May 05, 2024, 06:57:10 am

Author Topic: [Article] Making the Cut #2  (Read 4935 times)

Offline FML|WorpeX

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Crypt Lord King
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: WorpeX
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Undead
[Article] Making the Cut #2
« on: October 23, 2013, 11:26:31 am »
:hu: :ne: :orc: :ud: :ra: :ra2: :hu: :ne: :orc: :ud: :ra: :ra2: 

Making the Cut #2

With week 4 now underway, we have a whole list of players who need a win in order to secure themselves into the next round of FML. This article is a follow up to the wildly unsuccessful first edition aptly named Making the Cut #1 where we will go into detail on how each player will have to play in order to survive into week 5!!!

Who gets eliminated?

The last cutting period was rather small and nothing to really get excited about. The large majority of the players who got cut had already quit the league. Furthermore, we let 4 extra players stay in the league when they should have been cut (in theory). So, we have a lot of players still in the league. That only means that a lot of players will get cut.

This round, we are cutting the field down to 20 (or 24) players. This means that over half the field will be cut.

Who is already in round 5?

This will not be an easy round to survive!!! What makes things even more complicated is that only 6 players have themselves firmly locked into a round 5 spot at the end of round 3. Those players are:  :France: Jey_s_TeArS, :Russia: y.zenchenko, :USA: DarkFlameMaster, :Russia: toy0ta, :Russia: LudiX, :USA: DarknessCalls. All the remaining week 5 slots are still up for grabs!

As of the writing of this post, 3 others have locked themselves in as well. :Bulgaria: Magadansky, :Germany: Yaws and :Serbia: Svedirko.

The "Point Bubble"

It's too early right now to say exactly how many points its going to take to survive into week 5. Here is what we do know:

51+ Points will advance
50 Points ???
-49 Points will not advance

Will players at 50 points advance? It's hard to say. By putting fake results into a spreadsheet, it came up with 20th place being a player at 50 points but 19th place had 51. Its going to largely come down to how many upsets there are and if subs win games or not. We could be looking at the point bubble being 50 points. It's safe to say that if you can avoid getting 50 points, avoid it. You don't want your fate to fall into the hands of a bad tie-breaker - or even worse, not advancing at all.

However, if 50 points is your only shot at making it into round 5 - GO FOR IT!! Especially when you consider that we may let in an additional 4 players depending on how difficult it is to break ties. The chances of players at that point level making it into the next round is looking good... just not looking great.

Point Spectrum

Your Current Points --> Result you need

46 --> 5 points should lock you into a round 5 spot. Just don't forget to show up.

45 --> 10 points will get you into the next round. Don't get last - you don't want to be part of the tie-breaker (trust me). Don't get me wrong thought - i'm not advocating playing for 3rd here. If you want a chance at making it to the playoffs, a 3rd place finish is not going to cut it you're going to need to win.

40 --> I recommend going for the win or highest score as you don't want to be at 50 points. However, in the event that you are unsuccessful, you may have a chance with 50 points. It's just very risky. Whatever you do, don't get last!

36 to 26 --> You need to win the game to secure yourself into round 5. There are no other options for you.

25 --> You need to win the game as well, however, even if you do you'll be part of the 50 point bubble and may end up losing out on a tie-breaker. HOWEVER, you may win the tie-breaker... it's worth a shot and its also the only shot you may have to keep your FML season alive.

Who is already out?

In fact, not very many players are playing just for the fun of it. Out of 46 players in the league... only 5 players have no chance to make it into round 5. One of them being myself (:USA: WorpeX)since I just lost my round 4 match. The others being: :Germany: Pinballmap, :Peru: NoMercy2, :USA: FiRel)rAgOn:Kazakhstan: A-r-m-a. Luckily for everyone else with a chance still, all 4 of these guys are in the same match!! So they wont be purposely screwing up anyones chances. Perhaps they will have some fun this round and make it a unique game to watch regardless of what happens!!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 01:13:40 pm by FML|WorpeX »

Offline FML|Mage

• FML Bets Season 1 Winner
  • Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: practice_mage
  • Race: Night Elf
Re: [Article] Making the Cut #2
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 11:43:38 am »
Awesome article!
Hi

Offline Pinballmap

• FML Contributor
  • Super-Blademaster
  • Replay Master
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Pinballmap
  • Race: Orc
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 11:58:28 am »
Oh im out even when i win my game.  FML ! (In this case FML means "Fuck my ife" )
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 12:12:07 pm by FML|Pinballmap »

Offline Meeds

• FML Bets Season 2 Winner
  • Tauren
    • View Profile
    • GProxy++
  • B.net Account: Meeds.
  • Coins: 20
  • Race: Human
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 12:08:56 pm »
Nice artical ! Cannot wait for my game :)

Offline Meeds

• FML Bets Season 2 Winner
  • Tauren
    • View Profile
    • GProxy++
  • B.net Account: Meeds.
  • Coins: 20
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 12:19:02 pm »
How DarknessCalls can have a bonus of 5 points ?

Offline FML|Mage

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 12:22:34 pm »
He gave us notice he wouldn't be able to make the game so we could sub him.  Players that let us know they will not be able to play the game are awarded 5 points, and actually have the option of picking who will sub for them as long as admins approve it.
Hi

Offline onebillion

• Peon
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: orcs7ar
  • Race: Random
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 01:03:11 pm »

Making the Cut #2

With week 4 now underway, we have a whole list of players who need a win in order to secure themselves into the next round of FML. This article is a follow up to the wildly unsuccessful first edition aptly named Making the Cut #1 where we will go into detail on how each player will have to play in order to survive into week 5!!!

:icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

Offline Jey_s_TeArS

• Official FML Streamer
  • Shaman
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Jey_s_TeArS
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 01:38:13 pm »
Ok very glad to read that i ll pass this cut, but will there be a reset after that round?  I mean do we have an incentive to kill the guy in our game that does may end up in tie break? 

Offline FML|Mage

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 01:40:45 pm »
Points do not reset no.  However after round 6 only 10 people advance so you have a rather large incentive to win!
Hi

Offline Jey_s_TeArS

• Official FML Streamer
  • Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 02:03:21 pm »
10 is not a multiple of 4 in a basis 10 system
How would you make 2/3 games at round 6? Or do you plan on saying top 2 get into the final and ranks 3 to 10 have to win their game to play it ?

Offline Persuade

• FML Contributor
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: persuade
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 02:07:26 pm »
yes

after round 6, 3-10 play two semi final games and 1/2 are auto seeded

Offline Jey_s_TeArS

• Official FML Streamer
  • Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 02:14:30 pm »
That s huge ! Meaning all players in p39, also j33 in some outcomes, play for a ticket to the final! The article should mention it

Offline Persuade

• FML Contributor
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: persuade
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 02:25:36 pm »
not necessarily...

There are 3 games left in the regular season, not 2.

Hypothetical, DFM gets a win, he has 85, then gets 4th twice. Ends at 95 points.

Someone with 40 points can also get 95 if they win round 4/5 and 4th round 6.

Offline FML|Renaud

• Administrator
  • Super-Blademaster
  • ex King of FFA
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: FML_Renaud
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 03:05:36 pm »
btw, from what I saw, there are between 18 and 22 players that will end up with 51+ points
BUT this is assuming that there are no subs, and as we saw last round, 3 subs managed to win 25 points, if that kind of thing happens again, we might actually see a lot more players with 50 points making it!

And just a note to everything aiming for the 3rd place in order to barely make it:
Barely making it means that you will most likely need two wins in a row in round 5-6 in order to make it to the semi finals.  And chances are that the matches of round 5 & 6 will be much harder

Offline NoMercy2

• Global Moderator
  • Shaman
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: D2sTRUCT8
  • Race: Undead
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 07:49:17 pm »
Good Job Worpex im gonna win my game just to say its close to pass next round xD