May 17, 2024, 08:39:35 am

Author Topic: MICRO - Actions  (Read 4441 times)

Ugri2

MICRO - Actions
« on: October 25, 2012, 12:58:37 pm »
After battling LW and Maga on Hurricane, I checked the replay Parser to get information on the micro actions we did. I need some help to understand some facts.

To what refer these following actions :

- Basic Commands
- Select / Deselect
- Select Subgroup

When I compare the apm on a 3h game, I get 81 while they have 150+.
Maga has twice more right click than me, LW 50% more.

Are these right click of any use or it is just to keep you focused before battle?

I have way more "basic commands" than you two (380 vs 120 / 78). What is it that I use too much to micro probably that i shouldnt?

I am REALLY trying to improve my micro these last weeks but I am sure that there are just habits that I have which fucks me up.

---------------------------------------------------

Also could someone tell me how to hotkey the inventory (id like to use the wheel mouse buton to staff)

thks!

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: WorpeX
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Undead
Re: MICRO - Actions
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 01:32:11 pm »
Download warkeys, they have a feature in that for hotkeying your inventory to a mouse button.

As for the micro stuff, the key thing is large battles. I read somewhere to have a system when doing large battles and to keep going through that system during a fight. First, check your heroes and micro acordingly, then your first control group, second, etc etc and then back to the heroes again. Having a system keeps you from freezing during the battle and being like "uhhhhh what do!?".

Granted, thats all theory, and Its way easier said then done. I never could get the hang of it. haha

Offline FML|Mage

• FML Bets Season 1 Winner
  • Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: practice_mage
  • Race: Night Elf
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 01:37:54 pm »
What is this micro you speak of?
Hi

Offline FML|Renaud

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • ex King of FFA
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: FML_Renaud
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 01:54:40 pm »

Mb it's the key to beating mass fd?

Offline FML|Mage

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 02:03:28 pm »

Mb it's the key to beating mass fd?

Huh, maybe.  Or maybe the key is just to hunt rush someone who consistently masses fds.
Hi

Ugri2

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 02:06:44 pm »
Can you not troll this please ~~

Lightweight!

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 02:23:14 pm »
I am not using any programms except from wc3.exe while playing. I tried to play with warkeys some years ago but i didnt like it. So i still play with the standart keys. I know every hotkey with hum/orc and lab/shop/merc keys. Neither is use the numpad.

When i have 100 supply i controll 3 groups with orc (sometimes 4 when i have bats and wyvern, bats seperate) and 4-5 with human. Human is a bit more difficult when i use gyros, because they take 2 groups easily and they require much micro.

For example i fight you in a 100vs100 battle orc vs ud i do the following order:
1. Casting lust/link/heal wards/stasis trap
2. Blow bats into your air
3. Micro wyvern to hit air or heros
4. Use hero abilities
5. Scrolls/Invu

My biggest problem is huge ud/elf air armies with mass hippo/garg, because i can't target heros with a hex. Sometimes i hex a garg and all my focus is for ass. On 50-80 supply orc is probably the strongest race.

Edit: Also since the dark ranger is a huge problem for orc, i always try to keep a walker in the back of my army to disenchant the silence even if i lose my lust/link. If you cant use hex/stomp/wards in a battle you will lose 80 % of the fights.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 02:26:38 pm by Lightweight! »

Offline CatLikeThief

• Grunt
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: PLZLEAVEDUCK
  • Race: Random
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 02:44:00 pm »
I know to improve my micro I downloaded UD Micro trainer and typed in "I want to play like sweet", which handicaps your army on each level by 60% hp I think.

In real games position is probably the most important. Spamming right click is useful in different ways in early vs late game i think. Early game if I have dk 4 fiends vs blademaster 4 grunts, I don't just micro the fiend that is being attacked back, I move every fiend in an opposite direction, so that when the orc stops targeting the one fiend he has to walk twice as far to begin attacking my other fiend. This requires a lot of right clicking obviously and allows me to get extra hits on while he runs around and I can micro the fiends back before they even get hit.

In big fights (100/100) the most important thing is unit positioning. Make sure the units hotkeyed together do the same type of dmg(piercing for example). If you have destro shift click them on the grunts very quickly if you can. I micro my heroes in battles and I got to go now so ask me if u need help bye.

Lightweight!

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 03:01:41 pm »
It is curious that "solo pros" like duck/rain/starshaped (although starshaped is a medium player in my eyes) should be better in 100 vs 100 battles, but they are not.

1. Duck keeps losing 100 vs 100 battles because he is overwhelmed with controlling more than 3 groups so he keeps being raped by 100 supply elfs.

2. Starshaped has been outclassed by me in 100vs100 fights at our market fml game last season while he was sitting behind mass towers and complaining about orc imba (unlikely no replay because it was a save).

3. Rain kept losing every 1vs1 battle against Renaud in his recent game.

The best thing to do against the solo guys is to make 100 supply armies, because this is where they feel uncomfortable. In solo they controll 30-40 supply armies with a maximum of 80 supply.
Now what is harder to micro. 50 supply armies like you do in solo all the time or 80-100 supply like in ffa?

Don't fear the solo noobs, they can't beat real ffa player with a high win percentage.

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: WorpeX
  • Race: Undead
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 04:36:40 pm »
Solo and FFA are two different skill sets. Solo uses smaller army sizes and I guarantee you that the players with an extensive solo background will dominate in this field. In these fights the player needs to look at each and every unit and try not to lose ANY of them. This is one of the best ways to secure an economic advantage in solo.

In a 100 food battle, you need to look at the army as a whole. You can't save every single unit. Thus, players with little experience in these battles tend freeze and become overwhelmed with the army size. My background is in solo, so I have a lot of trouble in these fights as well.

Its two completely different game dynamics. Unless the player practices both gametypes, FFA players will get owned by the soloers in solo and the solo players will struggle in FFA. Neither one of them are noobs!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 04:38:12 pm by FML|WorpeX »

Offline Redkeekee

• Tauren
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Redkeekee
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 05:45:13 pm »
Ez:
Switch to elf and 50-60% of your army only needs to attack move!

...except vs tanks  :icon_sad:

But in srsness, what Duck said about positioning is pretty key, you can ignore 90% of what lw said.  I would add: even in solo positioning is absolutely pivotal, no matter how small the army.  Actually controlling your units is secondary to having them in the right place.   Examples: keeping your hippos out of tank range.  catching ground units in a choke while using an air army.  catching an air army in the open while using a ground army.

Fighting with ALL your army in range of something while inhibiting parts of their army from being in range/able to attack is the ultimate goal.   If you look at my most recent game where I was fighting sparkle in his base, I was chipping at tanks while they were stuck running around the corner, all my chims were hitting, his stuff was stuck trying to move around.  That's what you want to try to do in big battles AND small.  The individual clicking comes after that.
:ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne:

:ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne: :ne:

Lightweight!

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 06:21:31 pm »
"you can ignore 90% of what lw said"

Yeah, keep punching me. Positioning is important, but they key for winning a game is the overview. Ebo wasn't a high skilled guy, but he had a chance of winning every game he was involved, because he scouted more than anyone else.

Elf is the easiest to controll in my eyes. Throw in some hippos, move them back use scrolls, let chims attack the tanks, panda bof move back so tanks get out of range and do the same again. Tanks are a problem if you arent prepared for them and at low hero levels. In my eyes tanks aren't overpowered. They are a t3 unit and have the longest build time. We had many topics about imbaness and yes orc/hu are strong, but elf players can move their whole main and undead players can sell and easily rebuild fast everywhere. hu/orc suck at rebuilding fast.

Offline FML|Renaud

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • ex King of FFA
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: FML_Renaud
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 06:36:45 pm »
Derail: start
Why would hu/orc ever need to rebuild fast? They have the best base defense~
Derail: end

Of course micro isn't everything, and big picture stuff is very important, scrolls, position, hero choice, etc, etc

But players like maga are great because they have both.

I think ugri's situation is that he feels he knows enough of the big picture stuff, and should start working on his clicking

So stop telling him the big picture stuff!!! He knows that! (right?)

Now: what the hell are you clicking and why!

I get ~85 at most, 80 of those are big picture stuff, lets work on boosting that little 5!

Ugri2

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 07:50:49 pm »
Derail: start
Why would hu/orc ever need to rebuild fast? They have the best base defense~
Derail: end

Of course micro isn't everything, and big picture stuff is very important, scrolls, position, hero choice, etc, etc

But players like maga are great because they have both.

I think ugri's situation is that he feels he knows enough of the big picture stuff, and should start working on his clicking

So stop telling him the big picture stuff!!! He knows that! (right?)

Now: what the hell are you clicking and why!

I get ~85 at most, 80 of those are big picture stuff, lets work on boosting that little 5!

always the smartest! :icon_wink:

Offline FML|Mage

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 08:11:48 pm »
Hi