May 16, 2024, 04:14:33 pm

Author Topic: FML Mapmaking  (Read 1537 times)

Offline FML|Mage

• FML Bets Season 1 Winner
  • Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: practice_mage
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Night Elf
FML Mapmaking
« on: May 01, 2013, 12:04:27 pm »
Ok, so I'll actually keep this post relatively short, something I'm guessing that most of you think is impossible.  What I'm looking to do is add a dropdown panel on maps that can be used by observers to view how much gold, wood, food, heroes, etc all the players have.  I think this would be incredibly helpful for obs, and would be even more helpful for me streaming.

I know that a lot of the old league maps have it, and Doodads maps def do.  For those who don't know what I'm talking about think of the Dota panel that has all the different information, but it would be for the standard wc3 game.

I have no idea how to do this, does anyone?  And would anyone be willing to help us out with crafting the maps to include it?

Thanks Guys!

~Mage
Hi

Ugri2

Re: FML Mapmaking
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 12:51:06 pm »
kinda dangerous? Anyone on stream could actually provide an exact gold count to any player in game...

Offline FML|Mage

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 01:04:13 pm »
Actually thinking on it, that would make it too easy.  You're right.  I love the idea, but I think it would be too tempting and we'd always have it nagging in the backs of our heads.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 01:15:24 pm by FML|Mage »
Hi

Offline FML|Renaud

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • ex King of FFA
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: FML_Renaud
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 01:27:22 pm »
We can make that menu have a little +/- so that the streamer can hide it (and only look at it from time to time... kind of like when he click on buildings from time to time to check gold of individual players).

However custom map means everyone has to download the maps, which might mean less replay download, broken parser, etc

If you still want it I can have a look at it

Offline Meeds

• FML Bets Season 2 Winner
  • Tauren
    • View Profile
    • GProxy++
  • B.net Account: Meeds.
  • Coins: 20
  • Race: Human
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 01:34:20 pm »
kinda dangerous? Anyone on stream could actually provide an exact gold count to any player in game...

I don't understand, the gold info is already available when you click on any player building ? the panel will just show a summary of this.
Same thing for wood/food

Ugri2

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 01:37:47 pm »
there isnt a click which can give a player the information on exactly how much everyone has and compare every amount at the same time.

I get your point but this is far more worse and I dont think that it is really worth it. The streamers will comment on the gold count when it is necessary

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: WorpeX
  • Race: Undead
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 01:42:19 pm »
I've made them before. The problem is you have to remake every map to have those triggers, which is time consuming. Also i'm always hesitant of maps which dont have the official 'melee map' insignia next to them. Once its a custom map, anything can be changed to it.

Also, i've been an observer on maps which have had these features and it really ends up being more of a gimmick then anything else. I always turned it off cause it was annoying and I could find the information on my own. lol

Offline Persuade

• FML Contributor
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: persuade
  • Race: Random
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 01:46:43 pm »
Mage, just increase your APM by 10 and check the gold/wood count more often.

Offline FML|Mage

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 02:33:17 pm »
Worpex, all valid points though I do think that it would be actually useful in big FFA matches. 

But as I said after Ugri originally posted, I agree with him after thinking about it some more.  It will be possible to get the information assuming we stream no matter how, but this would make it easier than it needs to be.
Hi