May 09, 2024, 05:22:24 pm

Poll

S13 format:

Conference Mode (S12)
Swiss 4 Rounds (S10)
Conference Swiss
FML A / B (S1-8)
Other (Discuss)

Author Topic: S13 Public Discussion  (Read 13193 times)

Offline ins

• Grunt
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: i-never-smile
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Night Elf
Re: S13 Public Discussion
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 05:20:58 am »
Map choice isn't going to stop standstills from occurring.  You can have the smallest map in the universe, and smart players are always going to examine their situation and debate whether or not it's a wise choice to engage.

The problem with long games isn't typically the length itself; it's the standstills.  But there isn't really a way to stop those from happening with rules or map changes; it's up to players in the game to decide how much fighting they are willing to do.

Offline Slythe

• Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Slythe
  • Race: Random
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 06:33:31 am »
i voted for conference swiss, since it combines two of the previous successfully used modes.

Also woulda like a classic fml a/ fml b style.

Better scheduling in conference-mode is a nice thing, still we had some games being pretty slow scheduled.

For the quality of games there is no, imo, no garuantee with any modes/maps/players.

Also it is different sometimes, from how the players or the observers felt, that it was a good/enjoyable game.

Would be nice to have some special games /tournaments/ playedates to get the ppl on bnet/ggc for some more games , not just for the 'official' fml games.

SteppinRazor

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 08:05:39 am »
I actually remember the FML A/B style from years ago (I have visited and been DL'ing games from ffareps for years, though never really started posting until like a year ago).  Anyways, I think it would be a good system to bring back because it would allow for the middle tier players to play more "equal" games were its not "team maga or no chance" for players like me.  Don't know how it would work, though maybe there could be some sort of preliminary round in which all players would be given two chances to get into FML A (sorta like the two qualifier rounds in S11), and then the rest of the players would be placed in FML B. 

Just my two cents

Offline FML|Renaud

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • ex King of FFA
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: FML_Renaud
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 08:18:12 am »
I like having a player go straight to the final, because ffa has a cetain level of luck involved in game, so it would suck for a player to win 4 game during the season, and then get unlucky during the semi.  (Unlucky can be anything from having a bad day to being suicided by some jerk)

Considering the goal of 16 player per conference, we could have 3 round with no/almost no player meeting twice, and the 4th round should be mixed (this reduced the amount of "I MUST RUSH PLAYER X IN ORDER TO BE IN THE FINAL!" (although I did not remove the "I need a 3rd to make the finals, lets rush someone randomly")

For the map pool, I suppose we will remove 3 map and have a vote to get 3 new map?  (I think we can stop remove harvest every season, only to get it voted back in again)

But now that I think about it, I agree with steppin that FML A/B would be interesting, because it would probably raise the quality of FML A game (no need to worry about someone getting imba while toming a lower tier player) and would give all those "lower-tier" player a chance to get better while not desperately trying to survive

Change my vote to AB!

Edit: For the map up for ellimination, I would say Savage Storm, Crucible, and (Gold Rush or Market?)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 08:20:03 am by FML|King.Renaud »

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: WorpeX
  • Race: Undead
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 08:45:34 am »
I have the poll unlocked so people can change their own vote, renaud. Just click on remove vote and then vote again.

For the A/B idea, I like the idea of having some sort of a play-in (?) round to determine who gets into FML A/B. Of course we'd still have people who auto-qualify (finalists from S12, def).

For the maps, I wont disagree with keeping Harvest in. :D I agree with renaud on the maps up for elimination.

Offline Q-veta

• Tauren
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Jewish.Banker
  • Race: Human
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 08:59:29 am »
I think you guys are missing the most important thing here: you should add back private chat.

Offline ATiBright

• Shaman
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: ATi.Bright
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2012, 09:37:54 am »
I don't like the idea of AB and here is why:
Great players still lose FFA games, having qualifiers for a FFA league is 1 of the dumbest ideas.  For example here are the people who failed to qualify for FML A during season 7:  Snamuh, HTRT, DasEland, Battle.Suck, Bobas, Crow.  That's 2 champions, the 2nd best Orc to ever play FFA, and 3 players who were always pretty damned solid ffa players and better still then most people who play in this league today.

FFA already has a luck factor in every single game which makes it fun, but you turn that luck factor into a qualifier match as well and suddenly 1 surrounded spawn makes you miss playing in the "real" league. 

Reason 3 and this is probably the most important reason of all.  Activity in FML B.  A lot of players get discouraged especially in FML B once they have no chance of making the semi's and after 2 straight losses decide just not to show up for the games, they already know their league isn't as important and that they have very slim if any chance to move on.

Lightweight!

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2012, 11:24:20 am »
Why are you guys voting for conference? This season was by far the worst one of the last 3. We had boring games, every 2nd game was a 3 hour 3 way gayness.

Back to Season 10 mode, 1 week to schedule and qualifiers for all the rookies. Thin out player amount. I am not interested anymore to match guys that played 20 ffa's in their live and think they know everything. Give the elite of ffa (top16 this season) a better chance for good games. FML A and B is a bad idea, because it tells people that all who are in B must be worse than people in A as Louis tried to say and ofc Louis is a little bit historically affected so its not neutral as it should be.

Still waiting for EBO to come back from his "i lost semi-finals and cry in my pillow until the pain goes away hole". Probably he destroyed his CPU after the game. He will be back for sure.

CHANGE SOMETHING. NOBODY WANTS A SEASON LIKE THIS ONE AGAIN  :icon_evil:.

It would be actually enough if you let me choose the map-pool for the whole upcoming season. WOuld be enough change to have fun again and not play SIlverpine and Harvest over and over again.

Offline Q-veta

• Tauren
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2012, 11:31:13 am »
I thought this season was great. You still sound bitter about losing your semi.

Offline ATiBright

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2012, 11:36:03 am »
I'm all for changes but as for FML A and B no thanks.  Change up the map pool for starters, give us another smallish map like that Rose map or whatever 4 player where everyone says "clockwise or counter clockwise" at the start of the game, then renaud expo's the wrong fucking direction and everyone starts going crazy!  Lets fucking throw down on hurricane isles, sure it might make for long games but you are required to play a completely different style on hurricane then any other ffa map and I fucking love that aspect of it.  I know 1 season we did wetlands and all us ffa players had to develop a strategy with only 2 goldmines.  That kind of thing adds fun and makes people use their brain more then zombie esk going to do same build every single game silverpine, twilight, market, get spawn luck, get surrounded.  4 player maps are the most balanced maps for FFA and gives bonuses to players with good micro and good knowledge instead this entire season was filled with maps that position luck has just as much meaning as both.

Offline FML|Renaud

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • ex King of FFA
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: FML_Renaud
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2012, 11:48:27 am »
Snamuh, HTRT, DasEland, Battle.Suck, Bobas, Crow.

I think 2-3 of them where in FML B because they where too late for FML A.  And snamuh was a has been at this point (he was still good, but no where near how good he once was)
But you do have a point about activity being even worst in FML B :/

Why are you guys voting for conference? This season was by far the worst one of the last 3. We had boring games, every 2nd game was a 3 hour 3 way gayness.

How does this have anything to do with conference? O_o
Player gets lamer when they are against ppl of their hemisphere?

Still waiting for EBO to come back from his "i lost semi-finals and cry in my pillow until the pain goes away hole". Probably he destroyed his CPU after the game. He will be back for sure.

You misspelled Lightweight!, only good letter was the 'E', and it was at the wrong spot!

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: WorpeX
  • Race: Undead
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 11:57:06 am »
We went Savage Storm last season. Not like we dont' change things up and put unique maps in. Deathrose was in S10 and S11, we got sick of it for S12.

Offline ATiBright

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2012, 12:02:46 pm »
Snamuh, HTRT, DasEland, Battle.Suck, Bobas, Crow.

I think 2-3 of them where in FML B because they where too late for FML A.  And snamuh was a has been at this point (he was still good, but no where near how good he once was)
But you do have a point about activity being even worst in FML B :/

I believe there were 2 chances to qualify for FML A that season and both me and HTRT only got to play in 1 qualifier game each as substitutes for no shows therefore we were FML B.  But yes neither of us registered that season and were late to FML A

Offline Q-veta

• Tauren
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2012, 12:29:30 pm »
We went Savage Storm last season. Not like we dont' change things up and put unique maps in. Deathrose was in S10 and S11, we got sick of it for S12.
No, persuade went Savage Storm last season. Seriously if it's 4 rounds again pick 2 maps that are popular (Harvest, Twilight Ruins, Market Square, Silverpine etc) and 2 that people haven't played in a while (last season we had Crucible and that round was great fun, this season do something like Rock Quarry and Feralas or something). Really besides private chat this is the only problem I have with the league is that the maps are the same time and time again. And I know you do change maps from time to time but it's still maps that are played on battle.net. I feel the 2 popular maps/2 quirky maps would be awesome.

Think about it!

Offline FML|Mage

• FML Bets Season 1 Winner
  • Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: practice_mage
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2012, 12:30:53 pm »
It's too bad that the mapmaking contest never took off.  While the maps might not have been ready for S13, it would be a great way to create a new map/s for S14.
Hi