May 16, 2024, 06:32:33 pm

Author Topic: Hearthstone Thread  (Read 5899 times)

Offline FML|Mage

• FML Bets Season 1 Winner
  • Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: practice_mage
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Night Elf
Hearthstone Thread
« on: January 10, 2014, 09:56:56 am »
I know quite a few people have the game, and I actually just got it recently.  Figured we could make a thread listing accounts, and have general discussion.  I'll edit in accounts up top so feel free to post discussion as well sine

Battle Tags

Mage - Mage#1618
Persuade - Persuade # 1469
Onkelbob - OnkelBob#2888
Starshaped - Starshaped#2916
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 11:34:59 am by FML|Mage »
Hi

Offline FML|Mage

• FML Bets Season 1 Winner
  • Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: practice_mage
Re: Hearthstone Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 09:58:45 am »
My initial thoughts on the game are that it's addictively fun for such a simple (at heart) game, and I'm looking forward to learning more about the strategy behind it.  I've been mostly playing mage and warlock and like them both decently, but not in love with them. 

There's also quite a bit of grinding involved which I had not realized was going to be the case, but makes sense.  Looking forward to starting arena, probably tonight. 
Hi

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: WorpeX
  • Race: Undead
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 10:19:14 am »
Mage, give me beta access and ill make you your signature.

Offline Pinballmap

• FML Contributor
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Replay Master
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Pinballmap
  • Race: Orc
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 10:21:26 am »
@Mage

Can you write a little summary about the gameplay and your own impresions? Also whats the price of this game? I'd buy it if you can convince me :D

Since im a big fan of Magic the Gathering i'm a bit interested into buying this game.

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 10:43:07 am »
@Mage

Can you write a little summary about the gameplay and your own impresions? Also whats the price of this game? I'd buy it if you can convince me :D

Since im a big fan of Magic the Gathering i'm a bit interested into buying this game.

It's a free game made by Blizzard. It's in Closed Beta at the moment.

Offline Ugrilainen

• Administrator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
    • Ugri on twitter
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 12:16:52 pm »
Seksi is heavily playing that

Offline Searcher_FF

• Shaman
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Searcher_FF
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 02:01:39 pm »
Seksi is heavily playing that
thats why i hate this game, took away his stream from me :(

Offline Persuade

• FML Contributor
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: persuade
  • Race: Random
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 02:15:42 pm »
The strategy is a lot different then that of MTG simply because of less consistency.  There is far more RNG involved, and it places a bigger emphasis on deck building and your curve.

Some decks/heroes literally only have 1-2 answers for certain matchups, and because you start off with such a small hand, and are limited to a maximum of 2 per card, you can outright lose/win a game VERY fast (by turn 3/4) if you just draw poorly. 

That said, it's pretty fun.  If you don't wish to buy a lot of packs, then there is quite a grind.   You get 10 gold per 3 wins, and it's 100 gold per pack/150 for arena.  It can be annoying/frustrating if you don't have many cards because it takes longer to fulfill your quests (daily gold).

Arena is basically all I do because constructed can be quite boring.  Arena is similar to draft in MTG.  You pick from a pool of 3 cards, 30 times. You are allowed more than 2 copies of a card, allowing for more variety.  Granted there is a lot of luck involved too, since your pool could just be quite bad (example is me picking shaman, and not once seeing lightning storm (their only mass removal)).

It's a pretty simple game, not too complex, and the games can be over very quickly.  If you enjoy MTG I'd suggest you give it a try. 

My account is Persuade # 1469 if anyone wants to play

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 02:39:17 pm »
The strategy is a lot different then that of MTG simply because of less consistency.  There is far more RNG involved, and it places a bigger emphasis on deck building and your curve.

Some decks/heroes literally only have 1-2 answers for certain matchups, and because you start off with such a small hand, and are limited to a maximum of 2 per card, you can outright lose/win a game VERY fast (by turn 3/4) if you just draw poorly. 

That said, it's pretty fun.  If you don't wish to buy a lot of packs, then there is quite a grind.   You get 10 gold per 3 wins, and it's 100 gold per pack/150 for arena.  It can be annoying/frustrating if you don't have many cards because it takes longer to fulfill your quests (daily gold).

Arena is basically all I do because constructed can be quite boring.  Arena is similar to draft in MTG.  You pick from a pool of 3 cards, 30 times. You are allowed more than 2 copies of a card, allowing for more variety.  Granted there is a lot of luck involved too, since your pool could just be quite bad (example is me picking shaman, and not once seeing lightning storm (their only mass removal)).

It's a pretty simple game, not too complex, and the games can be over very quickly.  If you enjoy MTG I'd suggest you give it a try. 

My account is Persuade # 1469 if anyone wants to play

Shut up and give me beta access

Offline Persuade

• FML Contributor
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: persuade
  • Race: Random
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 02:54:45 pm »
I had a website that was giving out keys, but it's long gone =/

Offline onkelbob

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 05:01:20 pm »
Hey guys, I'm playing HS too. My ID: OnkelBob#2888 (Rank 18)

Offline hejpådigStarshaped

• Shaman
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: DkH.Starshaped
  • Race: Human
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 05:17:17 am »
I've been playing it quite a bit recently. At best I was rank 4 before the reset. It's kind of frustrating to play constructed at the higher levels if you lack legendaries, as I do. So many games I'm thinking "OK, he simply has better cards and wins because of that." So I try to play mostly arena, and only use constructed when I'm out of gold. Eventually when arena gives me some better cards I can focus more on constructed.

It's very addicting and fun, but it takes some time to memorise all the bullshit cards out there, which can be frustrating as hell to meet for the first time, like you think you're winning hard and then 1 card fucks you up and you just have to remember what that card was and what it does for future games.

I wish there was a bit less randomness involved, but at the same time the randomness makes a lot of games stressful in a good way, and I suppose without it the game would feel more stale.

The biggest flaw with constructed, in my opinion, is the damn gimmick decks people can make. There's one-turn-kill decks which just buy time until they have all the cards they need to kill your hero in one turn. Then there's super rush decks, like Warlock murloc decks etc. All these gimmick decks take 0 skill and are incredibly boring to play against.

If you get the beta, definitely check it out. It's gonna be open beta rather soon, I believe, so you don't have to wait all that long if you don't get an invite.

Edit: Starshaped#2916 @ hearthstone
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 05:19:21 am by hejpådigStarshaped »

Offline Lightweight

• Tauren
  • To protect the sheep you gotta catch the wolf.
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Lightweight
  • Race: Human
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 08:50:17 am »
Pay for win!

Offline ashalar

• Shaman
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: ashalar
  • Race: Orc
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 11:46:58 pm »
also I believe euro/na have separate servers so not really sure which one everyone is on

Offline Wrecktify

• FML Contributor
  • Blademaster
  • Supreme Admin of FML
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: SerWrecktify
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 07:35:52 pm »
I just got to level 16 despite some gaybo playing something called "Jiraxus" against me.  WTF is with these super cards.