May 13, 2024, 11:20:13 pm

Author Topic: S19 Press Release  (Read 2407 times)

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: WorpeX
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Undead
S19 Press Release
« on: June 20, 2014, 08:13:12 pm »
:FMLN:

S19 PRESS RELEASE

This season we are reverting back to an old format which was very popular...

ELIMINATION

In Elimination, players at the bottom of the standings are removed as the season progresses. The top players move on to the next rounds until the winner is ultimately decided. We are throwing in a curve-ball this time though...

ELIMINATION CARDS

Each player will receive 2 "cards" at the start of the season. These cards may only be used ONCE and only one per round. A player players these cards during the scheduling period of a match. The cards are as follows:

Double-Point Card: When this card is activated, activating players points for the round are DOUBLED. (Ex. If they end the match with 25pts, they get 50 instead. Ending with 5 gets you 10.)

Match Swap Card: This card allows players to switch with another player in any other match. (Ex. Match 1 is Renaud/PBM/Mage/Worpex and Match 2 is Maga/Cechi/Wan/Yaws.  Maga plays his swap card with Renaud, and is now in Match 1 while Renaud is in Match 2.)

In addition to these cards, we are implementing a new tie-breaking system.

TIE-BREAKING IN S19

This system uses a new scoring structure which is separate from the normal scoring. This scoring system is called TB (Tie-Breaker) points. Each player starts the season off with 2 TB points.  These 2 points represent the 2 cards that each player holds at the start of the season. When a card is used, the player will lose -1 TB points. Thus, holding on to cards will give you a better chance to win in the event of a tie.

Each week the admin team will define a new "Objective" in the match-ups. Winning this objective will earn you 1 TB points. These objectives can be, but are not limited to, the following:

Examples.
-The first player to earn level 6 on all 3 heroes
-The first player to kill 5 opposing heroes

This system will be used in the event of a tie during the season. This includes breaking ties in the map voting. In the event that the TB system does not break the tie, our standard system will be put into place. Heads-up winner and then Strength of schedule.

Tie-breaking example

If 3 players are tied in the standings at 40pts:

Magadansky: 40 - 4 TB pts
Renaud: 40 - 1 TB pts
WorpeX: 40 - 2 TB pts

In this example, Renaud used one of his cards and earned no other TB points during the season. WorpeX didn't use a single card and still has 2 TB points. Maga on the other hand also didn't use any cards but has 2 TB points for completing weekly objective. Thus, Maga will advance into the next stage of the tournament.

MAP VOTING IN S19

A democratic system will be implemented this season for map voting. The Admins will give an option of 2 possible maps for each round and a 3rd "Secret" map. Each match will have their own separate voting for which map they will use in the round.

Example
A) Deadlock
B) Silverpine Forest
C) *Secret* (=>Mur'gul Oasis)

Map voting will only be active for 48hours after the match-ups have been posted. At that point, the *Secret* map is revealed and the winning map for each match-up is chosen. In the event of a tie, the TB system will be used:

Example

Maga: Want Deadlock 4TB
WorpeX: Wants Deadlock 2TB
Renaud: Wants Silverpine 1TB
Persuade: Wants Silverpine 3TB

Maga/WorpeX: 6TB
Renaud/Suade: 4TB
Deadlock Wins

In the event that the map vote is still tied, map A is always chosen regardless of which maps are tied.

---

I hope this is a good outline for the system and gets people to understand how S19 will work! If there are any questions please ask them in the comments on this thread!

Good luck to all and hope you're all as excited for S19 as we are!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 07:15:49 am by FML|WorpeX »

Offline FML|Renaud

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • ex King of FFA
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: FML_Renaud
  • Race: Night Elf
Re: S19 Press Release
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 11:21:39 pm »
TL DR;
Win your games and everything will be just fine :)
Also, no way in hell will I'll be able to do a freaking 'you need X+ points to make it'... these rules makes it very hard to figure when you should play for 3rd :P

Offline FML|red7z7

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: red7z7
  • Coins: 284
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 03:53:59 am »
I really like the idea of elimination cards, and how there is incentive to not use them as well. The tie breaking points seem like a fine idea, but I'm skeptical of awarding TB points for specific objectives. It seems like that could lead to people playing for 3rd as it guarantees them 10 points with the possible added benefit of one or more TB points. I guess we will see how it plays out.

I'm also curious to see if the TB points end up being significant for tie-breaking when it comes to map-voting, or if there will still be ties between votes as well as TB points.

And a question: How does the elimination system work exactly? Are people eliminated after the very first round? That would be quite unforgiving. Either way the elimination system seems exciting, and it puts a lot on the line every single round. Good stuff guys.

DV-

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 05:03:46 am »
Some russian ppl will have troubles with understanding of new rules haha  :icon_mad:

Offline FML|Mage

• FML Bets Season 1 Winner
  • Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: practice_mage
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 08:07:57 am »
If we have someone who would be willing to translate it into Russian we'd love it!
Hi

Offline FML|Mage

• FML Bets Season 1 Winner
  • Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: practice_mage
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 09:03:29 am »
I really like the idea of elimination cards, and how there is incentive to not use them as well. The tie breaking points seem like a fine idea, but I'm skeptical of awarding TB points for specific objectives. It seems like that could lead to people playing for 3rd as it guarantees them 10 points with the possible added benefit of one or more TB points. I guess we will see how it plays out.

I'm also curious to see if the TB points end up being significant for tie-breaking when it comes to map-voting, or if there will still be ties between votes as well as TB points.

And a question: How does the elimination system work exactly? Are people eliminated after the very first round? That would be quite unforgiving. Either way the elimination system seems exciting, and it puts a lot on the line every single round. Good stuff guys.

It'll depend on the number of applications. But essentially every two rounds a certain % of players are eliminated, those that are at the bottom of the stats of course. Monday morning I'll do a more detailed write  up since we'll know the number of applicants
Hi

Offline FML|Mog

• Global Moderator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Mog[skynet]
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 12:15:49 am »
Do the cards have to be made public when you are using them? For example, if I use my 2x points card, does everyone in my game know it? Because that is almost like a disadvantage since everyone will (more than likely) want you out of the game fast so you don't get many points. But if they don't know you are using it, the game will play out normally.

Obviously the other card people will know you used it lol

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 09:07:22 am »
Do the cards have to be made public when you are using them? For example, if I use my 2x points card, does everyone in my game know it? Because that is almost like a disadvantage since everyone will (more than likely) want you out of the game fast so you don't get many points. But if they don't know you are using it, the game will play out normally.

Obviously the other card people will know you used it lol

Yes people will know you used the 2x card. Use it wisely! It can definitely be a disadvantage but its bit of a trade-off for a potential of getting a huge scoring game.

Offline SteppinRazor

• Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: SteppinRazor
  • Race: Random
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 12:25:21 pm »
Seems like a great new idea, I expect some confusion with the card usage at first but I think it will add a lot of benefit to the league!  Gonna save my cards to not be matched with scary players like LudiX lol

Offline Seksi

• FML Contributor
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: sEksi
  • Race: Random
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 01:26:19 pm »
The cards are a cool idea but you might run into some problems.  Scheduling can be troublesome at times, players swapping out with other players will make it that much more difficult. 

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 01:37:37 pm »
We will put a time-frame on usage for the map-swap card. Also, I noticed that it wasn't specific in the post, but it should be: You can only use each card once.

Offline FML|Mog

• Global Moderator
  • Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Mog[skynet]
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 03:06:50 pm »
Can you use both cards on the same round?

And if you swap into a match with your sub card can someone else swap you out or into that same match?