May 15, 2024, 04:38:23 pm

Author Topic: Armies!  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Redkeekee

• Tauren
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Redkeekee
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Night Elf
Armies!
« on: July 08, 2012, 04:13:33 am »
So, I've got a question for all the FFA enthusiasts we have around, and it's really quite simple... What are your thoughts on army composition skill requirements? (Mind you the following only comments about the most commonly used army compositions and leave out things like elf/ud ground and comps that are generally considered bad.)

I think it's quite universally accepted that Undead armies are the hardest to control, requiring much kiting and high APM play to contend with some others. 
Orc armies would certainly have to fall second requiring either precision and positioning of bat riders, micro of 3 different casters and their multiple abilities (traps, healing wards, dispel, ancestral recall, purge) focus with wyvs when applicable and then 3 heros which require timing and positioning to be most affective.
It is also quite universal that Night elf is thought to be the easiest army to control, attack move anti-air, focus with heavy air, cast 2 or 3 hero spells depending. 

However, I would actually like people to give reasons this is any different from Human army control.  Is there something I'm missing? 
Comparison:
Tank = Hippo, a-move and position.  Difference = Tanks are slower, but practically unkillable, and easily staffable (don't clump), don't require multiple 250 gold items per battle to keep them alive.
Gryph = Chim, focus. Difference = Gryph can focus air as well, allowing them to pick off heavy air with:
Bolt = Entangle, Difference = Bolt does damage, can be used on air, and disables tp/casting.
Blizzard = Haze/Bof, Difference = only need to cast one spell, and does not care which way the hero is facing when cast.
____ = Holy light.  Yeah, potm just scouts cuz theres no unlimited reveal in this race.

So legit question, am I missing something or are they equally as easy to use?  Sure seems that way.  Thanks in advance, hope to see some constructive answers!
:ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne:

Offline Slythe

• Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Slythe
  • Race: Random
Re: Armies!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 02:51:17 pm »
in a hu vs elf with classic chippo vs aa the hu has an advantage but the army control is not necessarily easier, imo .

hawks need micro especially with silence involved, gyros are tricky cuz only rly helpful in  masses and with hit and run so we have tanks, which are very slow and dealing dmg quite slowly aswell.

vs other races imo the elf army is easier to handle due to less unit.types /casters involved.

both hu and elf have their biggest weakness in positioning due to mostly slowly moving units ( lacking speed aura) , which elf can compensate a little bit with a common pure air army. although griffon/gyros are quite good aswell, but underused.

Wrecktify

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 10:33:14 pm »
OK ill bite you elf centric mongrel.  Catgrel.  Whatever.

Chims = Gryphs, better splash, better DPS, better range, dont need them as AA since dotts/hippos are efficient enough, whereas tanks are not.   Better racial symmetry (roar, trueshot.)

Hippos/DOTT > tanks.  Easier to weave in/out of combat.  Versatile.  Lower tech, dont need as many.  If you build too many you kill a few hippos since dotts are so imba. 

BOF/Haze > Blizzard - Shut up RKK

HU Heros > Elf heroes overall, but since everyone lets you hoard 75k a game youre rarely without a clouter of chims caressing the carcasses of chaos.  #SeewhatIdidtherE?

Offline Redkeekee

• Tauren
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Redkeekee
  • Race: Night Elf
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 12:36:23 am »
lolol.  Funny alliteration.  However, my point wasn't what is better or more successful, my question was what is EASIER?  Does the positioning of tanks/kiting of gryphs end up being more difficult than the kiting of hip/dott and the focus of chim?  As per slythe I agree it becomes more difficult when you add more, but sticking purely to the classic "chippo vs many tanks+gryphs" without including the hawk/gyro or abolish/cyclone additions/alterations -- Is it harder to do?  If you say the answer is yes, I'll not argue, as I've not used another races' army, even once.  Just wondering.

edit: actually I did try orc in a cg once, just ask persuade if you want to know how ungodly awful I was at it >D
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 02:07:24 am by Redkeekee »