May 04, 2024, 02:40:40 pm

Author Topic: Desperation from Blizzard Technicians  (Read 3095 times)

Lightweight!

Desperation from Blizzard Technicians
« on: July 13, 2012, 11:05:36 am »
I saw the following in the bnet forums and couldn't believe what i saw. Bashiok, the only guy from blizzard staff beeing in forums from time to time wrote this:

"We'll be performing a 6 hour maintenance on USEast/Azeroth tomorrow morning, July 11, beginning at 9:00 a.m. PDT.

During this time we'll be rolling Warcraft III clan data back to its state before the USEast migration on June 20, reinstating the wiped data. No other changes should occur with this clan data rollback, and we'll provide updates should the maintenance timetable change.
"

After some time this comment came up:

"The Warcraft III clan data rollback was unsuccessful, and we're now in the process of reinstating all data as it was when maintenance began. We estimate USEast/Azeroth to be available again in approximately two hours, at 8:30 p.m. PDT. "

Darkness wrote an interesting comments about that:

"Just stop trying, you are embarrassing yourselves more and more. Imagine if some type of similar situation happened on WoW or D3. It is quite obvious none of your technicians were around when BNet 1.0 was actually relevant. You'll never be able to fix the clans and you won't be able to fix the bugged ladder rankings currently on Azeroth.

Would've been so much better if you chose to fuck over Lordaeron instead.... *sigh* "

So, that comment from bashiok means that they are not able to repair their own mistake. Means there isn't a single technician left for wc3 with the knowledge to bring the clan data back. This Bashiok guy isn't even answering any questions. I mean at least something like this would make many users happy, although a bad news:
 "There won't be a ladder reset ever and we won't change the mappool. We are too stupid to fix the problems we created and all our technicians with bnet 1.0 knowledge are gone or work on sc2 and d3 now."

But no, not even a fair and honest answer to anything. The 4s mappool is the same since 5 years (in 2007 wc3 was dead and they couldn't change mappool???) and the solo/2s hasn't been touched for 3 years now. It is ok when there is no qualified staff member to fix things, but they could be at least honest enough to tell that in one post. Things are getting a bit ridicolous.

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: WorpeX
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Undead
Re: Desperation from Blizzard Technicians
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 11:14:51 am »
They're still trying to fix it?

Lightweight!

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 11:25:13 am »
No, they don't they failed and everything is set back to before they tried to fix this issue. Just embarrassing.

Ugri2

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 12:40:36 pm »
they obsv want wc3 to die

Wrecktify

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 02:08:51 pm »
little do they know they cant kill wc3 till they kill FML!!

:hu: :hu: :hu: :hu:

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 03:00:15 pm »
I looked at FML in a web analysis site and it told me that we're worth $47. So until blizzard pays me $47 to shut down FML, I shall never do it!

Lightweight!

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 03:29:30 pm »
I am just wondering why it is so hard to make a reset/new mappool. I mean they have the stuff they need its not like they have to creat new programs or codes. I can't imagin it is so much work, but i am not an expert ofc. It surely isn't a good sign when they are already too stupid to repair their own mistakes.

Offline hejpådigStarshaped

• Shaman
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: DkH.Starshaped
  • Race: Human
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 08:35:00 pm »
I looked at FML in a web analysis site and it told me that we're worth $47. So until blizzard pays me $47 to shut down FML, I shall never do it!

lmao

Wrecktify

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 08:42:02 pm »
I am just wondering why it is so hard to make a reset/new mappool. I mean they have the stuff they need its not like they have to creat new programs or codes. I can't imagin it is so much work, but i am not an expert ofc. It surely isn't a good sign when they are already too stupid to repair their own mistakes.

It it was designed with any sort of logic behind it, they should be able to just check and uncheck mappool maps on the bnet admin side.  The only time I imagine there should be any sort of heavy lifting is if they have to add a new map.  Hell ill take a shuffling of old maps happily!

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 09:25:00 pm »
Put me in charge and in five minutes I'd add all the standard league maps to the ladder, remove all the awful maps, reset the ladder and start a ladder season contest of some sort, and remove the outdated built-in delay for ladder.

I can't imagine it would take much effort, and it doesn't. However, it is not in the financial interest of Blizzard for WC3 to live on. They want you all to pick up SC2 or WoW or D3 or whatever, anything but playing a game that hasn't earned them any money since 2003. Granted, legacy support is what Blizzard has built itself around, but it will only ever go so far. They are, after all, still a company, and companies only care about profits.

This is why there needs to be a Teamliquid equivalent for WC3, and an ICCUP equivalent too. WC3 was (still is?) featured on ICCUP, but as far as I know it was awful for whatever reason. While the WC3 community seems reluctant to give up on Blizzard, they really need to if they want WC3 to not only live on but to grow, to stabilize into a niche e-sport, such as SC1 did, or even WC2.

I'll give it another couple of years before this happens, but I'm fairly sure it will happen eventually. FML, or the FFA community in general, is very much so an example of what I'm talking about. It's a small community, but it's self-governed and enthusiastic and everyone still around is fairly dedicated to the game everyone shares a common love for. The same thing could be said about the league scene, but it's not nearly as tightly-knit and has no real central hub (which makes sense since it's a lot bigger), which I believe it will desperately need in the future if it is to survive. Having more access to the, by contrast, booming WC3 scene in China would also help tremendously, just like SC1 has with Korea.

Small rant over!

Edit: Obviously, WC3 has Garena, but as far as I know it's a lot less used than the ladder, and is mainly used for league play. If Garena had a nice ranking system and ladder, it would be a lot more interesting
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 09:38:16 pm by hejpådigStarshaped »

Ugri2

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 09:30:31 pm »
loved this post from SS

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 10:45:56 pm »
I agree SS. The problem is that its fairly difficult to make a platform which plays wc3 in a similar way that bnet does. The community doesn't want to give up on b.net because, quite frankly, it was a phenomenal gaming service for years and nothing really can compare to it. ICCup for wc3 was god awful and there were a few other knockoffs which were equally bad. Garena is trash besides 1 redeeming feature (good ping). At the moment, Host Bots are the best way to go because it combines the quality b.net service with good ping.

What I want to know is, what do the chinese players do for ladder? Cause they sure as hell don't play on Kalimdor. Whatever it is, I really hope that it gets released to the international community.

Offline CatLikeThief

• Grunt
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: PLZLEAVEDUCK
  • Race: Random
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 10:59:57 pm »
China has their own client similar to GGC. I had to install it to practice with half of my old team being Chinese. forgot what it was called

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 11:05:46 pm »
If its anything like Garena its rubbish, disconnects you for no reason, is overly complicated to use, has no ladder system, random bugs, etc etc

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 11:55:21 pm »
Yeah, China has their own thing going (adding further to the separation of China from the rest of WC3). I'm not sure if this is still the case, but the China server was never updated to the most recent patches, which makes it difficult to watch their replays or play against them. They still play without the recent masonry nerf or dryad nerf or tank nerf etc.

I think it's called "V client" or something, and has levels/ladder etc.