May 14, 2024, 09:37:57 am

Author Topic: What I learned from playing only Orc for a few weeks.  (Read 6725 times)

Offline Dovekie

• Shaman
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Dovekie
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Night Elf
Re: What I learned from playing only Orc for a few weeks.
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2016, 02:20:06 am »
I am not really conservative, I'm just opposed to implementing rules that change the game in shitty ways. Anonymous just sucks ass. I can see why it's required for bot to avoid having trolls, pre-teamers and hackers (unless their hacks also reveal names) ruin the games for legit players trying to climb the ladder every single game, but for FML? Fuck no. I don't care if there is indeed a slight correlation between being unknown and being underestimated. Playing against anonymous 1, 2 and 3 simply isn't fun.
Also, timers would suck too. If games are decided by score, you might say that players will be incentivized to fight, but they might as well be incentivized to hoard for the first 1 hour and 45 minutes (assuming a 2h timer) and build huge bases with 100 towers so they can't get eliminated.
Also, imagine if a game went to a really close 3 way or 1v1 like in that game where Maga had one destroyer left and there was one farm left or something. Wouldn't it suck ASS if such a game was decided by a timer instead of the moves by the players?

Lastly, I do agree that many games are boring and needlessly long. This is a mentality problem, not something you simply rule yourself out of.

I used to be really opposed to anonymity too, like really opposed, but now I think otherwise.

Close games like that would probably happen more often with timers than without (maybe a little too often), so I really doubt that would be an issue.  I don't think it is a mentality problem, the way Warcraft 3 is designed, you gain much more advantage by sitting around at a certain point than you do by attacking, usually once you already have high enough heroes for your respective race and could use more gold.  I.e. attacking people once you already have 7/6/6 heroes gives you relatively nothing. You get much less gold, getting your heroes to 8/7/7 is a small percentage increase, and you also raise your likelyhood of getting teamed. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 04:38:52 am by Dovekie »

Offline noexxx

• FML Contributor
  • Tauren
    • View Profile
  • Coins: 55
  • Race: Random
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2016, 02:47:50 am »
I think eshan could have 75% easily if he was trying and wanted to. Then it's just my opinion but about 50% or more of fml player could have 75% on bot

Offline plush.

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2016, 08:05:13 am »
When the bot was new(ish), I almost won 75% of my bot games with NE after not having played for years. I think I was around 70-35 when I stopped while being ~25-18 with Orc and ~45-17 with NE. Back then Seksi was like 70-10 with doing mostly greedy DR/archer openings and Renaud was ~60-12 with generally playing fast low upkeep with griff/tank. Most FML players should win more often than not just by being able to understand what can and should be done when left alone early on. The problem we generally seemed to have (and probably still have) was managing any kind of chaos that was different from what regularly happened in a 4-man FFA. I was a huge example of this.

I switched to NE because I had no answer for mid-game pressure when playing Orc like I always had in ladder FFA and FML. (IMO to play Orc in bot games and win as often as the other races, Orc players need lots of solo experience playing windwalk BM and using raiders/spirit walkers for rushing/rushes. All my solo experience as Orc was from before BM and spirit-link were discovered. I won my solo games with speed scrolling into bases and chainwaving workers and/or tower rushing. Funny fact: there's still an "advanced" strategy section for Orc on BNet with pics of me attempting a tower rush in the finals of one of the BNet solo tourneys: http://classic.battle.net/war3/orc/advanced.shtml). With NE, I actually had experience with doing what NE needs to do for winning in the mid-game, like playing bears, doing T2 archer/dott/merc pushes, and doing cheeky things with staff of tele/preservation on DH/PB.

tl;dr: I think most FML players can win 75% of their bot games provided they don't try to do it with Orc and they learn an early/mid-game strat for the games that require it.

Offline Dovekie

• Shaman
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Dovekie
  • Race: Night Elf
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2016, 10:23:14 am »
Maybe that was persuade that was 60-12, not renaud.

Offline plush.

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2016, 01:16:56 pm »
They could've both had high winning %. I imagine I remember Seksi and Renaud specifically because Seksi had the highest winning percentage of anyone at the time and Renaud was one of the guys I played A LOT back in the day. Renaud was probably the single most improved player from '07-'08. It was cool to see he had stuck with the game type and just kept getting better.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 02:42:36 pm by plush. »

Offline Peregrine

• Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Peregrine
  • Coins: 168
  • Race: Random
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2016, 04:04:31 pm »
Dove - youre right about what u said about those being WC3 rules, but FFA does have its rules as well - finish your opponents buildings, and FML adds no PM and no preteam no hacking etc

I would actually be down with anon FML, atleast as an experiment, but nobody knows how to implement it correctly.

I could deff get 75% but we will never know because I have no time to play 100 games, i play maybe 1 game a week these days, but ill get back into it when the new season is announced

Offline Lightweight

• Tauren
  • To protect the sheep you gotta catch the wolf.
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Lightweight
  • Race: Human
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2016, 07:13:27 am »
What you learn from playing only orc is that Blademaster is a good hero!