is FML tagged. Or make a final between the top 4 playFFA FML players

Well the main point is to give a small competition to the eliminated players to keep them active and entertained while waiting for the next season.  The show match was just a by-product of that

Players who are not already active on the ladder probably won't join since they can't hope to catch up quickly, and the players who are active do not need incentives to be active ;)

Offline Persuade

• FML Contributor
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: persuade
  • Race: Random
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 10:48:07 am »
It was to benefit playffa AND FML by giving them an influx of players

Offline rsm!

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 12:17:25 pm »
ah too bad, would have def brang me back to playing(whether that is a positive or negative), and I am sure many others too.