May 14, 2024, 09:57:08 pm

Author Topic: Created a map: Glaciers End  (Read 1971 times)

Offline Dovekie

• Shaman
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Dovekie
  • Coins: 100
  • Race: Night Elf
Created a map: Glaciers End
« on: September 25, 2013, 08:11:45 pm »
Its called Glaciers End.  Its a 4 player map.

http://www.epicwar.com/maps/234430/

Recent changes:
-Spent more time in putting trees perfectly next to each other.
-Spread camps out a little more and made sure everything but expo-creeps are set to 'camp'
-Made southern mid expansion slightly more roomy, to be on par with the other 3.
-Toughened the mid creeps a little bit with some more spells, AoE, and added a couple units per camp.
-Mid now drops a level 7 artifact instead of level glyph of omniscience (though, as a frequent potm user, I don't think it's that big a deal)
-Evened out everyone's base entrances. They are all about the same size now.
-Added critters
-Added some doodads like rocks and some glaciers to make it look a little nicer in some spots.
-Made all naturals more in unison.
-Maybe a few more things that I don't remember.

Its still in beta mode... I really like the idea of it, but I'm not exactly sure what in it needs to be changed, if anything, or if a lot of stuff (whether terrain, doodads, balance, or something else).  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Mains set to 12,500 gold
Nats to 17,500
Mid expos @ 15,000

Lots of creep camps, some with fallen creep revives (I love these things, so I added a couple.. like level 5-6 creeps000)

More than 1 type of merc camp, basically all the ice ones. Mainly for the web spinners and minotaur warrior things.

From my testing, it seems to actually be pretty fast paced, even though you can play it campy.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 11:11:08 pm by Dovekie »

Offline Jey_s_TeArS

• Official FML Streamer
  • Shaman
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: Jey_s_TeArS
  • Race: Human
Re: Created a map: Glaciers End
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 04:53:02 am »
nice, I ll test it!

edit: First impression, the map is really beautiful. Reviving creeps are very fun, especially the mighty magnator. There is really a lot of creeps around the spawn, meaning that you level up very very quickly, a bit too much imho. the camp of fulrog with 2 fighters one caster can be taken down at lvl 1 and drop book of dead, the tuskar version is a little easyer also, that is really too powerfull, I would fast this and rush my less lucky neighboor or creep a red with it and get heavy items/revived fellas
Nerubian spot at south attacked me while walking by during the day.
Tryed a fast creeping path, droped an healing ward, went creep out the lab, got an inner fire caster and a wand of wind, did easyly one center goldmine with wand, bought a shredder to make my way into the center, creeped out the center with a book bought at the market and my last ward... WOW rune that reveal all the map ! and inferno stone!! after creeping that you are lvl 5 and got at least 2 hardcore items. A huge dragon instead of the huge magnator could prevent that, I am not sure of the effect of full reveal in ffa but that s a good idea imho.

here is a rep with the creeping and some pathing prob
http://www.ffareplays.com/parse.php?file=creeeping%20path

gg and gl!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 06:22:54 am by Jey_s_TeArS »

Offline Persuade

• FML Contributor
  • Super-Blademaster
    • View Profile
  • B.net Account: persuade
  • Race: Random
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 11:38:00 am »
Few changes:

Since it's a 4 player map, remove the creeps at spawning locations, there's no need for them

Fix items.

Generally you should follow these guidelines.

Levels 3-8: Level 1 permanent or power up.
Levels 8-11: Level 2 permanent, charge, or power up.
Levels 11-14: Level 1 permanent or power up and Level 2 permanent, charge, or power up.
Levels 14-17: Level 1 permanent or power up and Level 3 permanent or charge.
Levels 18-21: Level 2 permanent, charge, or power up and Level 4 permanent or charge.
Levels 21-23: Level 2 permanent, charge, or power up and Level 5 permanent or charge.
Levels 23-26: Level 2 permanent, charge, or power up and Level 6 permanent or charge.
Levels 26-29: Level 1 permanent or power up and Level 3 permanent or charge and Level 7 artifact.

Currently you have potential for certain races only able to creep certain spots earlier, grabbing  a power item, and being able to remove a player rather easily.

There's an option on a creep called Target Acquisition Range.  Unless they are at an expo they should all be at "camp", while if they are an an expo they should be at "normal".

- Polar fulbolg camp (the one with level 4 charged) drops a level 1 charged item, which does not exist.

- One thing I hate telling new map players is the pathing feature.  Go to View > Pathing > Ground.  Notice all those areas between the trees?  Yea those need to be fixed unfortunately.  As an example look at any Blizzard map, the trees should be TIGHT, nothing should be able to get through.

I'll look more later, but other than the minor changes I like the map, many options are available to players (the dual merc camp).  I'm a little hesitant about the ability to amass a large army very early (rune of rebirth on almost everything) but playtesting should be able to balance this.

Offline Dovekie

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 04:19:48 pm »
Wow, thanks a lot for all the input.

@Jey_s_TeArS

-Thanks, I really like the snow/grass/dirt/rock combination as well. It has always bugged my why there aren't more maps with that tileset, as its nice to look at.  Same with revives, I don't know why more people don't make maps with them.

-I took an orange creep and replaced it with a green, then moved the old orange creep to take the spot of a bigger one, resulting in less XP from both places. I also took out the high level charged item.  I definitely spaced out on that one.

-Thanks for the dragon suggestion.. I thought the mid creep would be much, much harder but you took it out very quickly and easily. I changed it to the dragon.  I don't think the glyph of reveal all is too big a deal, but maybe it will go if there are a lot of complaints.  What I want to know is if other players can hear if someone uses the glyph, that way they can all know who crept mid, but I don't think I should mess with triggers on a melee map.

@Persuade

-About 80% of the creeps had that item level guideline, but I fixed a few of them so now its pretty much 100% of them. I was looking for that list but couldn't find it, thanks for posting it.  The center creeps now have level 4/5 creep with them to make it red and to warrant the level 5 permanent. And the ridiculous charged item isn't dropped any more.  I also fixed the level 1 charged as well. I slightly strengthened the green creeps to warrant the level 2 permanent.

-Ah, the trees.  I had spent like an hour getting them all good, but I didn't know about that pathing thing.  After another half hour, they should be much better now. It also helped me fix some spots on the ground where the ground was too low and there was invisible water.

-I took out another revive, so now there is 1 revive per corner, and 1 revive for the center merc camps and labs. 8 total, 2 per player if played evenly, though I'd imagine people fighting for the inner fire dude by the shredders as opposed to the weaker web spinners.

-I had all the close camps set to "200" range, but not the far ones. I guess it makes sense to edit it, it just seems like elf can AoW creep easier with that on.  Anyways, I changed all of them to 200 range except for all the possible expos, which remain at 500.  I also am gonna leave the creeps at the mains, just so it feels more complete.  I can't count the number of times I have messed around on 4 player maps with less than 4 people, and that is reason enough for me. Anyone else will be able to do the same.

One thing I tried to do was reward the people who go out and do stuff a little more than the people who sit and tech up/hoard.  That being said, the people who do the latter are able to creep the mid easier, and can buy their way into good items anyway through the marketplace, and they have more gold in the end, so it is still balanced in that regard, in my opinion.

Thank you for all the suggestions.  I'll upload an updated version.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 04:23:22 pm by Dovekie »

Offline Dovekie

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 04:26:36 pm »

Offline Dovekie

• Shaman
    • View Profile